• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Confession Thread *SERIOUS REPLIES*

Ganondork

goo
I feel like whites should get a history month in America. There said it now pliz dont kill me.

The short reply is every single month is white history month.

The long reply is much more complicated than that. First of all, what is, "White?" It's a blanket term, to put it simply. Do you know who is considered white? Europeans, Middle Easterners, and North Africans. Let's look at this really quick.

This man:

Burak-bali-Beg.jpg

Is the same race as this man:

d80a005fcfb40279092b81c6c9e73a3f.jpg

In case you didn't know, the top man is a man of Turkish descent. The one on the bottom is Bradley Cooper, an American born to an Italian mother and an Irish father. Surely you can see how different these people are, culturally, linguistically, religiously, etc. In fact, comparing the two is nearly impossible. The closest you can really argue is the close trade relationship Italians have maintained with Turks, and how it has affected their respective cultures. However, placing them in the same race is quite silly.

In fact, "White," is such a blanket term that, just separating these people into Anglo-Saxon and Caucasian would already make grouping a lot easier. Anglo-Saxon could, theoretically cover Northern, Western, and parts of Southern Europe. Caucasian would cover Eastern Europe and the Middle East. North Africa could possibly be bundled in, given the large Arab population, but that's not my area of expertise.

Now, with all of this kept in mind: what would be covered in white history month? Would we discuss Muslims in the Middle East? Christians of Western Europe? Would we discuss the Crusades, the many conquests of the growing Arab empires shortly after the founding of Islam? Would the building of Cairo be taught over the toppling of Tenochtitlan?

The fact is that "White" history is just as broad as the term is. You have millenia of history to cover, spanning across hundreds of thousands of miles. And you have a single month to do it. Wouldn't it be wrong to favor discussing the adventures of Sir Francis Drake and entirely skip over Salah ad-Din Umar ibn Ayyub's siege of Jerusalem? Wouldn't it seem biased to discuss the Salem witch hunt and gloss over the Bolshevik Revolution?

And then consider this - many people that we know to be white today, were not considered white a century ago. If you were Italian, you weren't white. If you were Irish, you weren't white. The list goes on and on. So now you're dealing with not representing a huge population that we now deem, "White," because our ancestors did not see them as such. Their history was not viewed as a part of ours.

And now for my earlier statement: every month is white history month. Look around you. White people have the most representation, as they are the majority. Despite the prevalence of slavery, the Native American conflicts, and Mexican-American war, I have learned about more white people than I ever will about the minorities in our country throughout its history. I did not see Custer's Last Stand through the eyes of Crazy Horse. I did not see Wounded Knee through the lens of the Native Americans. I did not see the Alamo in the eyes of the Mexicans whose land was taken from them. I saw these events, as a white man, through the eyes of the white man.

The fact is that, while we recognize the wrongdoings we have done in the past (as evidenced by Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month), white people still have the most representation. And this has been the case throughout the history of America. The Dawes Act did not make the Americans more like Natives. It subjected them to our culture, and made them like us. We do not have a month dedicated to us, because we impose our heritage upon others each and every day. And this began the day we decided to, "Civilize the savages."

I don't say this to slander white people. I'm white. But the truth is that we are the overwhelming majority, and it's only right that we give Hispanics and Blacks their own months to dedicate to their history and heritages. We don't need one, because each and every month is white heritage month.

Sadia

Have a Punderful Day!
Thoughts of suicide come more then they should. I still think about it, all the time.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I honestly wish I was born female sometimes. Sometimes I feel like a girl trapped in a boy's body. I would be more comfortable with myself and feel like I'm more of myself if i was a woman. I don't want to get a sex change though. I don't want it to be artificial. No matter how much a doctor can change my appearance and my hormones I'll still have an X and a Y chromosome. Either way, I've been a male for 17 years. Changing would be too much and I don't think I can confidently go through that decision. I just feel I'd be more comfortable with liking pink or liking 5 Seconds of Summer or liking girly anime if I was a female. This isn't a sexuality thing either. I'm not attracted to males in any way. It's more of an identity thing.

That's why my gender is set as female here. I'm not doing it to be a jerk and trying to confuse you all. I just feel like I'm a female on the Inside so that's what I decided to identify as here.

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
i'm like two weeks behind in school (I do online school) and honestly i'm just too lazy and lack motivation to work at all so i'm really just getting myself into deeper crap and the worst part is i honestly don't care at all.

Gemquarry

The Inquirer
I honestly wish I was born female sometimes. Sometimes I feel like a girl trapped in a boy's body. I would be more comfortable with myself and feel like I'm more of myself if i was a woman. I don't want to get a sex change though. I don't want it to be artificial. No matter how much a doctor can change my appearance and my hormones I'll still have an X and a Y chromosome. Either way, I've been a male for 17 years. Changing would be too much and I don't think I can confidently go through that decision. I just feel I'd be more comfortable with liking pink or liking 5 Seconds of Summer or liking girly anime if I was a female. This isn't a sexuality thing either. I'm not attracted to males in any way. It's more of an identity thing.

That's why my gender is set as female here. I'm not doing it to be a jerk and trying to confuse you all. I just feel like I'm a female on the Inside so that's what I decided to identify as here.

So that's it Ayano! I was so curious about the topic from the What is the Most Surprising Thing About the User Above You? thread. I'm happy to understand now. You probably liked it when I called you 'her' didn't you? Well if you like, I can keep that up. Just to put it out there, you are a very unique person. You know you aren't a female and are not willing to mess with your body like that, you aren't gay, yet you still admit that you prefer girly things and even are titled as a female on here. I've never heard of anyone like that before, you certainly aren't of the majority who have accepted a label because they're peers pushed them into it. Very amazing Ayano ^^.

As for my own confession, I've gotta confess that I've had dumb and childish fears from watching things that are freaky, but shouldn't scare me like they do. 5 Nights at Freddy's has given me stupid night frights for the past 3 weeks just because I watched a Game theory on it: http://youtu.be/th_LYe97ZVc. When I'm in my bathroom alone I get the idea Golden Freddy is going to pop out of nowhere behind me, even though I KNOW he doesn't exist. Ridiculous -.-.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I don't have class today because the professor is at a funeral of a close friend. I feel glad that there's no class but I feel guilty about feeling glad because, y'know, death.

342e2aecc2.png

Um...

2fe24a582c.jpg

Did you miss the memo?

9d775f2644.jpg

Did you see how many others posted jokes? Yell at them. Even Justac00lguy made a joke.

I'll be serious if you guys need me to be, but I saw some other jokes and decided to make my own. So kill me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom