• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where'd the Graveyard Kid Go?

Wallmaster

terrible things
In OoT, if you went to the graveyard as Young Link, you'd find a kid marching along the graveyard pretending to be Dampe. While many characters are accounted for after the destruction Ganon wrought upon Hyrule, he's nowhere to be found as an adult.

There's a theory floating around that he grew up to become the Poe Collector, but I find that unlikely. I believe that to the the guard who was standing in that house previously due to the fact he expressed a great interest in ghosts, and had vast knowledge of it, as well as the Triforce symbol on his sash, which indicates he may have had connections to the Royal Family, which he would have if he was a castle guard. I personally believe, similar to how Ganondorf admired Link's attitude when he refused to give up the direction in which Impa and Princess Zelda were going, he appreciated the guard's desire for mischief and turned him into the eerie Poe Collector, but that's just a theory I like to believe in.

At any point, back on topic... what do you think could have happened to the graveyard kid? As well, his parents (the guard in front of the Death Mountain Trail gate and the woman in the house). The previous statement was proven true in-game when you speak to the graveyard kid with the Keaton mask on. He states that he asked his father to get him that mask. The mother is inside the house near Death Mountain Trail and states her son is off playing in the graveyard. (because that's what every caring parent wants their kids to do...) .. are also nowhere to be found. It can probably be assumed his father, being a Hyrulean soldier, must have gotten called to defend the castle and died in battle.

What do you guys think? Sorry if this post is a little hard to follow, my thoughts were everywhere!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Okay first off, nice topic :yes:

I've heard something similar to this before. I think the connection was based off the fact that the Graveyard Kid (which I'll refer to him as) had a liking of sorts for creepy stuff. For example the Spooky Mask (which was a part of the main trading quest) and the fact that he likes to hang around graveyards... yeah. There is also a comparison that both carry sticks, whether that's a coincidence or not it's still rather peculiar.

I think it could be very likely that somehow he got cursed (maybe by a Poe) while hanging round the grades and thus became this lingering spirit who now wants revenge by collecting Poes and keeping them in Bottles.

Wallmaster

terrible things

I've heard something similar to this before. I think the connection was based off the fact that the Graveyard Kid (which I'll refer to him as) had a liking of sorts for creepy stuff. For example the Spooky Mask (which was a part of the main trading quest) and the fact that he likes to hang around graveyards... yeah. There is also a comparison that both carry sticks, whether that's a coincidence or not it's still rather peculiar.

I think it could be very likely that somehow he got cursed (maybe by a Poe) while hanging round the grades and thus became this lingering spirit who now wants revenge by collecting Poes and keeping them in Bottles.

Hey, thanks man!

That's a plausible theory, but why does he wear the symbol of the Triforce across his waist? Furthermore, why would he express admiration for Ganondorf, quoted as calling him "the /great/ Ganondorf". As well, the Poe Collector is often quoted as calling Link a "young man", which is unlikely for the graveyard kid to do considering he's about the same age, if not a little bit younger than Young Link at the time. At the absolute most, he'd be seventeen -- the same age as Adult Link. Wouldn't it be weird for someone your own age, or younger to be calling you "young man"? It lets on that the Poe Collector is a bit older than Link, which is plausible for the guard. Ironically enough, the guard is also in the same place as the Poe Collector as well.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Hey, thanks man!

That's a plausible theory, but why does he wear the symbol of the Triforce across his waist? Furthermore, why would he express admiration for Ganondorf, quoted as calling him "the /great/ Ganondorf". As well, the Poe Collector is often quoted as calling Link a "young man", which is unlikely for the graveyard kid to do considering he's about the same age, if not a little bit younger than Young Link at the time. At the absolute most, he'd be seventeen -- the same age as Adult Link. Wouldn't it be weird for someone your own age, or younger to be calling you "young man"? It lets on that the Poe Collector is a bit older than Link, which is plausible for the guard. Ironically enough, the guard is also in the same place as the Poe Collector as well.

Well to be honest the little "theory" I proposed was rather weak to say the least. Do I think the Graveyard Kid is the Poe Collector? Well no. It could be likely for sure and I'm not going to discount that.

However, it is a bit of a stretch and I'll agree with you there. I think the main reason I don't think the two are connected is because of their Majora's Mask counterparts... The young boy can easily be compared to the individuals within the collective known as "The Bombers" while the Poe Collector exists at the same time near Ikana. I think it's safe to assume, logically, that he and his parents fled Kakariko or--in a worse case scenario--died as a result of Ganondorf’s invasion.

Wallmaster

terrible things
I think it's safe to assume, logically, that he and his parents fled Kakariko or--in a worse case scenario--died as a result of Ganondorf’s invasion.

That's actually a really good theory. I wasn't even thinking of that. I'm not sure if there was an invasion in Kakariko, but given it's close proximity to Castle Town, it isn't a very far stretch. Besides, Ganondorf's goal was to incite fear into others, I think. Kind of like "there's no one who can save you from this" given Link was still asleep for the seven years, and "this is what happens to people who oppose me". It seems logical he turned the Hyrulean soldiers who were not immediately killed into ReDeads or something, explaining the massive amount of them in Castle Town. It could have been why perhaps the father of the graveyard kid went to go flee with his family and escaped -- or died trying.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
He did like to hang around the graves, and they got way more dangerous in the future with the Poes running rampant.

They totally should've showed him taking over for Dampe, but I think the simplest explanation is that he died.

I do like the theory that the Poe Collector is the pot room guard, although it's sad to think he turned into that.

sn00pac

Greg
Its simple, the boy is a ghost; just like his parents. Think about it, you never see him leave the graveyard. Why is this? Simple, the boy died whilst searching for Dampe; whom he could never find because it would be his bedtime when Dampe appeared. His ghost's search would end when Dampe came at night, and then the boy would return when Dampe was back in his shack. But when Dampe died, the boy's soul could be free. The father is trapped because he failed to get the mask before gannon killed him on the way to blockading the Dodango Caverns. But this would be solved when he could finally give his kid the Keaton mask; which was given to him by Link. The mother died at home and her soul would be trapped there until her son could permanently returned home and made friends. That why she asked Link to see her son. Having met Link and come home to rest with Dampe gone, her soul was at rest.

Just kidding, that would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

That's some good stuff!

Blackkirby

Proud Jesus Freak !
I never thought much about the graveyard kid in OOT. Honestly i dont know what to think this kid grew up in a graveyard all sorts of things could have happened to him.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Sadly, he did probably just die like most of you are saying. But there are some really cool theories here, I like them!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't think the graveyard kid is the poe collector. The poe collecter in my opinion is the Hyrule soldier that hangs around the room with the pots when link is a kid, that same room later becomes the room that the poe collector oversees business. See when link talks to the soldier in the room as a kid the soldier tells link he wishs that there were more troubles in the world. When link draws the master sword and goes into his 7 year "sleep" Ganondorf attacks Hyrule castle, kills all the people who didn't leave the castle town, and invades the sacard realm gaining the triforce of power.

When link wakes up and time has passed 7 years he finds Hyrule castle is destroyed, ruined. When he goes into the room were the pots used to be its occupied by the poe salesman who says that with ganondorf ruling its a great time to be in the poe business. He talks about how glad he is that the world is in chaos. I think the soldier went out to defend the castle, got his head chopped off, somehow survived (which would be impossible, but its a video game) and started collecting poes. The soldier got what he wished, he wanted troubles, so he got it. Atleast that's my theory.

As for the graveyard kid I have no idea what happened to him, like coolguy said maybe he died, afterall playing with spirits isn't the best way to spend your time in video games.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
You are all forgetting one thing. It's almost certain that the Poe Collecter is a female.

tumblr_m5fqp2K6xx1rpntveo1_500.gif

Remember this? This suggest that she is female, hence she finds Link attractive. Plus, she hints that if she was so handsome herself, she would be in a different business. No kid who plays this gets the reference, but I think she means she would have been a prostitute. So if you would assume she is female, it can't be the kid. Or it's a gay poe collector with ambitions to go into prostitution, but I don't think that's it :P.

I like the Poe theory on the boy though. He was so fascinated with graveyards, ghosts and death that he himself became a ghost.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
You are all forgetting one thing. It's almost certain that the Poe Collecter is a female.

tumblr_m5fqp2K6xx1rpntveo1_500.gif

Remember this? This suggest that she is female, hence she finds Link attractive. Plus, she hints that if she was so handsome herself, she would be in a different business. No kid who plays this gets the reference, but I think she means she would have been a prostitute. So if you would assume she is female, it can't be the kid. Or it's a gay poe collector with ambitions to go into prostitution, but I don't think that's it :P.

I like the Poe theory on the boy though. He was so fascinated with graveyards, ghosts and death that he himself became a ghost.

Or the poe collecter is a dude and plans on being a pimp?

I don't think that the graveyard boy corresponds to any particular character in the future era. I've always assumed that maybe his family fled Kakariko as all the refugees from Castle Town took up residence there or maybe just grew up and left of his own accord. He might have died. I don't know.

On the other hand we have the Poe Collector. The two theories that everyone seems to have are that he's either the graveyard boy or the guard in the room with all the pots. Out of those two I feel like the guard theory is more likely; the graveyard boy feels the need to enforce Dampe's rules during the day whereas both the guard and the Poe Collector state a desire for chaos. There's also the fact that the Poe collector is pretty clearly quite a bit older than link, and during the child era the graveyard kid is at most Link's age.

I know evidence of this is scarce at best but I've always liked to think that maybe the Poe Collector is a Garo. But if I had to pick a side here I'm gonna say it would make more sense for him to be the guard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom