• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
By the way, I would like to suggest someone to get that new impact award or whatever it's going to be called. Mandy here makes a huge amount of graphics for the forum and is completely deserving of such an award. I hear she is even planning on making graphics for the mafia awards. I hope she gets the credit she is due.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Why is it, now, that no mod ever even heard of the plan to implement a series of ideas that involved massive changes in the ranking system until the idea was already put underway (read: Locke's latest announcement).
It's not just the ranking system. (That first part doesn't even have to do with the ranking system.) There are a lot of things that need to be changed, and there has been a lot of preliminary discussion about them both in and out of the mod chat, both by mods and by others. The plan of the series, as you'll see with the upcoming topics, is to bring the discussion into the realm of the people the proposed changes affect, and then to actually do something about them. I didn't think it was necessary to discuss with the mods whether discussions needed to take place. But I would not implement any of these massive changes without appropriate discussion. The impact award is something that Djinn brought up a long time ago which received only positive feedback (though obviously it was largely ignored at the time).

Jamie

It's not just the ranking system. (That first part doesn't even have to do with the ranking system.) There are a lot of things that need to be changed, and there has been a lot of preliminary discussion about them both in and out of the mod chat, both by mods and by others. The plan of the series, as you'll see with the upcoming topics, is to bring the discussion into the realm of the people the proposed changes affect, and then to actually do something about them. I didn't think it was necessary to discuss with the mods whether discussions needed to take place. But I would not implement any of these massive changes without appropriate discussion. The impact award is something that Djinn brought up a long time ago which received only positive feedback (though obviously it was largely ignored at the time).

Could you please address the numerous pages of discussion we've had involving the current administration? I get that you were busy with the marathon, but I believe Kitsu's post got like 15 likes or something, so clearly it's something that absolutely needs to be addressed. I think I echo Matt's opinion when I say avoiding the situation at hand is not going to make it go away.

Kybyrian

Locke said:

Forgive me for the blunt nature of the post you just replied to, that's honestly just a small tidbit that was part of something much larger. It's not truly the issue.

I'm only going to be repeating what Repentance just said, but I believe the address of issues related to your administration deserve attention. I don't think you're a bad person, or incapable at all, but I don't think you're suited to the position (just as I wasn't). Like I already stated, you said yourself that you had become what you didn't want to in terms of activity. You got involved and then subsequently didn't take action when it needed to be and are not around often enough. I think it's great that you want to cope with these issues, but I still think we need someone who has better promise. I know you're busy with other things, and that's something that can't be reconciled. You are aware that every time you get eagerly involved in something you end up leaving it aside despite what you actually want to do with it.

I just think that the Community Coordinators, as per their position, should have more control over the community. Having one admin to ultimately decide everything isn't really the solution for a large community like Zelda Dungeon. Thareous and A Link In Time should have the authority, given by you, to consult the community on these things that you mentioned as part of your plan. Not just the changes to rankings, but the "many things that need to be changed." Hand them over to the community. You wanted the Community Coordinators to help represent and gather ideas from them, and you are not around enough or don't have the drive to do it effectively. It's not meant to demean you, but to spread the responsibility out. Right now they have almost no vocal authority. Let them take the lead on these issues, and let them do it right now. There doesn't have to be anymore planning, anymore "but I haven't really formulated these things yet." Give them to the community to be formulated. Take your major issues, and let the Community Coordinators take the lead with them as soon as possible. Not something to be left to after the marathon, or for something for you to put together, but something for the entire community to put together as if they were governing themselves.

I think it's best to tell the community coordinators to take the lead on everything you mentioned in your announcement, letting them start with the item they think is most relevant and opening it to community discussion one at a time. Like, letting them have a thread up by tomorrow if they felt so compelled to finish it early.

Last edited:

Jamie

Unfortunately that feature is only included in the Pro version.

Thanks for skipping over the posts that actually matter. I actually can't believe my eyes right now but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that this was just something you said while you are typing up a good response behind the scenes.

And by the way, if you allowed people to help in the back end which you've expressed disinterest in, a like system would have been created that is better than the current one a long time ago.

Kybyrian

Locke said:
And by the way, if you allowed people to help in the back end which you've expressed disinterest in, a like system would have been created that is better than the current one a long time ago.

That's actually probably the biggest issue, not allowing or getting people to help with things that can't be fully attended to alone or don't have the time given to them to solve, which is why authority needs to be spread out more to let other people help with things Locke doesn't have the time for.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I would add the Editor rank, but I don't have file transfer protocol access; in other words, I'm unable to add ranks to be directly hosted on ZD. This needs to be fixed with the Event Staff badge first before adding another rank. As far as I'm aware, inky Locke can do this. Perhaps mods can; I'm not familiar with their permissions.
You mean the banner? Shoot me the file.

I'm waiting on Locke to finish up with his decision on the future of ranks. There is no point in me changing the rules if the rank itself were to disappear.

With that in mind, I've been heavily toying with the idea of there being a 3 article requirement before you can get the rank. If Locke decides to keep ranks like Article Writer around, I'll put that rule in immediately.
There will be some recognition, most likely in the form of awards.

@Repentance link to Kitsu's post please?

@Wyatt CC's were intended to work mostly autonomously in decision-making for community-related forum stuff, as you said. Sorry if I didn't make that clear at the time. They need only consult me when they need the tech admin to do things for them (though I appreciate being included in their decision-making process). For example, they went ahead and enacted the new username change policy while I was busy at the marathon.

Last edited:

Kybyrian

Locke said:
@Wyatt CC's were intended to work mostly autonomously in decision-making for community-related forum stuff, as you said. Sorry if I didn't make that clear at the time. They need only consult me when they need the tech admin to do things for them (though I appreciate being included in their decision-making process). For example, they went ahead and enacted the new username change policy while I was busy at the marathon.

Then these changes should have been announced by them, and they should be taking the lead on them. You said you'd work on this stuff when back from the marathon, but it's really their job. I think it would help to establish them more as authority within the community AND solve a lot of these issues if they did take the lead on a lot of these suggestions. Half of the posts in the last few pages are about you being inactive and requesting you to resign, so it's obvious that very few people here think of as the technical admin, and maybe that's because the community coordinators don't seem to be picking up the duties that people expect you're supposed to be doing.

Talking to them and helping realize these things that you want to do through their actions will be one huge step toward getting people off your back. If you call yourself the technical admin, then have them do the things that everyone is accusing you of not doing.

Jamie

You mean the banner? Shoot me the file.

There will be some recognition, most likely in the form of awards.

@Repentance link to Kitsu's post please?

It does go deeper than just Kitsu's post. Numerous people have mentioned your inactivity and a lot of people are asking that you step down including Kybyrian. Big Octo just linked the post though. I don't care if you step down as long as you significantly increase your activity. But I doubt you will and I think multiple people would appreciate if you stepped down. If you don't think you should, then please address the concerns we have and why you won't step down at the very least.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I have no idea where else to put this.

Why are the members with hundreds of thousands of gold?

Kitsu has a million gold.

I have no idea how they did it, but it's extremely unfair to the people who have been posting and earning gold to buy something from the shop. Especially when it's a limited item.

I know it's not that big of a deal, but it's still unfair.

Djinn

and Tonic
I do not believe many were aware that community coordinators had the authority to enact changes to the forum without first discussing those ideas with the staff first. Right now the position still seems to have a more nebulous definition. But I am not certain this thread is the place for that type of discussion.

I have no idea how they did it, but it's extremely unfair to the people who have been posting and earning gold to buy something from the shop. Especially when it's a limited item.

I believe this has come about due to gold editing shenanigans in the ACP which I hope the entire staff would refrain from doing under any circumstances. It is unfair to those who have taken the time to earn the gold they have through normal means.

Jamie

There is a glitch that allows you to buy mareeps for free and sell them for 600 gold. I reported this to alit and I'm not sure if anything has been done.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
There is a glitch that allows you to buy mareeps for free and sell them for 600 gold. I reported this to alit and I'm not sure if anything has been done.

I don't even see a Mareep in the shop o.o

EDIT: It must have been removed after the glitch was found out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom