• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Nintendo Go Third Party?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Graphics help to create immersion and strengthen mood.

False. AESTHETICS do. Graphics mean absolutely nothing. They just determine how many pixels and polygons you can have. You can have all of those in the world, but if you have terrible aesthetics, then your game is going to be immersion-breaking just to look at. Why do you think The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword look infinitely better than Twilight Princess?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Realism in a game does not mean it's better. It never has been that way and only is that way to PC fanboys who think graphics matter on any level. Honestly, I like different, and unrealistic art styles in games. If every game looked real I'd just stop playing video games because it would be extremely boring and lifeless.

Immersion means feeling like that you are IN the game. That you ARE the character. Immersion requires realistic and detailed visuals.

No it doesn't, immersion isn't purely down to having realistic graphics. Customizing your character to make it look like you is immersion. Naming the character after yourself is immersion. Talking as if you are the character while you play the game is immersion. So many ways to immerse with video games, realistic graphics isn't a necessity.

Now I'm contradicting myself with my previous comment. Again immersion has nothing to do with Nintendo going third party.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Immersion requires realistic and detailed visuals. It has to mimic the way real life looks and feels.

Immersion is dependant upon engagement, not visuals. It doesn't matter what something looks like, as long as you engage with it then you can be immersed in it.

Take a novel. A good book that engages you emotionally, whatever those emotions may be, feels immersive and you feel like you are in the world on the page. No visuals at all, and this works equally for all kind of books, whether they're sci-fi, fantasy, romantic, comic, or thriller.

Take movies. Nosferatu is a grainy, black-and-white silent movie from the 1920s. Visually it is a filthy smudge compared to the super-crisp HD images we have today. I find it to be one of the scariest movies I've ever seen because it taps into my emotions better than something like Paranormal Activity or Sinister. I feel immersed in the horror because I engage with it more, not because it looks better.

Games are the same. Fancy, realistic graphics don't mean a thing if there's no engagement going on. I found Morrowind to be much, much more immersive than Skyrim because it felt like more of a real place and you learnt more about the lore of the world. It didn't matter that characters communicated with a text box or that half the world was shrouded in ash clouds to cover draw distances. For all of its visual advantages, Skyrim was a far weaker game because it was less engaging.

I've just finished Super Mario 3D Land again and it is one of th most immersive games I've played on a handheld in a long time. "How can that be when the visuals are so inferior to what a £600 PC could produce?" Because I'm engaged with the gameplay. Timing my jumps, knowing when to run and when to walk, deciding on whether I should take a Tanooki Leaf or a Fire Flower, the feeling in the pit of my stomach when I leap and see the platform start to move away from me just as I'm about to land, these are all things which immerse me in the game because I care about them, because I'm engaging with it. Super Mario 64 still gives me that experience, and that looks like crap today.

Visuals are not important when it comes to immersion. Sure, they may help in some genres, but if your entire concept of immersion stems from the visuals then you are playing some pretty terrible games. Pretty, I'm sure, but terrible.

As an off topic side-note, I thought Twilight Princess looked better than The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword. But that's just me, I prefered that art style.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
While I'm not against realism in Zelda, the game that you mentioned--The Wind Waker--was not about realism. Zelda is fantasy based series at the end of the day; it's not first and foremost about realism nor immersion.

I think a lot of people are blinded by realism/better graphics = better game. While it certainly adds to the package it's not the answer.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm literally dumbfounded right now. I can't believe this guy actually thinks a game can't be immersive if it doesn't have realistic graphics. I suppose cartoons aren't capable of immersion, either? Or a good Pixar movie?

Yeah, this proves it. Haxor is nothing but a blinded PC elitist that has absolutely no grasp on reality. I say we all ignore him at this point. There's no helping the poor fool.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Explain why I don't know what I'm talking about when I bring up specs. That PC build is indisputably more powerful than the Wii U in every single way.

And because of that Nintendo should go third party? Yeah makes total sense...

Also, lol at graphics and immersion! Not even nice graphics turn me into a ****in' nut who thinks he's in a video game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I don't think anyone ever actually believes they're literally in a video game when they say they're immersed in it. All that means is they buy what's happening on-screen and can make a mental connection to it, forgetting about the outside world for the moment being and getting lost in the experience. That's what immersion IS.

Salem

SICK
Companies shouldn't have to make the consoles using the most powerful hardware ever, it's more expensive, I don't remember which topic was it but I talked about before. I don't know if you even read it TehLeetHaxor.

Also, talking about graphics and immersion, I honestly don't understand when people say that some games are more "immersive" than others. I sometimes feel it's a way for people to praise a criticise a game without knowing how to explain it well.

Lets face it, this thread is a dead horse, and its pointless to beat a dead horse so maybe we should put down our bats and go to a thread that hasn't been reduced to a never ending pointless squabble.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't think anyone ever actually believes they're literally in a video game when they say they're immersed in it. All that means is they buy what's happening on-screen and can make a mental connection to it, forgetting about the outside world for the moment being and getting lost in the experience. That's what immersion IS.

Yeah, but according to someone here you ARE the character and you're IN the game cuz graphics... All immersion means is that you spend a lot of time doing something. You don't have to like your job to be immersed in it. The Wind Waker doesn't have to look realistic for it to be an engaging experience. Anyway, I think this guy lost his marbles or something.

Lets face it, this thread is a dead horse, and its pointless to beat a dead horse so maybe we should put down our bats and go to a thread that hasn't been reduced to a never ending pointless squabble.

Beating a dead horse really takes off the stress though.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Y'know...even if Nintendo went third party...what the hell makes you think they'd make their graphics realistic? The graphics are unrealistic, not because Nintendo can't make them realistic...but because they don't want it to be realistic. No matter how much money it gets them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom