• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jump Button?

Do you want a jump button in Zelda Wii

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Total voters

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
@Raven

"some jumping Link", that's what you call it if you were to have a jump button? You don't think it's weird that you have to walk up to a waist high ledge and push up against it to get on top? You don't think it's weird that you can forward roll all the time but you can't jump? That's just strange! I see people jump all the time, the last time I saw a forward roll was when I went to my little sister's tumbling class. I say that you are fixated on playing some flat-footed Link and afraid of change.

If you don't think that they should change anything that they have done in previous games, well, maybe you just shouldn't even buy Zelda Wii.

Also, BTW, I love motion controls and am psyched for Zelda with Motion+, but I am glad we have a mix of buttons and motions. Nintendo agrees with me: Iwata was offered the tech for Natal...and rejected it. Thank the lord.

I don't really think they should put in a jump button. It would add an unnecessary vertical aspect to the gameplay that would distract from the important things, like puzzles and gameplay. And platforming is something that definitely doesn't fit much with Zelda.

Also, if they were to give you the button, what would it do? Let you jump a foot or two into the air? That's not enough of a jump to add much to the gameplay that we don't already have. If you could jump any higher, it would be ridiculous and out of place...

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Thank you Axel, you said what i couldn't in less words =) I never said I was unwilling to change Jupiter, I said jumping with a "button" is not that big of a change. we have already had a jumping button, it is time for something new like a pedal to jump or a trigger to jump or a motion with the new wii motion plus. I'm all for development when it comes to a long standing game series. But a jump button seems like a step backwards in this case don't you think? haha suddenly Zelda becomes God of War... but really If it came down to great swordplay with motion plus or a jump button which would you choose? and I don't appreciate your remark that I am "fixated on playing some flat-footed Link" you sir are fixated on debating a topic that has been brought up over and over again ever since OoT, then MM, did I forget to mention WW one of the best gamecube games ever and of course TP.

CZG

A jump button does NOT interfere with gameplay, haven't you played Zelda 2? Downstab, man!
I'd like it actually, but I'm not sure how it would work while you are franticly wave your remote around...

But that's why they are a computer company discussing and trying out these things for years and years...
You can't tell me they never tried a jump button in OoT, they just abandoned the theme at that point.
OoT engine was based on the Mario64 engine, you know? They just changed it a bit.

Most other Zelda games didn't have a jump button. Maybe. But who says that jumping would interfere with the puzzles? Maybe the puzzles were downgraded all this time because you couldn't jump?
You must admit that the Roc's Feather in LA was pretty nifty and it worked wonders.
The cape from the Minish Cap was a bit more difficult to control, but it also worked pretty good.

Of course, I don't want Link to jump ten feet high without any help. Jump magic anyone?
Otherwise, I think adding an item or two could help overcome the limits of a two foot jump easily.
We had Pegasus boots to run, we could also have some boots or another feather to jump higher, like 6 or 7 foot maybe?

They could even put in the whip / hookshot like thingy to do some cool stuff.
Although Castlevania (on the SNES) wasn't the greatest of games, in fact, it thought it was even bad...
But, it had a pretty good chain to hang onto some iron rings. I think in such a case, a jump button would help.

All they need to do is watch the level design carefully. Like Mario 64, the first few levels would do great as a jumping (Zelda 2?) Link, only the later levels in the game like the rainbow stage is a bit too much jumping for Link.
Although I don't think it will be included in the next Zelda game, I actually hope it will be....

I'd rather use the jump button for something else and more usefull, as I don't see how this could make the game better.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I don't see how it could help the game either.It would just ruin the game if they did.I like finding stuff for him to climb up on to get to higher places.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
@Raven

If what you meant is that you would like there to be a jump on command option but with something other than a button, like a motion or a pedal or something, then I apologize. Those are interesting ideas.

On the other hand if you are resistant to it because it would make Zelda like God of War--and to others who say it would make Zelda like Mario, or turn it into a platformer--I am sorry, but that is just plain ridiculous. Like I said earlier, you can roll in Zelda now, that does not make it a "rolling game". Also, again, see Zelda II, see Link's awakening.

I'll recap my reasons for wanting a jump button, which nobody has made a convincing argument against:

1. Puzzles.
As CZG said "Maybe the puzzles were downgraded all this time because you couldn't jump?" All this does is add another element that could be used from time to time.

2. Combat.
You could jump and point your sword up to stab something above you. You could jump off a ledge and point your sword down to stab an enemy below you. You could jump backwards but swing your sword at the same time to deflect a magic attack . You could jump over a ground based attack from an enemy (like a boss that swipes his tail at you or shoots fire on the ground...) There would be a lot of possibilities besides the few repetitive options that get programmed in for you.

3. To not look ridiculous.
If I can jump Link should be able to jump. How stupid looking is it that you have to walk up to a waist high ledge to climb on it? How goofy is it that you can forward roll all the time but not jump?

It only adds, it does not subtract.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
When I said Zelda would become God of War if it had a jump button it was more of a joke than anything else. Just because God of War has combat, puzzles and jumping... I am not resistant to change I just think the right changes need to be made for gamers to stay interested in video games. consistency is good in moderation just like anything else but if you you decide to break the formula you need to do it right the first time. and if Zelda Wii gets a jump button it will be the first time in a 3D Zelda. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it I just hope they figure out an even better way to jump than a button. If it the games needs one.

I think the puzzles have always been pretty good, but you may be right that not being able to jump limits these puzzles a little, but do we really want that added difficulty? with all the time we spend in dungeons anyway it would add a lot of areas for people to get stumped on.

I don't think there should be jump button.

Items work fine for puzzles. What would you really need a jump button for in a puzzle? To reach a new ledge? To grab an object out of reach? To hit a switch with added force? I don't know... I don't see the point in jumping for puzzles. Not in Zelda anyways.

The idea of jumping in combat seems useless to me. We already have the back flip, which to me. Would work better then a simple jump straight up. Not only do you evade the attack, but you create some distance between you and your opponent. Swinging a sword, or using an item in mid-jump would likely throw you off balance, or leave you open when you land. We have the back flip for horizontal attacks, and the side jump for vertical attacks.

Looks? Do you remember how Link donned his Iron Boots in TP, he clicked his heels. Though it worked because you could do it while standing, falling, or swimming. It looks ridiculous, but it works. I'd rather see Link rolling across Hyrule field, then see him skipping or leaping across it. Jumping would put to much strain on the body, and would be a waste of energy for a swordsman like Link. Though that last sentence doesn't really matter, since you don't lose energy for tasks like that.

In the end, I don't think there should be a jump button. An item to jump would be acceptable, but I think it would be unnecessary.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I think the puzzles have always been pretty good, but you may be right that not being able to jump limits these puzzles a little, but do we really want that added difficulty? with all the time we spend in dungeons anyway it would add a lot of areas for people to get stumped on.

I agree the puzzles have always been pretty good (they're some of the best puzzles in gaming!). I personally would not mind added difficulty whether that came from jumping or something else. But more than difficulty, it would just give us some more options and variation on the puzzles that are in the game. If you've played enough Zelda games you start to get pretty familiar with how to solve the puzzles they have. Anything they can do to mix it up would be good. I am not saying I want jumping on command to be a MAJOR feature in the games, just an option that you use once or twice...just like rolling, every now in then it is needed for something...

K

Kotake

Zelda is unique enough to not 'become' another game by one added feature. And really?
You're debating upon a button versus an item?

An item gets assigned to a button. You PUSH A BUTTON to use the item.

The argument is getting ridiculous.
It's basically been decided that:

A jump button/item would add to gameplay.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
When I first rented OoT, I was instantly turned off by the fact that you couldn't jump. "What kind of a game doesn't let you jump?!" I thought.
But now, it's a nice thing to (not) have. Jumping would seem out of place at this point. Plus, just imagine trying to jump while carrying a sword, shield and countless items. With that tunic no less! Perhaps that's why Link only does it when he has too. :P

I don't want a jump button in Zelda.

Zelda has always been a realistic game (despite the fantasy scenario and such things as gliding on leafs etc).
Considering that most human beings can't even jump 1 meter up, such a small jump would make no diference to the gameplay.

In terms of combat, it would make the combat really weird. In a real medieval style fight, nobody really jumps (specially because of the heavy armors, shields, etc.), but the jumps Link can execute so far make pretty sense. But imagine Link executing a jump over a stalfos (this is a HUGE jump if you're not Mario xD) to pierce him in the head a la AoL. It would be really weird! :shake: Note that rolling (although it's pretty rare to see somebody actually rolling in the real world) isn't something weird or unrealistic.

In terms of puzzles, again, no one climbs a big wall by jumping up to it. We climb it!

In the end:
A small jump is unnecessary. A big jump is completely unrealistic and weird. So it's a waste to make a button just for it.
These small details make Zelda feel like a real world, not just a game. ;)

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I don't want a jump button in Zelda.

Zelda has always been a realistic game (despite the fantasy scenario and such things as gliding on leafs etc).
Considering that most human beings can't even jump 1 meter up, such a small jump would make no diference to the gameplay.

In terms of combat, it would make the combat really weird. In a real medieval style fight, nobody really jumps (specially because of the heavy armors, shields, etc.), but the jumps Link can execute so far make pretty sense. But imagine Link executing a jump over a stalfos (this is a HUGE jump if you're not Mario xD) to pierce him in the head a la AoL. It would be really weird! :shake: Note that rolling (although it's pretty rare to see somebody actually rolling in the real world) isn't something weird or unrealistic.

In terms of puzzles, again, no one climbs a big wall by jumping up to it. We climb it!

In the end:
A small jump is unnecessary. A big jump is completely unrealistic and weird. So it's a waste to make a button just for it.
These small details make Zelda feel like a real world, not just a game. ;)

But you can already jump in the games, big jumps, in ways that are "unrealistic". In combat you jump sidways and forward, you even back flip!! So, I'm sorry, but this argument that it is too "unrealistic" was lost before you started it. The only question is why can't Link jump on command?

But you can already jump in the games, big jumps, in ways that are "unrealistic". In combat you jump sidways and forward, you even back flip!! So, I'm sorry, but this argument that it is too "unrealistic" was lost before you started it. The only question is why can't Link jump on command?

"but the jumps Link can execute so far make pretty sense"
Yeah, all these moves you mentioned are impossible to perform in real life. But when you execute these commands in the game, none of then feel unrealistic.
It's like in the movies: somethings don't feel like impossible, despite a more rational analisys confirming it's "impossibility".

"So it's a waste to make a button just for it."
That's what I meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom