• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xbox One Controller Sucks?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I've seen/heard numerous people online, whether it be YouTube, Facebook, yadda yadda, whom I KNOW to not be trolls, saying that the Xbox One's controller is actually a step... backwards from the 360 controller (D-pad aside, of course). They're saying things like it feels really cheap and that the bumpers are the worst on any controller ever. Rich of ReviewTechUSA (one of the most accurate and unbiased people I've ever heard speak, especially on YouTube) described it as feeling "cramped", something I would never have expected after seeing it side-by-side with the DualShock 4.

I find this very bizarre, since literally billions of dollars went into developing the damn thing -- a bit excessive if you ask me, but that's another topic entirely -- and that it just LOOKS like it'd be the perfect controller for standard gaming. This has left me wondering how far these kinds of statements span across the Web. Just how many people actually think this? So if there are any of you out there that have gotten your hands on it STRAIGHT FROM THE BOX, not at a demo event: What are your thoughts on Microsoft's new controller?

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I haven't had my hands on it so I can't say, but as a person that owned a 360, and my PC gamepad is almost like a dual shock controller, I can see why people who loved the 360 controller would hate it, they basically made 2 triggers. Which I would probably prefer, mean while the ps4 tried to make bumpers... I'd probably find myself liking the xbox 1 controller more then the 360 one (which I never really liked that much).

The shape of the 360 controller was good, and the main triggers were nice and responsive, I'm more of a fan for inline dual sticks vs offset ones. And the 360 dpad was just plain horrible, I mean trying to play sonic generations or sonic 1 on that thing is just bad. The dpad is unresponsive, inaccurate, and its dead zone needed to be bigger because it would try going directions on its own sometimes.

I think its really going to come down to preference on it.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I dunno what they're on about. I've been playing Dead Rising 3 and the controller is definitely a step up from the 360. Perhaps they feel it's cheap because the sticks feel a lot looser and the overall controller is lighter but it definitely isn't cheap, and the sticks being loose just gives them more space. My boyfriend had minor complaints about the deadzones in the bumpers, cos of his big hands I guess, but that took literally an hour, if that, for him to place his fingers differently and there was no problem, and I've had no problem either. I like the triggers a lot too, especially after enduring the click and squeaking coming from my 360 controller's messed up ones. :P

I'm replacing my long used 360 controller on my PC with an Xbox One controller. I do think it's better than the 360 controller; I suppose everyone has their opinions, though I've seen more people praise the XB1 controller than diss it, but my opinion is this is far from a step back from the 360. I don't think it'll sway any Dualshock fans though but it's very good.

And it's also worth noting I think the Xbox One is great so far, love my purchase. I was playing Dead Rising 3 and my boyfriend asks to see the football scores, which would involve me pausing my game usually and sitting there in a huff. Nope, he just snaps TV to the side and barks commands to Kinect and I just continue playing. :) So useful.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I've heard a lot of people have problems with the analogue sticks and bumpers. Of course I haven't personally held one, but I have heard of such complaints. At the end of the day though it's just a controller and I'm sure it doesn't detract from the experience that much.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Having an XBOX One at my house and having spent time with the controller, I honestly don't see how it's the "worst controller ever" or "a step backwards." Sure, it's gonna take some time to get used to this new design after having spent countless hours holding the previous controller. I do hate that they made the analog sticks smaller, but it's a very minor issue with an otherwise comfortable controller. Personally, I hated the PS3 controller. It's like it was designed for children or something. The thing was so lightweight and the analog sticks were so crammed together that it felt like I could have broken the thing after excessive use. So I'm glad that Sony got their **** together with the PS4 controller. It's not better than the XBOX One control, just different really.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Perhaps they feel it's cheap because the sticks feel a lot looser and the overall controller is lighter

What I meant by "cheap" is that the controller itself feels like it's made of cheaper material than the 360 controller -- that it literally FEELS cheaper. I can't confirm if this is true or not myself, I'm just regurgitating what others have said.

and the sticks being loose just gives them more space.

The fact that the analogs are "loose" probably means they don't have as tight of a deadzone, which would certainly be qualifiable as a step backwards in my book.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why are you asking this as if its a question? This is fact...in my opinion, of course. (;)) The Xbox One controller is a ****ing regression. The day I took my sis to GameStop to get her a copy of ZeldaALBW, I felt the PS4 and X1 controllers (hadn't done so before). The DS4 felt better than DS3 aside from the thumbsticks, which feel like some weird cross between analogue sticks and circle pads. The X1 controller feels like balls mixed with the 360 controller. The X1 controller is absolutely horrid.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
JuicieJ said:
What I meant by "cheap" is that the controller itself feels like it's made of cheaper material than the 360 controller -- that it literally FEELS cheaper. I can't confirm if this is true or not myself, I'm just regurgitating what others have said.

Well in my opinion that sounds like a load of ****. :P It feels no different to the 360 controller as far as material goes bar, as I said, it's lighter. But it doesn't feel noticeably cheaper at all, no. To be honest, alternating holding them as I am now, there's barely any difference to them bar the weight and shape really, it doesn't feel cheaper, or at least not as far as I can tell. I also much prefer the cushioned triggers of the XB1 controller than the clicky ones of the 360, they feel a lot better quality.

JuicieJ said:
The fact that the analogs are "loose" probably means they don't have as tight of a deadzone, which would certainly be qualifiable as a step backwards in my book.

I don't know where you got that from. The anologs themselves are more raised and have more area for movement, so they're a bit looser and faster to move around to compensate for having more range to them, that's why they're like that. It gives them a lot more precision and it's certainly not a step-back, no, I don't agree with your conclusion at all after using it myself. The new style makes them easier to grip too, it's a lot more comfortable to hold in general, but you need to hold it a certain way otherwise the deadzone of the bumpers gets you.

But overall, yeah, the controller feels great. No problems to report so far. My boyfriend would say differently but none of his complaints are anything you said. He just says it's awkward for people with big hands but it's just cos he's holding it silly and refuses not to. :P

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
but you need to hold it a certain way otherwise the deadzone of the bumpers gets you.

That's flawed design if I ever heard it. I shouldn't be forced to hold a controller JUST RIGHT in order to not experience handling issues between the analogs and bumpers. Probably not a game-breaking factor, but it sounds just as annoying as the DualShock 3's triggers.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
That's flawed design if I ever heard it. I shouldn't be forced to hold a controller JUST RIGHT in order to not experience handling issues between the analogs and bumpers. Probably not a game-breaking factor, but it sounds just as annoying as the DualShock 3's triggers.

You don't need to hold it JUST RIGHT, it's not that bad. :P Lol. But yeah, you can't push it down right at the tip. It's weird. How my boyfriend was laying his hands on the controller he had his index fingers laid across the bumpers and used the tip of his finger to press in, and the Xbox One controller does not like that. You've gotta push in with your entire finger, or at least move your finger down a bit, cos the very very very tip doesn't push in. The new triggers are angled a bit and thicker so you don't need to hold it like he does but it's hard to change a habit I suppose.

So I think it's a minor flaw but thankfully not one that really effects the games, like you said, more just an annoying little thing that might effect you for an hour or so. He's holding it better now and has no issues, and I've never had any. :) So it's alright.

I personally love it but the bumper buttons feel less user friendly. Maybe I'm alone here but when cooking grenades in Ghosts I've had some bad throws because I'm not used to the bumper. Otherwise everything is much better. The d-pad is nice for Killer Instinct.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I have a question: does the controller feel lighter than the 360 version? Simply by analysing I thought it seemed like a carbon copy with slight upgrades but I've heard some complains about the actual weight for some reason, lol.

Ah, yes. I've heard the complaints about the bumpers from my co-worker, who, by the way, just so happens to be a huge Xbox fanboy. He says that their placement is kind of awkward and takes some getting used to. He said a few more things about them that I can't quite recall right now, but it appeared as if he was trying to contain himself the whole time from flat-out bashing the console. Must be pretty disconcerting for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom