• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

IGN's ORAS Review #TooMuchWater

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
So yesterday i was reading the review on IGN. Now i know IGN's reviews suck most of the time but this time i have seen it all. So funny i just had to share it and make a thread about it.

The original R/S games got a 9.5. This time it got a 7.8 because of "too many HM's and "too much water".

Normally the comments would be filled with people looking for a fanboy fight or something, but this time i actualy agree with the comments. Never would i have guessed that i would actualy say this. The #TooMuchWater basicly became a meme.

Share your thoughts and opinions about this review?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
toomuchwater.png

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It's just his opinion. I have friends who hate Pokemon and would rate it 1/10 if asked, are they wrong? Nope, just an opinion. This guy just so happens to get paid by IGN for offering and articulating his. So what's my opinion on his opinion? I have none, but I appreciate reading his thoughts on the game. I got bored surfing around all the time too, I'd stock up on repel just to make it endurable, so I can understand his criticism too.

I know it's popular to hate on reviewers who's opinions differ, I remember when Witcher 2 released to 10's and 9's and then Destructoid gave it a 5/10, was Jim wrong for giving it that? Not at all, he didn't like the game, and explained why. It's nice to hear another side of the coin, even if I didn't agree with it. And it's not like the IGN reviewer even gave this game a bad score. 7.8 is still very good. Like I said above I also agree with the "meme" of too much water, it is annoying.

But the internet will always be the internet. --E Grab 'em!

Honestly, I don't blame the guy for the "too much water" excuse. That's actually one of the reasons why I hated surfing in the original games. The fact you come across so many Tentacools & Tentacruels while going to another area, it just hurts the experience for me. 7.8's not bad, but sadly, this is one of a few official reviews I have to agree on because of the water thing.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It's just his opinion.

You use this as a defense way too often. The issue at hand isn't that the reviewer thought there was "too much water", it's that the bulk of the review was spent praising the upgrades the remakes gave the original classics... only for the final score to be a 7.8, which while good, is very contradictory of the amount of praise that the review offered.

"Too much water" isn't reasonably enough to make the score sink like a rock in comparison to what it would have been, especially given that most of the adventure is actually spent on land.

Honestly, I don't blame the guy for the "too much water" excuse. That's actually one of the reasons why I hated surfing in the original games. The fact you come across so many Tentacools & Tentacruels while going to another area, it just hurts the experience for me. 7.8's not bad, but sadly, this is one of a few official reviews I have to agree on because of the water thing.

Bro, do you even Repel?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
You use this as a defense way too often. The issue at hand isn't that the reviewer thought there was "too much water", it's that the bulk of the review was spent praising the upgrades the remakes gave the original classics... only for the final score to be a 7.8, which while good, is very contradictory of the amount of praise that the review offered.

"Too much water" isn't reasonably enough to make the score sink like a rock in comparison to what it would have been, especially given that most of the adventure is actually spent on land.

You do realise that this game has been receiving 8/10 scores from most outlets? 8's being the most common with a few 9's, based on the NeoGAF review thread, and some lower, and the game is sat at an 84/100 on Metacritic right now. So I fail to see how they made the score "sink like a rock" based on this criticism when clearly they did not and this IGN score is still very much in-line with the average scores of most other review sites except for 6 points removed if we use Metacritic as our average. So "sink like a rock" is 6/100? Her criticism is perfectly legitimate, I agree with her comment, it seems like she knocked off 2 points because of it which is very reasonable, including the bundled argument of the environments being boring to navigate ("too much water" was very much just a summary of that over-arching complaint and the worst offender) but people will get their knickers in a twist about anything these days huh.

Last edited:

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
So yesterday i was reading the review on IGN. Now i know IGN's reviews suck most of the time but this time i have seen it all. So funny i just had to share it and make a thread about it.

The original R/S games got a 9.5. This time it got a 7.8 because of "too many HM's and "too much water".

Normally the comments would be filled with people looking for a fanboy fight or something, but this time i actualy agree with the comments. Never would i have guessed that i would actualy say this. The #TooMuchWater basicly became a meme.

Share your thoughts and opinions about this review?

Are all they all reviewed by the same guy? If not, then there's no point in discussion unless it's about making sure all reviews are done by the same individual.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
You do realise that this game has been receiving 8/10 scores from most outlets? 8's being the most common with a few 9's, based on the NeoGAF review thread, and some lower, and the game is sat at an 84/100 on Metacritic right now. So I fail to see how they made the score "sink like a rock" based on this criticism when clearly they did not and this IGN score is still very much in-line with the average scores of most other review sites except for 6 points removed if we use Metacritic as our average. So "sink like a rock" is 6/100? Her criticism is perfectly legitimate, I agree with her comment, it seems like she knocked off 2 points because of it which is very reasonable, but people will get their knickers in a twist about anything these days huh.

Somewhat exaggeratory wording, but it was based on just how much praise was being given. The review is largely positive, again, talking about how much of an upgrade the remakes were over the originals, which were raved over. It's an educated guess, one that I feel is accurate.

Of course, I don't really give two ****s about what IGN or any other review site has to say because the modern gaming press is corrupt & unreliable as hell, but this was something so humorous that I just had to say something. XD

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's just one review. Usually I don't mind IGN's scores, I feel as if they give a rather fair score for the majority of games nowadays. This idea that Nintendo is treated badly by IGN (slightly off topic) is completely imaginary as they praise Nintendo games a lot.

I'm sure other things contributed to the score they gave. Some IGN reviews, video reviews being an example, are rather short, so they focus on very few things. There's probably much more, not brought to light in the review, that made them choose that score. So I wouldn't put it down to one single point, however nitpicky that point may be.

Fact is, their review isn't even far off the metacrtic average rating. Remakes tend to get lower scores than the original even though, one could say, they're actually better. It's because they don't have that same feeling of playing for the first time. They'll try to recreate that feeling with some nice upgrades and possible new gimmicks, but it's never going to be the same score. There's also other factors, such as the general standard being different, expectations being different, games being different, and the reviewer being different.

I never get why people hate on IGN so much and then actually read their reviews and take them to heart. If you hate them that much and, don't respect their reviews, then why are you so bothered by them?

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
It's just his opinion. I have friends who hate Pokemon and would rate it 1/10 if asked, are they wrong? Nope, just an opinion. This guy just so happens to get paid by IGN for offering and articulating his. So what's my opinion on his opinion? I have none, but I appreciate reading his thoughts on the game. I got bored surfing around all the time too, I'd stock up on repel just to make it endurable, so I can understand his criticism too.

I know it's popular to hate on reviewers who's opinions differ, I remember when Witcher 2 released to 10's and 9's and then Destructoid gave it a 5/10, was Jim wrong for giving it that? Not at all, he didn't like the game, and explained why. It's nice to hear another side of the coin, even if I didn't agree with it. And it's not like the IGN reviewer even gave this game a bad score. 7.8 is still very good. Like I said above I also agree with the "meme" of too much water, it is annoying.

But the internet will always be the internet. --E Grab 'em!

The reviewer is a freelance girl by the way.

Now its not like i completely disagree with the critics. but a -2.2 just for these two reasons feels like a desprate attempt to finds some negative points. Gen 3 was the first that HM Dive used for explorations. Not to mention that you only need like 2 HM slaves like linoone and trohpius. Now Rock Climb and Defog in gen 4 was totally unnessecary.

Hoenn is a Island, and water is also involved with the storyline. Sure Surfing can be annoying, but thats in all pokemon games. If it was just one big void just to fill in space, then i would agree.

But yeah, i read the "its his or her opinion" alot there. The thing is, IGN is supposed to be one of the big proffesional game sites. One persons review there represents the opinion of IGN as well. Like this can influence people to buy a game or not. So yes, this is what i find funny with IGN reviews. In this case, ORAS scored a 7.8 like the recent AC Unity wich was criticized by "weak story" and "unrefinded stealth". Now these are points i could understand giving a -2.2. (dispite the score should be lower by rehashing the same stuff over and over + it still has online issues + the game has so many bugs that already a 3rd patch is on the way.)

#TooMuchWater

D

Deleted member 14134

This is bull****! I'm going to get all worked up over someones opinion and let it ruin the experience I had playing the game. Oh wait I haven't played it so I wouldn't know. Also, even though the reviewer supported his reasons it was wrong of him to give a game I'm excited for from a beloved series anything lower than a 8.5. Blasphemy! Perhaps rioting and burning the reviewer to a stake is the best course of action.

Or you know, I could play the game and not worry about other people's opinions.

Nah, I like the first option better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom