• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U - First Look

I was thinking about the statement Aonuma made nearly a year and a half ago. About him rethinking the conventions of a Zelda game. With this e3s little trailer he gave us a glimpse of what a 3d Zelda without too many barriers looks like. Awesome! You can now (probably) go wherever you want, from whatever angle you want and complete the dungeons in a variety of different orders. I guess, Aonuma wanted to proof his point from back then with this trailer.

The other convention he talked about was, that you would normally play by yourself. I am assuming now, that the next time we will hear something about this game, it will be about this second convention. I have a feeling that Aonuma couldn't remove all the hints from this trailer as to what this could mean for the next Zelda.

He said that everything we saw was taken out of the actual game even though we don't know weather or not it was just game play or a mix of game play and cut scenes. And what we saw looked really fluid, vibrant and colorful. Like an anime. I mean look at Links movements, they are nothing like those mechanical moves we've seen in TP or SS.

I guess this is partly to attract other people watching, what the player is doing. It's almost like it's hard to understand that this was the game with someone in control. My guess is, that the player has a different view on the Gamepad of what happens on the big screen. Everything is the same but the perspective. Obviously the camera would need to be nearer to Link, maybe even above him. From this perspective it's easer to see, what the player can do. Maybe aLBW was partly made to test these waters. Like how different perspectives in a game world could work. When the player sees Link and his horse from above on the Gamepad, he/she could just tab on those items we saw on Eponas (?) back. Like the luggage (inventory), his special arrow, bow, etc. A tab on Links hood (or cloak) could make him remove it. The people solely watching the big screen would see the game through an intelligent camera, sometimes far away, sometimes near the action. Like in a real anime.

I would enjoy this kind of possible collaboration. You could still play the game all by yourself, but if there are other people in the room, they could enjoy watching you play and they could actually help you progress, because they could give you tips, eventually they have more like an overview perspective. The view on the big screen is almost like a map, isn't it? They would see things in the distance like the monster/boss in the trailer a little earlier and warn you. What are your thoughts on that?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I was thinking about the statement Aonuma made nearly a year and a half ago. About him rethinking the conventions of a Zelda game. With this e3s little trailer he gave us a glimpse of what a 3d Zelda without too many barriers looks like. Awesome! You can now (probably) go wherever you want, from whatever angle you want and complete the dungeons in a variety of different orders. I guess, Aonuma wanted to proof his point from back then with this trailer.

The other convention he talked about was, that you would normally play by yourself. I am assuming now, that the next time we will hear something about this game, it will be about this second convention. I have a feeling that Aonuma couldn't remove all the hints from this trailer as to what this could mean for the next Zelda.

He said that everything we saw was taken out of the actual game even though we don't know weather or not it was just game play or a mix of game play and cut scenes. And what we saw looked really fluid, vibrant and colorful. Like an anime. I mean look at Links movements, they are nothing like those mechanical moves we've seen in TP or SS.

I guess this is partly to attract other people watching, what the player is doing. It's almost like it's hard to understand that this was the game with someone in control. My guess is, that the player has a different view on the Gamepad of what happens on the big screen. Everything is the same but the perspective. Obviously the camera would need to be nearer to Link, maybe even above him. From this perspective it's easer to see, what the player can do. Maybe aLBW was partly made to test these waters. Like how different perspectives in a game world could work. When the player sees Link and his horse from above on the Gamepad, he/she could just tab on those items we saw on Eponas (?) back. Like the luggage (inventory), his special arrow, bow, etc. A tab on Links hood (or cloak) could make him remove it. The people solely watching the big screen would see the game through an intelligent camera, sometimes far away, sometimes near the action. Like in a real anime.

I would enjoy this kind of possible collaboration. You could still play the game all by yourself, but if there are other people in the room, they could enjoy watching you play and they could actually help you progress, because they could give you tips, eventually they have more like an overview perspective. The view on the big screen is almost like a map, isn't it? They would see things in the distance like the monster/boss in the trailer a little earlier and warn you. What are your thoughts on that?

I love this idea, but im kind of a loner, however i do like showing my friends really cool games. so if this were and "option" then im all in, but if it were to be a mandatory POV, this i gotta say no. But yeah that sounds cool as hell!

Aonuma said:
“It’s a rumour,” Aonuma said with a chuckle when I asked him about the speculation buzzing around online.

“Actually that comment I made jokingly,” he said. “It’s not that I said that it wasn’t Link. It’s that I never said that it was Link. It’s not really the same thing, but I can understand how it could be taken that way.”

“It seems like it has kind of taken off where people are saying ‘oh it’s a female character’ and it just kind of grew. But my intent in saying that was humour. You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement.”

However, he doesn’t want players to focus too much on Link’s appearance in the trailer.

“I don’t want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game,” he said.

“I don’t want to define him so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player.”

God i love it when im right! LOL

Last edited:
Meh, this looks alright. I'm all for another cel-shaded Zelda game, but I'm not a huge fan of how Link looks in this trailer. He looks a little too feminine, but I'm sure it'll grow on me eventually.

And I may sound crazy here, but cutting out his ponytail, this is how I imagine Toon Link all grown up. Crazy, I know. .____.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Alright, my rant time. Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed with the graphics, I was really expecting something jaw dropping and HD like the tech demo a couple years ago. Not that this isn't beautiful, it really is... but... Idk, I guess I'd really love a game with a much darker tone, and it's hard to do that with watercolor cel-shaded graphics. From just what the graphics look like right now, I can foresee it having the same problem Skyward Sword had, in that it never feels dark and serious. It's like "Oh no! The bad guy's gonna take over the world!" It's a game for children. It's happy even when it's sad. And... I don't like that. I want a game like Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess, where when it gets dark, IT GETS DARK. I may be jumping the gun here, and I won't judge too much, because Wind Waker was able to get pretty dark with cel-shaded graphics. Anyways, I don't really care about the way Link looks, I don't get what all this crap is about. He looks like Link, in my opinion. I'm just wondering what the heck is up with dat bow doh :P And I'm super excited for the exploration, since that's something Zelda games have really been missing. I feel like A Link Between Worlds was a step back in the right direction, but it was just a test to see if they could really elaborate on it in Zelda Wii U. Ultimately, it crazy excites me just to see this little much, and to know they're working on it. I highly doubt it'll be ready for 2015 though :P I'd put money down right now that it won't come out til at least Q1 2016. That's just what they do. But I am psyched

Alright, my rant time. Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed with the graphics, I was really expecting something jaw dropping and HD like the tech demo a couple years ago. Not that this isn't beautiful, it really is... but... Idk, I guess I'd really love a game with a much darker tone, and it's hard to do that with watercolor cel-shaded graphics. From just what the graphics look like right now, I can foresee it having the same problem Skyward Sword had, in that it never feels dark and serious. It's like "Oh no! The bad guy's gonna take over the world!" It's a game for children. It's happy even when it's sad. And... I don't like that. I want a game like Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess, where when it gets dark, IT GETS DARK. I may be jumping the gun here, and I won't judge too much, because Wind Waker was able to get pretty dark with cel-shaded graphics.

This is what I hope they do with this game. With the way the game looks, I'm afraid it'll have the same problem as SS when it comes to being more lighthearted
& less dark. WW had a pretty good balance whenever it wants to be serious or not. Zelda U will probably have the same balance, too, but it's just something we have to wait and see if it's like SS or not.

D

Deleted member 14134

Alright, my rant time. Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed with the graphics, I was really expecting something jaw dropping and HD like the tech demo a couple years ago. Not that this isn't beautiful, it really is... but... Idk, I guess I'd really love a game with a much darker tone, and it's hard to do that with watercolor cel-shaded graphics. From just what the graphics look like right now, I can foresee it having the same problem Skyward Sword had, in that it never feels dark and serious. It's like "Oh no! The bad guy's gonna take over the world!" It's a game for children. It's happy even when it's sad. And... I don't like that. I want a game like Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess, where when it gets dark, IT GETS DARK. I may be jumping the gun here, and I won't judge too much, because Wind Waker was able to get pretty dark with cel-shaded graphics.

I agree with most of this and I would also like to see less of a zelda/link relationship thrown in out faces that never went anywhere in the end. In previous games there wasn't much of an effort put into but fans always took the subtle things and based their fantasies off that (zeldas "love" letter from OoT for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom