• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Are Your Worst Fears of Zelda Wii U?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
1) It'll be too easy.
2) It'll be linear.
3) Magic will not be present.
4) The story will have the presentation of an epic but the execution of Skyward Sword.
5) It'll be overhyped to Twilight Princess levels but massively disappoint.
6) Exploration will be non-existent.
7) Gimmicks.

Those are my fears.

Big Octo

=^)
It will suck.

1.) The gameplay will be over-simplified or ruined compared to how it was previously.
2.) It will be insultingly easy to appeal to casual gamers.
3.) A lot of hand-holding to, again, appeal to casual gamers.
4.) Poorly thought-up or executed story.
5.) The game will be more linear than a hallway.
6.) Motion controls instead of traditional or multiple control schemes.
7.) A game-central gimmick that falls falt on its face or irritates.

And perhaps more...

Salem

SICK
  1. Even longer cutscenes than SS and they can't be skipped
  2. an even more talkitive sidekick than FI
  3. speaking of sidekicks, I'd preferred no sidekick to be even presenet at all
  4. ANOTHER trasportation overworld
  5. oversized overworld with barely anything in it

Last edited:
Pretty much all the stuff already said about the gameplay sucking, being to easy or awkward. I don't know enough about the wii U to have really thought about it too much, but the hand held modern Zelda games are way easy and I found that to be very disappointing. I hope the new game is more intuitive instead of duh.

1. More linear then SS(is it even possible? lol)
2. A small disconnected world
3. "The Legend of Zelda - The Return of Fi"
4. Impressionistic art style

OK, so yeah, Skyward Sword isn't exactly my favorite Zelda game. But I don't hate it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It will be nonlinear, thus killing the story, crippling the puzzles, ruining the items, and taking us back to the dark ages.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
1). It will be a sequel to Skyward Sword.
2). It will have the same art style as Skyward Sword.
3). It will have Skyward Sword's motion controls.
4). It will have a s***ty story, like Skyward Sword's.
5). It will have another Hero Mode, like Skyward Sword's.
6). It will have a stupid TV ad, like Skyward Sword's.
7). The gameplay will suck, like Skyward Sword's.
8). Fi will be the sidekick again, like in Skyward Sword.
9). We'll fly Loftwings again, like in Skyward Sword.
10). Ghirahim will return but be the main villain, sort of like Skyward Sword.

Yep, seeing how much I hate Skyward S***, I fear Zelda Wii U will suck a**, just like how Skyward S*** sucked a**.

Z

ZeldaMaster101

1. It will be too cartoony...
2. Skyward Sword's motion controls!
3. The story will be short.
4. And the big one for me is (Multiplayer!!!)

Big Octo

=^)
Yet The Wind Waker is your favorite game ever.

The Wind Waker is easy in a way different to, say, how SS is. It was only easy by low damage output from enemies and such, not the way SS can be hand-holdy at times and explicit in telling you how to do something with hints that, to more hardcore gamers, seem completely unnecessary. Also, I don't find TWW to be insultingly easy. I find it easy, sure, but it never seemed like the developers were trying to appeal more to casual audiences with the game, not to me at least.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The Wind Waker is easy in a way different to, say, how SS is. It was only easy by low damage output from enemies and such, not the way SS can be hand-holdy at times and explicit in telling you how to do something with hints that, to more hardcore gamers, seem completely unnecessary. Also, I don't find TWW to be insultingly easy. I find it easy, sure, but it never seemed like the developers were trying to appeal more to casual audiences with the game, not to me at least.

It's not just the damage output. The game bombards you with supplies -- whether they be hearts, magic jars, or ammunition -- enemies have relatively unimpressive AI, and the level design often spells itself out.

Skyward Sword's "hand-holding" also isn't exactly hand-holding. Fi will sometimes say incredibly obvious things, but that's just it; they're incredibly obvious. They're things you couldn't possibly miss, not the answers to puzzles and the like. Besides, most of the time she has something to say, it's just her offering her intake on the situation at hand, very much like Otacon in MGS4... the only difference being MGS4 has voice acting, so the flow of the game isn't interrupted every single time he has something to say.

Both of these things are certainly annoying in SS, but they're not bonafide hand-holding.

Oh, by the way, Aonuma actually said in an interview that The Wind Waker was designed to be an entry level Zelda game, which basically means it was designed more for the casual audience than the long-time fans.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
As of right now, I have no real concerns for a game I know nothing about. There's nothing to fear until they start showing us questionable or similar things. I just want them to reveal the damn thing already.

I have confidence in Zelda U's success (still haven't met a Zelda game I didn't like), but I suppose there are a few concerns I have.

#1: A "unique" art style we've already seen. An example would be using The Wind Waker's cel-shaded graphics. We already have The Wind Waker HD, so I dearly hope they don't do something like that. I doubt they will, though.
#2: Altering Zelda way too much just for the heck of it. Aonuma's mentioned that he's getting tired of certain conventions in Zelda and plans to change the way Zelda is played in big ways. Hopefully he doesn't take this into mid-life-crisis territory, like turning Zelda into a level-select screen, text adventure, or something completely out of left field just to be different. Again, though, I doubt this will happen.
#3: A 2D game. As I've said before, I like 2D Zelda. Still, we're getting A Link Between Worlds for that, and the Wii U is a golden opportunity to flesh out 3D Zelda.
#4: Overbearing gimmicks. Historically, I like Zelda's "gimmicks," but I also see where they can go wrong (let's face it, Skyward Sword's motion controls were a big turnoff for a lot of people). I suspect I'd still enjoy a "gimmicky" Zelda game, but I can't deny I might occasionally be a little peeved when I want a more simplified gameplay experience and yet I have to turn my bedroom into a jungle gym to get the full experience.
#5: Lack of creativity/lame story. These two kind of go hand-in-hand. Zelda's notorious for not always closing up its plot threads or holes, and I'm really getting tired of that. Let's redouble the efforts of crafting an engaging, detailed Zelda story that doesn't abandon half its threads, eh? I'd also like to see less recycling of old Zelda nuances and more brand new content. Do we really need another Queen Gohma boss ripoff or an obligatory hookshot? I'm all for keeping items like bombs and the bow - that stuff is fun - but reusing "special" Zelda items just 'cause seems kind of forced and lazy to me.

It will be nonlinear, thus killing the story

Aaaaand once again I feel obligated to debate this. Stories can be interesting and fun without being linear.

crippling the puzzles

Puzzles can be fun, devious, and varied without relying on multiple items obtained previously. Zelda's done it before, other games have done it before, we shouldn't worry about it.

ruining the items

Items can also be fun, devious, and varied without being obtained in a linear order. If anything, I see non-linearity as an opening point to explore item usage in unforeseen ways.

and taking us back to the dark ages.

Not necessarily a bad thing if those dark ages were awesome.

The thing is, non-linearity is not superior or inferior to linearity; it's just different. It's like calling apples clearly superior to ham steak or blue clearly superior to red. Both have their pros and cons. You may not prefer non-linearity and hope Zelda U doesn't utilize it, which is fine, but it seems a little extreme to claim it's inherently a bad thing for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom