• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Clank

Hmm
This is twofold.

1. Now that the SB has its own tab, can we please get rid of that hideous "Inactive Mode"? I reflexively refresh it by clicking on the Forum Header, but it doesn't work anymore.

2. Can we make all of the Tabs resize when they are active? Currently, the SB, New Posts, and Rules tabs have the "Forum" tab as the resized one.
1. It doesn't go into inactive mode if you make a shout.
2. It seems that would be a lot of work for little benefit.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
1. It doesn't go into inactive mode if you make a shout.

What if you're watching a conversation but not actively participating? And several times it went inactive on me while I was typing a shout. Just get rid of it, the dedicated page makes it an annoying redundancy.

2. It seems that would be a lot of work for little benefit.

What, you want a site that looks inconsistent?

Clank

Hmm
What if you're watching a conversation but not actively participating? And several times it went inactive on me while I was typing a shout. Just get rid of it, the dedicated page makes it an annoying redundancy.

Well you have several solutions, keep a tab where you have made at least one shout since opening open at all times like I do, type faster(it has what, a five minute timeout or something?), or just simply refresh the thing when it happens.

I mean sure it is kind-of redundant to have, but there isn't even any guarantee that it will stay this way. I guess my point is if the administration feels a need to have it to reduce load(it still should to an extent) then it is easy enough to change your habits.
What, you want a site that looks inconsistent?

I never said that, I said it would likely be a lot of work for little benefit, I mean you would have to define a custom header for each tab. That might work alright for the SB tab, which has a different page altogether, but let's look at the rules tab here real quick.
Rules tab URL said:
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15358
Hmm, this looks familiar...
URL of this thread said:
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10047
Hmm, they look similar, in fact I bet they are both grabbed from the database using the same process, this would mean that for a custom header on the Rules tab/page, we would have to check every single time someone requests a thread to see if it is the rules thread, as we only want to slap a custom header on the rules thread. However this checking would take time, thus adding more load to the server and slowing down the site overall. The same goes for the New Posts tab(just with searches instead of threads)

So yeah, it is possible, but it would take a lot of work to implement and it quite simply wouldn't really be worth it imo.

But I am not the administration here, you convince Mases that either of these are a good idea and they will likely be implemented.

Kybyrian

Terminus said:
1. Now that the SB has its own tab, can we please get rid of that hideous "Inactive Mode"? I reflexively refresh it by clicking on the Forum Header, but it doesn't work anymore.

This is to help reduce server load. Though it's not an important consumer, it takes power to be able to refresh the shoutbox, especially with the quick refresh times we have set. Aside from that, there is a refresh button that appears in the chatbox itself when it goes into inactive mode that you can click rather than reloading the page.

Terminus said:
2. Can we make all of the Tabs resize when they are active? Currently, the SB, New Posts, and Rules tabs have the "Forum" tab as the resized one.

Well, for the most part, Clank is right. vBulletin does script-based highlighting. This means you that you identify the name of the script at the beginning of the PHP file (for example, forum.php has a script name and you input that script name into the vBulletin tab option to make it highlight when you're on any page that uses the script name "forum"). This is why we can't highlight the Rules tab. The rules tab is part of the script "showthread". If you input showthread into the tab highlight option, it will highlight "Rules" every time you view a thread because all threads use the same script.

If you wanted to check through this each time to verify that you're looking at the specific URL for the Rules or New Posts tabs, however, you'd need to make a custom script that would check every time you load a thread or search, as Clank said. This would produce a lot of unnecessary load on the server.

The same goes for new posts. New posts uses search.php and therefore the search script. If you put the search script into the tab highlighting option it will highlight the New Posts tab if you're searching for any posts, threads, users, etc. and not just when you're in the New Posts tab.

As for the chatbox, however, that can be done. It doesn't share with anything else so I'll talk to Locke about making that one. I've experimented with getting all the tabs to highlight before and what I just said are confirmed issues because I thought the same thing you did when I was admin.

Last edited:
I never said that, I said it would likely be a lot of work for little benefit, I mean you would have to define a custom header for each tab. That might work alright for the SB tab, which has a different page altogether, but let's look at the rules tab here real quick.

Not true, actually. This is handled entirely by CSS. The CSS class "active" is appended to the active tab (this being Forum in most cases), which then styles the active tab. So, you would have to instead change the behavior of vBulletin's tabs in the ACP, which would actually be simpler than "defining a custom header for each tab".

Kybyrian said:
Well, for the most part, Clank is right. vBulletin does script-based highlighting. This means you that you identify the name of the script at the beginning of the PHP file (for example, forum.php has a script name and you input that script name into the vBulletin tab option to make it highlight when you're on any page that uses the script name "forum"). This is why we can't highlight the Rules tab. The rules tab is part of the script "showthread". If you input showthread into the tab highlight option, it will highlight "Rules" every time you view a thread because all threads use the same script.

What? To make style changes you should never touch the PHP files. They contain only the business logic, nothing to do with styling. vBulletin has a template system for this reason, which actually has its own basic markdown anyway for simple logic, akin to WikiCode.

Last edited:

Clank

Hmm
Not true, actually. This is handled entirely by CSS. The CSS class "active" is appended to the active tab (this being Forum in most cases), which then styles the active tab. So, you would have to instead change the behavior of vBulletin's tabs in the ACP, which would actually be simpler than "defining a custom header for each tab".

While yes, you can do it that way, my point is that you still have to define custom CSS and this doesn't eliminate the main issue here of delivering the one style for the Rules page and yet a different one for the rest of the threads.

What? To make style changes you should never touch the PHP files. They contain only the business logic, nothing to do with styling. vBulletin has a template system for this reason, which actually has its own basic markdown anyway for simple logic, akin to WikiCode.

I may be wrong, but I think he is saying that they have vBulletin setup to deliver custom CSS markup based on which PHP file is being requested, not that they are actually changing the PHP files.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want to suggest that Competition Leaders gain access to two things:

- stickying/unstickying
- handing out awards

We go through such painstaking efforts to get a competition going, then learn at the end of the day that we still need a mod. This isn't necessarily bad; the mod team is quite swift with responses to requests. However, it would make things just a tiny bit easier for competitions to run. I know I for example have not been able to award Krazy4Krash for winning in a competition either two or three months ago - still haven't, actually.

I suggest that the "Technology" section be more inclusive of sciences and other topics non-exclusive to computers and the like, and it be called "Science & Technology". This would broaden the range of discussion there, as it would allow people to discuss a variety of technical/science-related topics.

Last edited:

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I suggest that the "Technology" section be more inclusive of sciences and other topics non-exclusive to computers and the like, and it be called "Science & Technology". This would broaden the range of discussion there, as it would allow people to discuss a variety of technical/science-related topics.

I've been thinking this since I joined. Technology is too limiting. Science and technology go hand in hand and expanding this section to include the sciences would not only bring more traffic, but it would enhance the quality of the section.

Clank

Hmm
Are notifications for group posts (or actions) an option?

Kind-of, you can subscribe to groups by email so that you get an email whenever someone posts something in a group, however I don't think there is a way to do it with the vBulletin notification system.

Sadia

Have a Punderful Day!
I love the like system as much as the next guy, but is it possible to stop getting notifications for every like you receive? :?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I love the like system as much as the next guy, but is it possible to stop getting notifications for every like you receive? :?

Nope and I don't think we should stop getting notifications. See, this site is run on chivalry - the act of doing good deeds and all that nonsense. We need to be notified of someone liking our posts so we can continue making posts like the ones that are getting liked. This is good.

مَوطِنِي مَوطِنِي
الجلالُ والجمالُ والسَّنَاءُ والبَهَاءُ
في رُبَاكْ في رُبَاكْ
والحياةُ والنجاةُ والهناءُ والرجاءُ
في هواكْ في هواكْ
هلْ أراكْ هلْ أراكْ
سالِماً مُنَعَّماً و غانما مكرما
سالما منعما و غانما مكرما
هلْ أراكْ في عُلاكْ
تبلُغُ السِّمَاكْ تبلغُ السِّمَاكْ
مَوطِنِي مَوطِنِي
مَوطِنِي مَوطِنِي