• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who's Your best and Worst Character in Brawl?

Ike is in general considered to be a cheap or uber character.

That made me laugh actually. Terms like "uber" and "cheap" really make me laugh when it comes to SSB games in general. Just seems like an excuse for somone to cry over losing when they're beaten. I see no character as the ultimate, as you can always match it with your own character and skill. I for one know Meta Knight's biggest weakness as a light character; Dedede can make short work of him. Ike has a short attack range (his "long distance" is super predictable and avoidable), characters like Diddy and Samus with projectiles work great.

I've heard almost every character in Brawl be called "cheap", and it's always by the guy that just got his *** handed to him because he wasn't good enough.

That made me laugh actually. Terms like "uber" and "cheap" really make me laugh when it comes to SSB games in general. Just seems like an excuse for somone to cry over losing when they're beaten. I see no character as the ultimate, as you can always match it with your own character and skill. I for one know Meta Knight's biggest weakness as a light character; Dedede can make short work of him. Ike has a short attack range (his "long distance" is super predictable and avoidable), characters like Diddy and Samus with projectiles work great.

I've heard almost every character in Brawl be called "cheap", and it's always by the guy that just got his *** handed to him because he wasn't good enough.

Actually, you're wrong. Ike has alot of unfair advantages in closed spaces. Do you know what it's like to be cornered and spammed by sword flames? Most people who play using Ike as a preference are not only cheap, but extremely lazy to build up skill. On areas where there are big distances between cliffs, you would most likely use Ice Climbers, Kirby, or Meta Knight. I know for a fact that Samus is probably the best, non-uber character. That is to say, without items (extra screw attack makes her cheap, and ZS final smash is just deadly when used right). Ike on the other hand, pretty much just has a built in advantage. Counter attack and Final Fantasy size sword pretty much makes him my least favorite character.

Actually, you're wrong. Ike has alot of unfair advantages in closed spaces. Do you know what it's like to be cornered and spammed by sword flames? Most people who play using Ike as a preference are not only cheap, but extremely lazy to build up skill. On areas where there are big distances between cliffs, you would most likely use Ice Climbers, Kirby, or Meta Knight. I know for a fact that Samus is probably the best, non-uber character. That is to say, without items (extra screw attack makes her cheap, and ZS final smash is just deadly when used right). Ike on the other hand, pretty much just has a built in advantage. Counter attack and Final Fantasy size sword pretty much makes him my least favorite character.

You're just taking his strong points, capitalizing them, and then complaing, without thinking about ways to counter them. Closed spaces? Use a quick evasive character to either sideway dodge out of them; his B move is slow and shot distance, so I have no idea how you get the impression that you can spam with it. Like, I said, characters like Diddy and Samus can make ver short work of him quickly, by capitalizing on hie short range, pathetic speed, and power that isn't so awsome compared to the likes of Bowser and Dedede. Still that's asuming we're in a "closed area" like you're saying; there are plenty of ares that aren't, even if we assume what you say is correct. Again, there is no best character; just the guys who complain because they aren't good enough to win.

Last edited:
You're just taking his strong points, capitalizing them, and then complaing, without thinking about ways to counter them. Closed spaces? Use a quick evasive character to either sideway dodge out of them; his B move is slow and shot distance, so I have no idea how you get the impression that you can spam with it. Like, I said, characters like Diddy and Samus can make ver short work of him quickly, by capitalizing on hie short range, pathetic speed, and power that isn't so awsome compared to the likes of Bowser and Dedede. Still that's asuming we're in a "closed area" like you're saying; there are plenty of ares that aren't, even if we assume what you say is correct. Again, there is no best character; just the guys who complain because they aren't good enough to win.

The only better character is Sonic just for his final smash. He's the reason Smash Balls are not used commonly.

But on the topic of Ike, the closed areas I'm talking about are the ones that I unknowingly put in custom stages. I should stop trying to make pictures out of my stages. But really, it's not because we suck, it's because the guy using Ike is either really strong, a newbie who just doesn't want to suck, or is really lazy. I have a community that consists of the last two, and very few people who are skilled with Ike. So it's really just a matter of who you're playing against.

I wouldn't say I have a WORST character, but I do know for a fact that my best is...

wait for it...

IKE! Yes, the slowass character no one seems to properly appreciate. =P That's why I like him, he's different. And powerful as all hell. And his Ragnell is one of the more epic blades I've ever seen in any game.

I'm good with pretty much every character. I can even hold my own against skilled opponents when using my worst characters. That's one of the prime reasons I pick Random so often.

But my very best is Marth. I can completely own most opponents with him. Rushing enemies, and getting them with his fast combo slashes, his long reach, or his counter (which I actually use somewhat rarely). I tend to be incredibly good at juggling with Marth.

My worst is probably Luigi. I hardly ever pick him and the way he jumps and moves in the air bothers me. If I were to pick him more often (which I've been considering) I'd likely improve significantly.

Funny thing is, my very best character isn't really my favorite. I have the most fun playing as Meta Knight, Toon Link, Wolf, Falco, and Fox. I also often have a lot of fun with Sonic and Snake.

The only better character is Sonic just for his final smash. He's the reason Smash Balls are not used commonly.

But on the topic of Ike, the closed areas I'm talking about are the ones that I unknowingly put in custom stages. I should stop trying to make pictures out of my stages. But really, it's not because we suck, it's because the guy using Ike is either really strong, a newbie who just doesn't want to suck, or is really lazy. I have a community that consists of the last two, and very few people who are skilled with Ike. So it's really just a matter of who you're playing against.
Sonic's FS is one of the most straightforward to dodge, actually. Like all Final Smashes, it's avoidable, but due to it's speed it's a little harder than usual. Even if it's a little more challenging, the basic idea behind dodging it is actually really simple compared to other ones, like Samus, Peach, Luigi, or Olimar.

As for Ike... I really don't feel he's cheap. I will say he's strong. He's definitely a powerful character, but he's horrendously slow. I can play opponents of equal skill who play as Ike and beat them with any other character.

He's definitely strong, though, I won't deny that. He's actually one of the characters I'd recommend to beginners. But I don't think he's cheap. Not to say he can't be used cheaply; every single character can.

Waker of winds

Finally playing PH!
My best would be Lucario or Toon Link.

When I'm in a good mood, and I want to use weapons or be fast, I choose Toon Link.

When I want to own at any cost, I choose Lucario.

I also choose Pit, Meta Knight and Bowser very often.

My worst would be...Sonic... No matter how many times I choose him, I can't get used to his extreme speed and movements. I also have problems with Ness, Lucas and Snake.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master

Okay I just want to jump in and say that while Sonic's final smash is super powerful it is still avoidable. You just need the right timing and such and pray that Sonic doesn't move in the way you're going to dodge to.

Also I never really found Ike all that cheap. He's slow but powerful, his up b move gets some decent air, and his front b move is slow but very powerful. Sure he's one of the more powerful characters he's also one of the least accurate meaning he can be easily countered with an agile, accurate, and fast character such as Marth. If anything Marth is an uber character while Ike is a relatively hapless character. But it depends on how you use the character. Like for instance I suck with Zero Suit Samus but she might be someone else's very best character. And I rock with Luigi while he's Axel's worst character.

Okay I just want to jump in and say that while Sonic's final smash is super powerful it is still avoidable. You just need the right timing and such and pray that Sonic doesn't move in the way you're going to dodge to.

Also I never really found Ike all that cheap. He's slow but powerful, his up b move gets some decent air, and his front b move is slow but very powerful. Sure he's one of the more powerful characters he's also one of the least accurate meaning he can be easily countered with an agile, accurate, and fast character such as Marth. If anything Marth is an uber character while Ike is a relatively hapless character. But it depends on how you use the character. Like for instance I suck with Zero Suit Samus but she might be someone else's very best character. And I rock with Luigi while he's Axel's worst character.
I can agree with you there. The only true advantage Ike has over Marth is his durability and weight, IMO. He can take a lot more punishment than Marth can. Other than that, Marth's speed coupled with his good power and great speed + agility make him really effing tough.

Anyway, funny story. So I actually went and played Luigi a bunch (I rarely ever pick him) as well as all the other characters I rarely pick or at least haven't picked much recently. Turns out once I got the hang of him I really liked Luigi and I've become pretty good with him.

My new worst character (and also my least favorite) is Peach. She's... not very strong and her jumping and aerial abilities aren't my thing... -.- She's a largely defensive and slow character, whereas my play style generally revolves around aggression mixed with either speed or power. Exact opposites basically. :P

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I can agree with you there. The only true advantage Ike has over Marth is his durability and weight, IMO. He can take a lot more punishment than Marth can. Other than that, Marth's speed coupled with his good power and great speed + agility make him really effing tough.

Anyway, funny story. So I actually went and played Luigi a bunch (I rarely ever pick him) as well as all the other characters I rarely pick or at least haven't picked much recently. Turns out once I got the hang of him I really liked Luigi and I've become pretty good with him.

My new worst character (and also my least favorite) is Peach. She's... not very strong and her jumping and aerial abilities aren't my thing... -.- She's a largely defensive and slow character, whereas my play style generally revolves around aggression mixed with either speed or power. Exact opposites basically. :P

I hear ya Peach=epic fail. She should just stick to letting the bros handle things. Plus her final smash=epic fail. Just a bunch of food... I can see how it can be helpful on her last life and with a high damage percentage but anyone can eat it. Just stun her (generally easy) and you've got free food. And unfortunately her achievement is very hard to pull off. But still I suck more at other characters. Also I have a new best character.

SQUIRTLE!!!!! Yep I've been playin through Brawl's subspace emissary and (WARNING!! YOU ARE ABOUT TO EXPERIENCE SPOILERS!!) got to the part where you use Lucas and the Pokemon Trainer to get through the ruined zoo. I suck crap at Lucas so I chose Pokemon Trainer and really started to get the hang of Squirtle. And there are other changes as well. So that moves my rankings to:

No. 5 Luigi

No. 4 Diddy Kong

No. 3 Pikachu

No. 2 Fox

No. 1 Squirtle

Yep Shiek, Mario, and Toon Link were knocked right out of the top five. I love Squirtle's Rapid Spin (my most trusted move). It kinda reminds me of Koops/Kooper's Power Shell attack from the Paper Marios.

DesertDweller

Love Truth
I hear ya Peach=epic fail. She should just stick to letting the bros handle things. Plus her final smash=epic fail. Just a bunch of food... I can see how it can be helpful on her last life and with a high damage percentage but anyone can eat it. Just stun her (generally easy) and you've got free food. And unfortunately her achievement is very hard to pull off. But still I suck more at other characters. Also I have a new best character.
Ack! Such ignorant speech! :)

Peach is a terrific character. Her floating abilities allow her to dodge things much more easily than other people. She has everything I could want in a player: stellar recovery (making it virtually impossible to SD if you have any skill), a counterattack move (:cool: which works great against anybody more powerful than her, the most demoralizing throws (okay so maybe that's not a big deal), a projectile attack, a side + B that will hit through anything, a move that will get you items when they're turned off, the list goes on. (ever pulled a bomb or home-run bat out when items are off? ... "Where the heck did that come from?" :P )

And if you don't like her final smash then don't play her. I think it's awesome. Peach is really good for hovering out way off the edge of the stage and attacking players still recovering. Her final smash allows you to do that easily.

Plus, Peach's smash is the only smash (that I'm aware of) that actually benefits HERSELF. Peach is the only character I can consistently win a five-life game without losing a life, simply because she can recover health easily. Her smash allows her to get easy KOs on those who it would be otherwise difficult to KO.

If I had to criticize Peach, it would be for her lack of strong KO moves. She can deal out damage better than most, but it's hard for her to KO somebody. Usually I end up hitting them a little bit off the edge, then aggressively beating them back farther and farther until they can't recover anymore.

But seriously, she's an awesome character. What could be better than taunting "La La La LaLa La" when you ko someone else? :D

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Ack! Such ignorant speech! :)

Peach is a terrific character. Her floating abilities allow her to dodge things much more easily than other people. She has everything I could want in a player: stellar recovery (making it virtually impossible to SD if you have any skill), a counterattack move (:cool: which works great against anybody more powerful than her, the most demoralizing throws (okay so maybe that's not a big deal), a projectile attack, a side + B that will hit through anything, a move that will get you items when they're turned off, the list goes on. (ever pulled a bomb or home-run bat out when items are off? ... "Where the heck did that come from?" :P )

And if you don't like her final smash then don't play her. I think it's awesome. Peach is really good for hovering out way off the edge of the stage and attacking players still recovering. Her final smash allows you to do that easily.

Plus, Peach's smash is the only smash (that I'm aware of) that actually benefits HERSELF. Peach is the only character I can consistently win a five-life game without losing a life, simply because she can recover health easily. Her smash allows her to get easy KOs on those who it would be otherwise difficult to KO.

If I had to criticize Peach, it would be for her lack of strong KO moves. She can deal out damage better than most, but it's hard for her to KO somebody. Usually I end up hitting them a little bit off the edge, then aggressively beating them back farther and farther until they can't recover anymore.

But seriously, she's an awesome character. What could be better than taunting "La La La LaLa La" when you ko someone else? :D

Okay this may be true for you but I'm not accustomed to her abilities (meaning my statement of her above was true for me at least) and also I don't play as her usually. Although I can see where you're coming from with the taunt *dangles little sister over a cliff in a Peach costume and imitates taunt*. I tend to do well with more rounded characters such as Luigi. Also my list has yet again been altered.

No. 5 Ike

Yep I'm getting decent with Ike now. Not really as much as other players but still.

No. 4 Sonic

Yep the good ol' blue blur. Awesome to have him.

No. 3 Luigi

Yep good ol' green 'stache. His final smash is awesome (just let your enemies get close to try to steal the ball and let them have it).

No. 2 Fox

My personal fav character in Brawl. He's quick, agile, and awesome at close range combat.

No. 1 Ness

Oddly enough he used to be one of my worst characters. I'm now awesome at his B abilities. 'PK CROSS!' 'PK THUNDER' 'PK FIRE' And I love hitting him with his own thunder move. Serves him right for not serving me like that sooner.

S

~SongOfStorms

I only ever use Zero Suit Samus. I don't really know why, I decided that I would use her as my main before Brawl even came out. Worst for me is Olimar :/ I just can't seem to find any attacks that do any good damage xD

Now why didn't I think to put it in a list...?

1. Ike
2. Lucario
3. Lucas
4. Fox
5. Captain Falcon

Mains, anyway.

If I were to say my worst (at all), it'd be... Ganondorf? He's heavier than Ike, and I don't much favour his speed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom