• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I finally finished up one of my papers today. Still need to make a powerpoint presentation for it. But, I'm glad I got it done and submitted. I have two other papers due in the coming weeks, one of which is due this week. Gonna take care of that tomorrow, because I'll need to present on Wed. Which means I'll be in school all day long tomorrow to make sure I get it done. Yet another 11-hour day tomorrow. Sigh.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just got home from the mechanic, my car has an issue that is gonna cost about $1000 :/ Plus, in 10 days car registration is due ($600). So in short, I'm not having a car for a while.

Plus, the only way for me to earn $$ is my shifts at work, some of which finish at 1am. Walking home at that time is gonna be totally safe...

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
"Nunca somos, sempre estamos!" is a line from this Portuguese quote that I really like but can't figure out for the life of me how to translate that into English for someone so that it conveys the same nuance.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Gonna be in school all day again today. An 11-hour day. I've got a paper to write on the effects of sleep deprivation on the brain for Biology, plus a short powerpoint presentation to make for it. Shouldn't be too hard... I hope.

I'm just glad that I have more food money to last me through the day. Last week I only had $7 to last me 11 hours. Today I have $14, thankfully.

Salem

SICK
Gonna be in school all day again today. An 11-hour day. I've got a paper to write on the effects of sleep deprivation on the brain for Biology, plus a short powerpoint presentation to make for it. Shouldn't be too hard... I hope.
You'll need Fig, he makes a great case study.;)

Sorry Fig.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
"Never we are, ever we are!"(?) It would probably be best to try translating it based on the context provided by the rest of the quote.

Thanks for your input, Wolf!

Well, the "somos" implies a permanent state of being whilst the "estamos" implies a temporary state of being which is what's making it difficult for me. I'm pretty sure in this instance, it's metaphorical. The lines before it are "Tudo é vário. Temporário. Efêmero.", meaning something like, "Everything is varied. Temporary. Ephemeral.". It then follows up with "Nunca somos, sempre estamos!". It's kind of like "never are we permanent, always ...". It's the "estamos" that's giving me the most trouble as I can't think of a decent word to convey that nuance of a temporary state of being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom