• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do You Want to Save Anywhere, or Do You Want Specific Save Points?

Do you want to save anywhere, or do you want specific save points?

• Save anywhere, anytime, like most Zelda games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Save at specific save points. like SS and ALBW

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No preference. You should have had a third option. :P

Both are valid game design decisions. If Zelda Wii U has large rooms and/or overworld areas with a lot of challenging things that will kill you, then save points would be good for easy revival closer to the action and/or if it wants to create a more survival-oriented vibe of limited resources. An interesting game system like Majora's Mask's could validate the decision as well. Otherwise a free save option anywhere (though let's not kid ourselves and say it's anywhere; Zelda games have always placed you at an area's entrance) is a better option as it's more open. It just depends on the feel of the game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No preference. You should have had a third option. :P

Both are valid game design decisions. If Zelda Wii U has large rooms and/or overworld areas with a lot of challenging things that will kill you, then save points would be good for easy revival closer to the action and/or if it wants to create a more survival-oriented vibe of limited resources. An interesting game system like Majora's Mask's could validate the decision as well. Otherwise a free save option anywhere (though let's not kid ourselves and say it's anywhere; Zelda games have always placed you at an area's entrance) is a better option as it's more open. It just depends on the feel of the game.

At the same time, having both as options simultaneously would be pretty cool. People wouldn't be forced to go with one or the other, and you could alternate between the two in regards to which best fits the situation you're currently in.

At the same time, having both as options simultaneously would be pretty cool. People wouldn't be forced to go with one or the other, and you could alternate between the two in regards to which best fits the situation you're currently in.
I don't understand how having both options makes any sense at all or could even work unless the system was free saving outside of dungeons and save points are needed within them (like in most JRPGs). Otherwise I have no idea what you're getting at.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I don't understand how having both options makes any sense at all or could even work unless the system was free saving outside of dungeons and save points are needed within them (like in most JRPGs). Otherwise I have no idea what you're getting at.

Are you saying that it's impossible for a game to be coded to allow both saving at any time and save points?

Are you saying that it's impossible for a game to be coded to allow both saving at any time and save points?
No, I'm saying it's utterly and completely pointless. If you can save anywhere, OR save at a save point... don't have the save point, because it's meaningless.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

That's the kind of thing I'd like to see. In previous Zelda games, you could save anywhere in a field and you'd usually start back where you were or where you entered the area from. However, saving and quitting in dungeons always brought you back to the beginning of it, so backtracking was unavoidable if you had to stop in the middle of a dungeon. That always bugged me. However, with the save points in SS's dungeons, it made things more convenient. So, I would like that kind of a mix of the two.

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure Xenoblade Chronicles and Darksiders II both let you save whenever and wherever, and if you restart the game, you spawn in the spot you saved in. Why is this not possible in Zelda?

EDIT: Oh, and Pokemon too. That's a pretty big one.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
No, I'm saying it's utterly and completely pointless. If you can save anywhere, OR save at a save point... don't have the save point, because it's meaningless.

Zelda's "save anywhere" system has always put you back at a specific point. It's not like with Pokemon where you start EXACTLY where you left off. This is what makes save points useful in SS and ALBW, as you DO get to start exactly where you left off, even if you have to go to a specific spot.

It might be more appealing to save on the fly in some instances, and it might be more appealing to be at an exact spot when you restart/get a Game Over with how Zelda has approached its save systems in the past is what I'm getting at.

That's the kind of thing I'd like to see. In previous Zelda games, you could save anywhere in a field and you'd usually start back where you were or where you entered the area from. However, saving and quitting in dungeons always brought you back to the beginning of it, so backtracking was unavoidable if you had to stop in the middle of a dungeon. That always bugged me. However, with the save points in SS's dungeons, it made things more convenient. So, I would like that kind of a mix of the two.
Yeah it could be a good choice. To be honest I can't relate to saving issues -- never had any problem with Majora's Mask's system -- because I usually don't sit down for a game unless I have a fair amount of time for it, and as a general rule I always complete dungeons in a straight run. I hate stopping dungeons in the middle and continuing them later. But I know that other people don't/can't play that way and prefer more options, so the JRPG system could be a good choice.

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure Xenoblade Chronicles and Darksiders II both let you save whenever and wherever, and if you restart the game, you spawn in the spot you saved in. Why is this not possible in Zelda?
It's completely possible, it just hasn't been done in the series yet.

Zelda's "save anywhere" system has always put you back at a specific point. It's not like with Pokemon where you start EXACTLY where you left off. This is what makes save points useful in SS and ALBW, as you DO get to start exactly where you left off, even if you have to go to a specific spot.

It might be more appealing to save on the fly in some instances, and it might be more appealing to be at an exact spot when you restart/get a Game Over with how Zelda has approached its save systems in the past is what I'm getting at.
Or as tketle pointed out you could just save in the spot and spawn in that spot. Either way saving and spawning in a specific area (start of the area) or choosing a save point to spawn in a specific area is... exactly the same.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Or as tketle pointed out you could just save in the spot and spawn in that spot.

This thread is going off of the two save systems Zelda's had in the past before, though, and it's what I was using as the template for what I had to say. I figured that was obvious.

Either way saving and spawning in a specific area (start of the area) or choosing a save point to spawn in a specific area is... exactly the same.

Not exactly. The concept is similar, but the two systems can lead to very different outcomes.

Let's pretend that A Link Between Worlds didn't have the save point system, but rather the system that A Link to the Past did. Now let's pretend that you decide to save at a random spot in Hyrule Field. Upon rebooting the game, you'd have to choose among a few different locations to restart at. Now, let's switch back to the system that ALBW actually has and say that there's a save point in the same random spot as before. In this instance, you'd restart in that same spot.

These two scenarios aren't the same by any stretch of the imagination. Ergo everything I had to say before.

Last edited:
This thread is going off of the two save systems Zelda's had in the past before, though, and it's what I was using as the template for what I had to say. I figured that was obvious.

Not exactly. The concept is similar, but the two systems can lead to very different outcomes.

Let's pretend that A Link Between Worlds didn't have the save point system, but rather the system that A Link to the Past did. Now let's pretend that you decide to save at a random spot in Hyrule Field. Upon rebooting the game, you'd have to choose among a few different locations to restart at. Now, let's switch back to the system that ALBW actually has and say that there's a save point in the same random spot as before. In this instance, you'd restart in that same spot.

These two scenarios aren't the same by any stretch of the imagination. Ergo everything I had to say before.
You didn't limit yourself to the precise terms of the poll before so I don't know why you're trying to now.

They are the exact same system, except in one case the save point and the load point are the same, and in the other the load points are set while the save point is anywhere. The system is exactly the same in the one significant respect: You reload at specific points. In both cases the respawn point is clear, and preset.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
You didn't limit yourself to the precise terms of the poll before so I don't know why you're trying to now.

Except I did... I've followed the same premise the entire time. Not sure what you were thinking I was saying early on, but it wasn't any different.

They are the exact same system, except in one case the save point and the load point are the same, and in the other the load points are set while the save point is anywhere. The system is exactly the same in the one significant respect: You reload at specific points. In both cases the respawn point is clear, and preset.

I said the scenarios/outcomes aren't the same. The systems themselves are very similar, but one offers immediate access to saving with a potential consequence of tedious backtracking, while the other requires some seeking out in order to have the convenience of starting at a spot you'd like to right off the bat the next time you jump back in. That's been my entire point all along, as both can be better for different situations.

Japas

Indigo-Go's Bassist
I really like saving anywhere/anytime because I can just go "gonna stop playing" and stop there but with things like Skyward Sword it's like, well, I want to stop playing but I have to get to a statue might as well keep playing. That's more of a self control matter though. I'd like to be able to save anywhere/anytime in the next game but maybe they could do what SS did and have (bird) statues within the dungeon because those were really good reminders for me. I tend to oversave or not save at all. I think it would be nice if dungeon saving could only be done with the statues not through the menu. It also allows me to start in that room instead of in the beginning like previous games.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I'd definitely rather save anywhere. Because it still brings you the beginning of the dungeon, saving anywhere is just convenience and doesn't make the game easier (like it might in say, Final Fantasy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom