• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Lost Respect for Nintendo

• Thread starter Deleted member 14134
  • Start date
I've reluctantly accepted the whole DLC bandwagoning, Nintendo was going to do it sooner or later even though quite a few people will be let down by the move. To be honest though some game really did benefit from DLC, like Fire Emblem Awakening, and with Mario Kart 8... I think I would of preferred it if they kept within the Mario franchise, but that's just me.

As for Smash Bros DLC... Pinch of salt on that one. Anything Sakurai makes tends to be jam packed with content, adding DLC would seem redundant. We might get extra content if you link both versions of Super Smash bros but I'm pretty confident they're won't be DLC in Smash Bros.

I'll reiterate, I don't really care anymore about DLC. If it happens, it happens I'm not going to complain about it. I just think the world would be happier if DLC was free regardless of what it is, but obviously there is some "justification" in putting a price tag on it.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
The debate over the validity of things like DLC, short shorts, congressional pork, and continental drift are largely academic at this point, no? It's not like companies are going to suddenly stop making DLC. Microtransactions and add-on content are now a permanent part of the landscape due to their profitability. Arguing whether the system is just or not is akin to debating the merits of pure communism - it is a theoretical discussion completely separated from reality. Your only recourse now is to vote with your wallet and not buy them (spoilers: this is an election you're not winning).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'll definitely argue in your favor over Mario Kart DLC. MK8 felt like it was completely dry of content (hint: it was). For what the game was touted as, it only lasted me three hours.

>large roster
>massive amount of customizable kart parts
>numerous online modes
>great fan service
>still "completely dry of content"

I fail to see how this makes any sense.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Honestly, Nintendo has been doing on disc DLC by it's most basic definition with Pokemon since way back in '97 with Mew and Mythicals, Fire Emblem Blazing Sword and Thundering Axe and Sacred Stones with the Transfer Data Exclusive items (Wind Sword, Dragon Axe, Emblem Sword, etc. in 7 and Juna Fruit, Fiend Cleaver, ShadowKiller, Bright lance, and Beacon Bow in 8), and have been doing TRUE DLC (Where completely new data is added) since 2003 with the e-reader.

This is far from new for them either way.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
>large roster
>massive amount of customizable kart parts
>numerous online modes
>great fan service
>still "completely dry of content"

I fail to see how this makes any sense.
>artificially inflated by including every koopaling instead of actually interesting characters like Dry Bones and Birdo
>most of which are clones of each other and are merely about trade-offs rather than unique combinations (e.g. you won't find a kart that raises acceleration and lowers handling. seriously, try it.)
>backed by unreliable servers, poor matchmaking, and now a nonfunctional ranking system
>?
>I can see where he's coming from.
>also you can't forget about battle mode and MKTV

But on-topic, the alternatives to releasing this DLC as-is are to either delay the game nearly a year or wait and include that content in MK9. I'm sure you realize that delaying a completed game just for extra content isn't economically feasible for them, nor is it worth it for us. I'll engage in a slippery slope here, too. Say they delay the game to include the first DLC in november. November comes around and they've started on May's DLC. Better delay the game until May. May comes around and they've started working on even more content. Basically the game never gets released.

Including the content in MK9 is also unfavorable. That means less original content in MK9 (unless they delay it to include what would otherwise have been DLC, returning to the original argument). Ideas intended for MK9 might be pushed to MK10. And there's another slippery slope. Eventually you'll have to pay full price for a game that consists entirely of ideas that could have been included in previous games.

I think developing and releasing additional content to existing games is a much better strategy than continuously developing and releasing entirely new games that are just copies of their predecessors. It's better for Nintendo: They don't have to re-invent the wheel - that is, all the development activity that would otherwise start from scratch for a new game. It's better for us: We pay $12 for 16 more tracks plus characters and karts, maybe another $12 for another set further down the road, instead of paying $60 for 16 more tracks plus characters and karts and maybe an innovation or two at an even slower pace.

I'd like to see a robust Mario Kart game with basic features that work well. It might not even include battle mode. But then support that game for 10 years with balance updates, server improvements, extra tracks, characters, and modes (i.e. several different battle modes - bring back shine theif, bob-omb blast, etc.). I could envision myself paying $60 for the base game (which would be complete, though it might not have all the features expected from previous games), paying $20 for 32 more tracks, $5 for some new characters (skipping $15 worth of characters I didn't find interesting), and $15 for three battle modes, all while receiving free balance updates and seeing improvements to server stability and matchmaking. Yeah, I'd have spent $100 on one game, but that's loads better than spending $120 on two games with ultimately fewer features because of the wasted development time re-inventing the wheel.

Do the same with Mario Party. We don't need 10+ Mario Party games. We need one Mario Party game with thousands of mini-games, a couple dozen maps, a large character roster, and plenty of interesting modes, settings, and collectibles.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
JJ my friend, why wasn't this content made and released as part of the original game? Remember when you could pay for a game and get the full package? I hardly do now that one of the last great companies has resorted to these practices. Thank you for your time in responding to my post.

That would delay the game several months. The intention of DLC is to give the game more content after release, enhancing the gameplay experience. PC games have been doing this since the 90's. Do you really think Bloodmoon, Shivering Isles or Dragonborn would have become a part of the respective games they were released for if Bethesda just had added a few more months to the development of the respective games? In fact, as far as I know there has never been a game released in-complete (MMO's don't count) because of DLC. At least no good games. There is bad DLC, such as the costume DLCs for Hyrule Warriors, but Nintendo is one of the developers who know how to make proper DLC.

Nintendo is so bad with this kind of thing, it's disgusting. I bet Zelda Wii U will have the ending cut off and we're going to have to pay for it, and probably $6.99 per dungeon, and we'll have to pay $0.99 just to get Link's hat in the huge Hyrule Microtransaction store where you can buy extra colours for 49 cents each. Disgusting.

Don't forget Always Online DRM.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
>artificially inflated by including every koopaling instead of actually interesting characters like Dry Bones and Birdo

There could be a few more characters like those, no doubt, but even without all the Koopalings, the roster is still pretty solid.

>most of which are clones of each other and are merely about trade-offs rather than unique combinations (e.g. you won't find a kart that raises acceleration and lowers handling. seriously, try it.)

I don't think you and I are playing the same game. This isn't MK7's customization system.

>backed by unreliable servers, poor matchmaking, and now a nonfunctional ranking system

I think you're just having bad luck. Rarely do I ever have issues with the servers, I've never had an issue with matchmaking... and I have no idea what you mean by a "nonfunctional ranking system."

Did you not see all the retro tracks that got complete overhauls centered around MK8's mechanics?

>I can see where he's coming from.

Then you're not looking at the game from a proper standpoint.

>also you can't forget about battle mode and MKTV

Battle Mode sucks, yes, and I never claimed otherwise... but what's wrong with MKTV?

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I will not continue to support Nintendo unless their business practices change and I hope you will withdraw all support from them as well.

I think DLC is the last thing you should worry about when it comes to their business practices. Like launching a decent amount of good games with a console release. Or investing more on Wii U rather then 3DS all the time. To keep it short, their marketing sucks.

As for nintendo DLC, compared to other developers its content you get for a fair price.

Capcom constantly tries to milk out with skins and stuff, and later they will release a superduper complete version of the game.

Ubisoft just abuses DLC in so many ways, especialy with AC games. You got the overprices pre-order stuff and skins. then you got exclusive stuff at Uplay which you gotta register. then exclusive stuff at their initiates site. And then you got the toy figures which included exclusive DLC. and with AC4 they tried community challenges which barely worked. Oh and don't forget the Dr. Pepper and wilkonson DLC.

But there are games that had good DLC for a fair price. Like Dark Souls DLC was great. Fallout NV DLC was over the top. Those both added replay value and bonus weapons and skins.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Nintendo has been going downhill since the release of Skyward Sword, which was atrocious compared to Twilight Princess. Since then, we got a boring top view Zelda game instead of a real 3D game like Ocarina of Time. We still haven't even gotten Majora's Mask 3D and we still haven't gotten a real 3D Mario game like Mario Galaxy. Instead we got New Super Mario Bros. with new camera angles... Nintendo is stuck in the past meanwhile Xbox and Sony are creating the future. Now Nintendo is ripping us off with DLC, making people buy another 3DS, and giving us a Zelda knockoff... Not to mention that new Smash game that doesn't even have good new characters. When are we gonna get Ridley? Instead, we get more lame clones like Dark Pit. WTF, Nintendo? It's hard to admit because Nintendo gave us great games on the past but they just don't got it anymore. It's sad to see their games drop in quality and it's despicable to see them give in to shady business practices like DLC. I'm willing to bet the only reason they're starting to nickel and dime us is because of how much the Wii U sucks.

Last edited:

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Nintendo has been going downhill since the release of Skyward Sword, which was atrocious compared to Twilight Princess. Since then, we got a boring top view Zelda game instead of a real 3D game like Ocarina of Time. We still haven't even gotten Majora's Mask 3D and we still haven't gotten a real 3D Mario game like Mario Galaxy. Instead we got New Super Mario Bros. with new camera angles... Nintendo is stuck in the past meanwhile Xbox and Sony are creating the future. Now Nintendo is ripping us off with DLC, making people buy another 3DS, and giving us a Zelda knockoff... Not to mention that new Smash game that doesn't even have good new characters. When are we gonna get Ridley? Instead, we get more lame clones like Dark Pit. WTF, Nintendo? It's hard to admit because Nintendo gave us great games on the past but they just don't got it anymore. It's sad to see their games drop in quality and it's despicable to see them give in to shady business practices like DLC. I'm willing to bet the only reason they're starting to nickel and dime us is because of how much the Wii U sucks.
1 Really? SS? And you are saying TP was better?... Nope.avi Laugh.exe
2 Yes, ALBW sucked, but I feel like someone is biased to 2D Zelda in general...
3"Nintendo is Stuck in the past while Microsoft and Sony are making the future"... yea, Xbox Smartglass, Kinect, and PS Move show real creativity spud.
4 WILL EVERYONE SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT RIDLEY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD?!? No. He'd either be way too ****ing big or way too freaking small, and there are plenty of other antagonists mostly from Prime Hunters to choose from, Like Sylux or Dark Samus. Granted they'd be clones but in all honesty... Star Fox's, Earthbound's, and Fire Emblem's near entire roster is comprised of clones and I've heard nary a complant. It'd be caving into fan pressure. And if any GOD damn one walked away from Sonic 06 with anything, it should be this: NEVER. CAVE. TO. FAN PRESSURE.
EVER. Hell, TP was caving to fan pressure and I've always felt it was lacking compared to say MM, not to say entirely bad or amazing but somewhere like a 7/10, I've pointed out how much of a train wreck HH was, apparently thanks to Aounuma's agenda, and now Pokemon ORAS has Archie as a sex offender in spandex. Also, kiss goodbye to the Pokemon timeline making any sense at all!
While I think Nintendo should listen to fans, all of those things show there's a fine line between listening and waiting on hand and foot. The latter can become a sh!t storm of wrong.

the game most definitely did feel dry in content, and i also felt that way with hyrule warriors. The DLC seems like it was heaavily orchestrated. and i personally dont mind DLC when theres a game thats full in content. for example: When they made Dissidia Duodecim for PSP which had even more content than the original DIssidia, and even then added DLC

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom