• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are Dark Link and Shadow Link the Same Person?

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
If your talking about OoT's miniboss you may call him "Dark Link," if your talking about Four Swords mischievous rascal you may call him "Shadow Link," And then there are probably some of you who never even noticed the difference. Some people will say say there completely different , some say there related, and some claim outright there the same person. What do you think, are they the same? If so, why? I personally think there the same person, why else would they look so similar, obviously he can transcend time, like Link, so there's no problem with what games he's in. "But Poka!They fight differently!" Who's to say the Link in OoT is similar to Puppet Ganon, just an essence of what the real shadow link is.

Salem

SICK
Shadow Link and Dark Link are not even "persons" it doesn't matter what they're called. They are both created by some kind of magic and resemble the real Link, it doesn't matter really.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Dark Link is an entity, of which we know little about, that appears as a boss in Zelda II and OoT. Shadow Link however, is an enemy that is created by the Dark Mirrors in FSA, actually the Dark Mirror creates several.

It's hard to pin point just what exactly Dark/Shadow Link are but to me they are dark entities that seem to reflect Link himself. I do think the two are linked in some fashion but I don't think it really matters.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'm not all that knowledgeable about FSA, but it seems like Shadow Link is created in a different manner than Dark Link. Shadow Link seems to be created from a mirror and can roam around independently & wreak havoc far from the mirror itself, whereas Dark Link has always appeared in a trap-set room to face of against Link.

They're both magically-created entities [so they're not really people anyways], but their manner of creation is different. To that, I'll say Dark Link and Shadow Link are different things.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Dark Link in OoT is a mirror image created by the room he appears in; the entire room is an inverted version of Lake Hylia until you defeat Dark Link, in which case the image shatters. This would explain why Dark Link's power/life depends on yours, i.e. how many hearts you enter the room with. Shadow Link, as I understand, is an entirely separate enemy that doesn't depend on Link or the room you're in when fighting.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
^
|
-- :facepalm:

This is why Nintendo needs to re-introduce Dark Link as a character in a way for people to better understand his role in series.

That's one thing I like about the FSA manga and the old Comics by Valiant is that actually gave Dark/Shadow Link good examples of the character role he's suppose to have in the series in those.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
They're not people. Entities don't have to be people. Absolutely nothing either of them has done has indicated that they have any sort of personality or individual consciousness.

Let me say this: Shadow Link and Dark Link CANNOT be the same person, because Shadow Link isn't ONE PERSON. There are multiple Shadow Links at a time. Maybe Dark Link can be a Shadow Link... I guess possibly... but you can't just say "Shadow Link is Dark Link" because the singular pronoun "Shadow Link" does not really exist (unless we're naming one character after their race like in Mario games). Thus why it is an entity, or a title, rather than a person.

Shadow Links are created from the Dark Mirror by Vaati and/or Ganon to cause destruction across Hyrule. As previous people have pointed out, Shadow Link appears to be able to act individually, or at least act on orders away from the Links. Dark Link always appears to be linked to Link (hah) and is dependent on his presence.

Besides, why would they be the same person? The Links are not the same people. AoL Link is different from OoT Link, so wouldn't their reflections be different, too? Beauts brought up the excellent point that Dark Link's power in OoT is directly taken from your own, which shows how he can change. As a result, I don't think even Dark Link alone is the same person.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
It should be noted that he is called Shadow Link or "Link's Shadow" in the Adventure of Link.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
It seems to me that we have now come to the conclusion that Shadow/ dark Link is not in actuality a person. Therefore the question now becomes not, whether shadow and dark link are the same person but rather are they the same entity or type of entity.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I don't know, but something completely unrelated, Why do people pair Link with Dark Link on Fanfiction? I mean I understand if it's another male. But how? With himself? Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom