• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jump Button?

Do you want a jump button in Zelda Wii

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Total voters

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Will there be a jump button in the new Zelda? Do you want a Jump Button in Zelda Wii.

My answers: I think there is a 51% chance that there will be a jump button. I definitely want it :wave:

I think that the auto-jump was a good fit for OoT but has only been kept in out of tradition since. It feels unnatural not to have the ability to jump, and I think there are some puzzle and fighting possibilities that we are missing out on without it.

Last edited:

Zarom

The King
Heck, I don't want a jump button in Zelda Wii. Maybe an item that allows us to jump, like the Roc's Feather or something like that, but I don't want that. Otherwise, he would be like Mario. o_O And I don't think Nintendo will put one. Except for AOL, Link was never able to jump by himself. Also, I don't see why there should be one, it's pointless in my opinion.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I don't really know what you mean by new fighting possibilities as all the console games have allowed Link to do jump attacks and backflips and stuff like that when targeting an enemy. What else do you want to be able to jump for? I can kind of understand wanting the ability to jump for puzzle purposes, but I think that would make the game feel more like a platformer, which works better with Mario than Zelda in my opinion. I really don't see a real use for being able to jump on command, and it honestly looks funny in my mind, Link jumping from place to place rather than rolling, but I suppose that's more because of tradition huh?

The point is, Link can jump when fighting, and he automatically jumps all those gaps on the ground that can be jumped over anyways, so I really don't see a purpose to adding in a jump button. Be rather a waste of a button if you ask me.

Heck, I don't want a jump button in Zelda Wii. Maybe an item that allows us to jump, like the Roc's Feather or something like that, but I don't want that. Otherwise, he would be like Mario. o_O And I don't think Nintendo will put one. Except for AOL, Link was never able to jump by himself. Also, I don't see why there should be one, it's pointless in my opinion.
Actually, no. It will not be like Mario. Mario has you stomp on enemies to defeat them, never has Mario ever carried a weapon to defeat enemies.
And yes, I would like a jump button. I would find jumping more convenient than rolling.

Zarom

The King
Actually, no. It will not be like Mario. Mario has you stomp on enemies to defeat them, never has Mario ever carried a weapon to defeat enemies.
And yes, I would like a jump button. I would find jumping more convenient than rolling.

Hrrm... I didn't say the game would be like Mario, I said Link would be like Mario. "he would be like Mario.", not "it would be like Mario." And if Link could jump, who told you that he could not be able to defeat some enemies by jumping on them? And Mario has his own abilties, like the Fire Flower or even the Hammer Suit in SMB3, which lets him throws hammers. And throwing vegetables and bombs, also.

Ikana

Trollkastel
Nah that would make it like Mario.I really don't see Link Jumping that comes to show that they are running out of ideas.

K

Kotake

I think it might be interesting and add a new level of difficulty to game play. Before you just had to aim Link right in dungeons and he'd jump right where he needed to. Having to time your jumps and such would make it more difficult.

Also, I disaggree that it would make it like Mario or a platformer. Those types of games are typically side-scrolling games. Zelda Wii will be in 3d.

Not to mention Samus from Metroid Prime can jump and it works quite well. However there is a difference in gameplay with Metroid being an fps.

However, I still stand by my position that it could make gameplay more interesting.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I think it might be interesting and add a new level of difficulty to game play. Before you just had to aim Link right in dungeons and he'd jump right where he needed to. Having to time your jumps and such would make it more difficult.

Also, I disaggree that it would make it like Mario or a platformer. Those types of games are typically side-scrolling games. Zelda Wii will be in 3d.

Not to mention Samus from Metroid Prime can jump and it works quite well. However there is a difference in gameplay with Metroid being an fps.

However, I still stand by my position that it could make gameplay more interesting.

when they say mario they mean the 3d marios. Not the side scrollers

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
@Zarom
@xinnamin
@Ikana

Ok, I am really going to take issue with you on this. Because (a) I disagree and (b) I think your reasons make very little sense.

1. It or he would be like Mario:
What?? So anyone that jumps is like Mario? Any game that has jumping is like Mario? No. Not at all. Link jumped in Zelda II, was that like Mario? As Kotake pointed out even Samus jumps (and in 3D too!) and I am pretty sure you can tell the difference between Metroid Prime and Super Mario Galaxy. Finally, just because you can jump at will does not mean the focus of the game would be on platforming. You can roll at will in all other 3D Zeldas, did that make them "rolling games"?

2. Jumping looks funnier than rolling.
Huh? In what crazy world do you live in that rolling on the ground is more normal than jumping? Unless you are taking tumbling classes jumping seems a lot more normal to me. I jog a lot and I have never, not once in my life, done a forward roll while running through a forest path, but from time to time I do hop over fallen branches or puddles...

3. You already can jump when fighting so it wouldn't add new combat possibilities
I understand your point on this one but don't really agree at all. You could jump and point your sword up to stab something above you. You could jump off a ledge and point your sword down to stab an enemy below you. You could jump backwards but swing your sword at the same time to deflect a magic attack . You could jump over a ground based attack from an enemy (like a boss that swipes his tail at you or shoots fire on the ground...) There would be a lot of possibilities besides the few repetitive options that get programmed in for you.

Hrrm... I didn't say the game would be like Mario, I said Link would be like Mario. "he would be like Mario.", not "it would be like Mario." And if Link could jump, who told you that he could not be able to defeat some enemies by jumping on them? And Mario has his own abilties, like the Fire Flower or even the Hammer Suit in SMB3, which lets him throws hammers. And throwing vegetables and bombs, also.
Umm... once again, no. Link wouldn't be like Mario. Link has a sword. Link gets his own weapons. You don't have to try to explain to me about Mario, I know almost everything to Mario. And I doubt that Link could defeat enemies by jumping on them in a 3D game. Link may have done that in LA but it only worked on Mario cameos like the Goomba.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Hmm... well I don't think there should be a jump button. Like Zarom said it would feel more like a Mario game than a Zelda game. But if they put an item in ZW2 like the Roc's Feather persay then it would be okay with me. And having seen the possibilities that the Roc's Feather opens up in FSA I think it would be cool to have a 3-D Zelda game where you jump on command with the use of an item. And actually for the record every single Zelda game since ALttP has had the auto jump but to a lesser extent.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
I don't want a jump button mostly due to tradition. I think puzzles are more difficult if Link >Needs< to find an item in order to perform a certain action. However, jumping is quite natural to a quite similar human race. Maybe he shouldn't need a jump button to jump, but seeing as how that decision was made long ago, the developers should just stick with it. Also I think a jump button would be too liberal in the Zelda series, making more similar to other games where characters can jump. I actually feel that part of the uniqueness is that Link could never jump just by pressing a button.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Again, I don't mean to be too aggressive, but I don't think people who think Link should not be able to jump have strong reasons.

@Master Kokiri 9

"Like Zarom said it would feel more like a Mario game than a Zelda game. But if they put an item in ZW2 like the Roc's Feather persay then it would be okay with me. And having seen the possibilities that the Roc's Feather opens up in FSA I think it would be cool to have a 3-D Zelda game where you jump on command with the use of an item."

If it would open up possibilities and "be cool to have a 3-D Zelda game where you jump on command with the use of an item" why would it not be cool to jump on command without an item? Why does having an item make it any cooler?

Also, why in the world would you need an item to jump? I can jump. I can jump up and down all day and I don't need "an item" to help me. It makes no sense that Link would need an item to jump.

@NoRush

"I don't want a jump button mostly due to tradition."

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

What does tradition have to do with it? It is either better or not better.

"Also I think a jump button would be too liberal in the Zelda series, making more similar to other games where characters can jump."

This makes no sense to me. Why does it become like other games just because you can jump? There are so many things that make Zelda different than other games this is just silly. When people think of Zelda they don't think, "Oh yeah, that's that game where you can't jump on command". I don't get it. Just because you can jump does not turn it into a platformer, it brings back something very normal that every biped, except for Link, can do.

Really, I think people are just afraid of change. Because the reasons I am getting for not wanting a jump button are really weak.

Last edited:
T

Twilight One

Uhm, have you been playing Super Smash Bros. series since it's out on the N64? Link has been in it since the beginning and he jumps (without the need of an item nor ledge) using a button. He does it naturally, it doesn't feel out of place. No one ever complained about that... I mean he would be so ****** not being able to jump... Okay characters in SSB jump far and do unreal mid-air jumps and recoveries, but that doesn't mean Link in a Zelda game should not jump at all...

The level of Hyrule Temple in adventure mode (in SSB Melee) had you going through a 2.5D Zelda dungeon à la Adventure of Link searching for the real triforce, it really is a good layout and feels like Zelda... That level kicks butt and I haven't been hexed by a so called 'Essence' of the franchise by playing it and actually wondered why link doesn't show some moves in Zelda games. I mean what could they do wrong with it?

You never felt strange that you always needed to force Link towards a knee height border to make him leap on it? He should have been able to run, jump, then land on that ledge... Same for all other ledges, just that example was too flagrant. Yeah, you have to make him run in a shoulder height wall (in reality he would have hurt himself, don't slap youself on a granite block with sharp edges, bad health may occur, you may lose a heart and consciousness :) ) then wait for the game to load the 'climb' action button. Seriously, that's really bad. He should be more versatile and be able to climb places alone without a scripted action block that make the climb animation roll... Look at assassin's creed. I don't want a Altaïr rip-off link, but technology allows for normal climbing, we're not at the dawn of 3d games anymore, they can make it more fluid without turning link into sheik (agility wise).

If they made him jump, it wouldn't be à la mario, that would be dumb. But he could at least jump as high as all human beings can. He's a hero that can't jump, laughable... To me that issue has to be resolved.

I agree that some magic (like in Adventure of Link) or item may help him jump higher, but please don't make him need that to jump. Also running off a 100 meter cliff to make a person jump is seriously wrong. Yes we would have to coordinate our jumps, but do have to do it in reality too :) .

P.S. Tradition is good, but TP did too much of it and we ended with too much of an OoT remake, they need to keep the game but change things and progress with technology. Charles Darwin named that fancy thing the 'Evolution' back a few centuries (considering the Wii is the Revolution, they should not mess with that :) ).

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Unless they can pull it off using actions with the new Wii Motion Plus I dont want to see it at all. pressing a button simply to jump could have been done soooooooo long ago in the Zelda series, but they chose not to so maybe they don't need one. but hey some people really want a jump button, you know what i say? go play mario, you want some jumping Link? go play super smash bros! not to say Link never jumps, OoA had a roc's feather too i think... and AoL stuff... i felt jumping via a button it these 2d games wasn't that bad. but REALLY in a 3D game. A 3D Zelda with a jump button? SOUNDS just like PRINCE OF PERSIA!!! Im sorry but i think its a little late in the series to add a simple jump button for the 3D Zelda's. mind you, it might not be so bad on handhelds but thinks about it. OoT could have had one, and after all the feed back from OoT which is still the highest rated game ever they made MM and guess what? NO JUMP BUTTON? REALLY! then came TP and it's non jumping ways... but you know what there are many ways to jump in this game! check out Zelda TP LJA (Long Jump Attack) on Youtube right now. It's a glitch that makes Link "jump" to areas of the game that are usually not reachable without action replay. There was the hidden skills jump-roll-spin attack lol. you know what im talking about. Glitching has made jumping possible in both OoT and MM. I really don't see what the problem is here? TP had the charged up jump attack which could get you onto some unreachable ledges. Heck Zelda has side jumps and back flips.

Ya ya combat could be better If Link could jump forward with A, A again to flip in the air and the B to cut off an opponents head while in mid-flip. Is that really what you want??? Zelda Wii i supposed to concentrate on actual swordplay with Motion Plus, not buttons, which they could have done two whole consoles ago!!! thats what bugs me, young gamers have to realize we are entering a new phase of gaming. one without controllers. for some time now we have been trying to get rid of the controller completely! and suddenly we are beginning to do just that. but some people want to throw progress... all that progress away by keeping that one simple button. isen't anybody else tired of pressing A??? I would rather jump in real life to make Link jump then press a single button. WE HAVE MOTION PLUS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom