• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Think We Can Expect Dark Link to Make a Comeback in ALBW?

I was thinking about the themes in A Link Between Worlds, from the return of the Dark World, to the notion of a corrupt Triforce that they hinted at in some of the recent announcements... and it really seems like an ideal time to reintroduce Dark Link. Especially as a focal element.

I've always had something of an aversion to the fan reaction to Dark Link as a lot of people seem to want to make him out to be his own character, when in all his appearances he's been at best sorcery. But I don't mind Dark Link himself and I think he'd fit this game really well, especially if he ended up in something of a focal role as some kind of dark mirror of Link. We haven't heard yet if Link acquires the Moon Pearl to protect himself from transforming in the Dark World, or if perhaps his ability to travel there in the first place this time around is intended to cover that. Perhaps in this game his protection is more imperfect, and instead Dark Link will represent his inner evil come out, or something along those lines? Certainly I think he'll be known as Dark Link this time around (as opposed to Shadow Link) to go along with the Dark World.

Any ideas on how Dark Link might appear in A Link Between Worlds? Do you think he'll appear?

Salem

SICK
As long as Dark Link himself does not speak as well. Also, he doesn't need a deep backstory ether.

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
It would be really cool if he did make an appearance. I like your idea of how he would fit in perfectly. Im not one of those people who can think up possible scenarios for un-released Zelda games... D: T_T I lack imagination xD

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
As long as Dark Link himself does not speak as well. Also, he doesn't need a deep backstory ether.

Actually, since Dark Link technically isn't really Link, he should be able talk. Besides, if the Hero's Shade (who is technically a Link incarnation or in this case more like a Dark Link) can talk so can Dark Link.

Actually, according to TP and SS, Dark Link does need a deep backstory.

Anyways, yes I think we will definitely see Dark Link again. Although, even though he might huge roll in this game as major villain, I doubt he'll be the final villain we face as according that scene in the latest trailer with Sahasrahla's descendant tells Link about Ganon. As we all know when it comes to Zelda games whatever villain is mentioned usually turns out to be the final boss of the game. My theory is that Dark Link will play a role similar to what Ghirahim, Cole, and Zant have played as Dark Link could be trying to revive Ganon thus possibly explaining how Ganon is in LoZ.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dark Link won't make an appearance...more accurately, I have a hunch that Dark Link won't make an appearance at all - not as a cameo miniboss nor as a minor-or-major villain. It's not particularly rooted in anything other than personal thoughts; I mean he hasn't appeared in Skyward Sword which really would've been the perfect place to feature him (alongside the Dark Interlopers but that's neither here nor there). Why would Nintendo include him in ZeldaBLT/ALBW? What purpose would he serve if he were to be in the game?

VitaTempusN92

Dark Link won't make an appearance...more accurately, I have a hunch that Dark Link won't make an appearance at all - not as a cameo miniboss nor as a minor-or-major villain. It's not particularly rooted in anything other than personal thoughts; I mean he hasn't appeared in Skyward Sword which really would've been the perfect place to feature him (alongside the Dark Interlopers but that's neither here nor there). Why would Nintendo include him in ZeldaBLT/ALBW? What purpose would he serve if he were to be in the game?

Dark Link could be trying to revive Ganon thus possibly explaining how Ganon is in LoZ.

Salem

SICK
Actually, since Dark Link technically isn't really Link, he should be able talk. Besides, if the Hero's Shade (who is technically a Link incarnation or in this case more like a Dark Link) can talk so can Dark Link.
Making Hero's Shade the OoT Link is the biggest troll move ever. Link shouldn't talk no matter what.

Actually, according to TP and SS, Dark Link does need a deep backstory.
What are you talking about? If it's the Dark Interlopers backstory thing, then no, that has nothing to do with Dark Link.

Dark Link could be trying to revive Ganon thus possibly explaining how Ganon is in LoZ.
Okay, why would Ganon specifically need Dark Link to revive him? He could have any villain, anybody powerful to help him, why would he need to make a copy of his nemesis? The only reason Dark Link exists is to fight Link, that's all. He doesn't need any flashier backstories or bigger roles.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Making Hero's Shade the OoT Link is the biggest troll move ever. Link shouldn't talk no matter what.
Eh, we all knew Hero's Shade was OoT Link from the beginning. Well, I say "knew" when I mean "really wanted him to be". In that respect, I wouldn't mind Dark Link talking for three reasons:
1) He's a villain. I need to hear him speak...or at least read his text.
2) Link is a heroic, likely humble kind of guy. Dark Link would be incredibly sarcastic and I'd love to get this delivered to me via official dialogue.
3) He IS the opposite of Link, right? Link doesn't have text, Dark Link should. ;p ;)
Okay, why would Ganon specifically need Dark Link to revive him? He could have any villain anybody powerful to help him, why would he need to make a copy of his nemesis? The only reason Dark Link exists is to fight Link, that's all. He doesn't need any flashier backstories or bigger roles.
Right, he doesn't need it. However, it would make him a better villain and maybe players could relate to him?

Salem

SICK
Eh, we all knew Hero's Shade was OoT Link from the beginning. Well, I say "knew" when I mean "really wanted him to be".
I have a feeling he's supposed to be ambiguous but they made him OoT Link because they though that would make him "more epic", me personally, I thought that character would be better of if he's his own character. Not every mysterious character has to turn out to be this character that everyone knew from a previous game.

In that respect, I wouldn't mind Dark Link talking for three reasons:
1) He's a villain. I need to hear him speak...or at least read his text.
2) Link is a heroic, likely humble kind of guy. Dark Link would be incredibly sarcastic and I'd love to get this delivered to me via official dialogue.
3) He IS the opposite of Link, right? Link doesn't have text, Dark Link should. ;p ;)
We had villains that talk before, wouldn't a non-talking main villain make him more special? even if he just smirks and laughs whenever he shows up, that'll be enough.

Right, he doesn't need it. However, it would make him a better villain and maybe players could relate to him?
My point is why dark Link? ANYBODY could be Ganon's right hand man, or Women in case of Twinrova.

Last edited:
I have always really appreciated the idea of dark/shadow Link. That someone would go out of their way to impersonate the Hero of Time as basically a shadow force or demon-like entity is really interesting. To me, that is a sign of respect from the opposition and a concession to the strength of Link as a Hero. However, I do think it may be time to make Link's shadow more than just a mirror image of smoke and magic. If the dark world has become more potent, which is a possibility now that Ganon has been sealed there for a few more centuries, it could be possible that the pearl may not be enough.

If Link's negative emotions or fear about the adventure could be embodied in a Dark Link, I would be really impressed.

VitaTempusN92

What are you talking about? If it's the Dark Interlopers backstory thing, then no that has nothing to do with Dark Link.

Yes it does. Did you not see the three Dark Links in the scene in TP in which Lanayru was talking about the Dark Interlopers? Think about it, out of all Zelda villains why would they Dark Link in that scene? Obviously Dark Link must play a big role in the series. SS further confirms this but very faintly with the scene from the first visit to the sealed grounds where Demise as the Imprisoned clearly places a shadow curse within Link's head. Later in SS, Demise brings up about that curse to Link as tells him that because of the curse, while in the process of Demise becoming Ganondorf, an incarnation of his hatred is born from the curse from within Link's head as Shadow Link who is said to follow Link's and Zelda's kind, more especially Link's kind. This was later disregarded by HH via one of the dumbest remarks I've ever read, the part in the AoL section where they call Shadow Link just some trial glop thing.

Seriously? :facepalm:

Okay, why would Ganon specifically need Dark Link to revive him? He could have any villain anybody powerful to help him, why would he need to make a copy of his nemesis? The only reason Dark Link exists is to fight Link, that's all. He doesn't need any flashier backstories or bigger roles.

:facepalm: Dark Link can be meant do more than just fight Link. Dark Link is supposed to be like an Anti-Link, which like I just said can be meant for more than just fight Link. As an Anti-Link, Dark Link is against all that Link stands for and supports all that Link is against, like Ganon as well as the idea of terrorism upon Hyrule, which in process will eventually effect Link anyways. According to TP and SS (faintly), Dark Link obviously isn't supposed to be just some shadow figure who only fight Link, no, he's supposed be at least one of the leaders of the Dark Interlopers. Dark Link is supposed to be the opposite of Link as in the Villain rather than the Hero. You see, this makes Dark Link the true main antagonist of the series because of Link who is the main protagonist. As we all know, it's the main antagonist's purpose in a franchise to terrorize the world for the sake of ruining the main protagonist's life by either killing/hurting those who he/she cares about, turn them against him/her, or use them as bait. By doing at least one of those things, the main antagonist can at times succeed and bring the main protagonist down into depression by holding that against him/her to destroy his/her character and what he/she stands for as the main antagonist crushes on the main protagonist's confidence. In simple words, the true main antagonist is supposed to be the exact opposite or rather an evil look alike of the main protagonist.

My point is why dark Link? ANYBODY could be Ganon's right hand man, or Women in case of Twinrova).

Twinrova was already used for OoX. Plus, it would be cooler and make more sense with Dark Link due to the Dark Triforce and the Dark World.

We had villains that talk before, wouldn't a non-talking main villain make him more special? even if he just smirks and laughs whenever he shows up, that'll be enough.

Good point. However, Dark Link technically isn't really Link.

Yes, Dark Link will a have an appearance, I guarantee it. At least I hope so for the sake of what was confirmed in TP and SS(faintly).

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
VitaTempusN92 said:
The Hero's Shade isn't an incarnation of the Hero of Time, he is the Hero of Time. An incarnation would refer to that being taking on the form of a physical manifestation or a physical existence so-to-say. I definitely wouldn't say the Hero's Shade is of a physical existence, but more so of a spiritual being that Link connects with due to being related to him in some fashion. He certainly isn't the reborn Hero of Time, more so his spirt, as shown as it seems like only Link can see him and why we are transported to a place that could make reference to the heavens or the inner chambers of Link's mind.

Yes it does. Did you not see the three Dark Links in the scene in TP in which Lanayru was talking about the Dark Interlopers? Think about it, out of all Zelda villains why would they Dark Link in that scene? Obviously Dark Link must play a big role in the series.
Well Dark Link appearing in Twilight Princess was a cameo, much like it was in Spirit Tracks - I wouldn't look too deep into it. The Dark Links are more of reference to the "bad side" of someone, so in reference in that scene - the bad side of Link. People lusted after this power, shown by Link and Ilia, but Link makes it and suddenly turns into a darker form of himself (his dark/bad side). I see that as more of a symbolic scene, the Interlopers take on this appearance to represent the bad, but I would still say this is more of a symbolism to what I mentioned earlier.

VitaTempusN92 said:
SS further confirms this but very faintly with the scene from the first visit to the sealed grounds where Demise as the Imprisoned clearly places a shadow curse within Link's head. Later in SS, Demise brings up about that curse to Link as tells him that because of the curse, while in the process of Demise becoming Ganondorf, an incarnation of his hatred is born from the curse from within Link's head as Shadow Link who is said to follow Link's and Zelda's kind, more especially Link's kind.
I'm not sure what you mean about The Imprisoned placing a curse on Link... Anyway, I see you have connected Demise's Curse to Shadow/Dark Link, which I'm seriously confused about. I actually don't believe that Demise placed a curse but instead was reiterating the balance of power in Hyrule already. The Triforce connects the three holders to one another and they always will be connected in some fashion when a unbalance occurs, as shown multiple times.

I wouldn't be so confused about you stating that it refers to Dark Link, but you didn't provide any evidence, so it just seems as if you are believing what you want to believe in order to back your overall theory up, which is fine, but to make theories believable, they have to have some sort of back bone.

VitaTempusN92 said:
This was later disregarded by HH via one of the dumbest remarks I've ever read, the part in the AoL section where they call Shadow Link just some trial glop thing.
Well Hyrule Historia is canon, and as canon sources are hard to come by in this series, they are valuable and if we are to make good theories then we have to take this information into account.
VitaTempusN92 said:
Dark Link can be meant do more than just fight Link. Dark Link is supposed to be like an Anti-Link, which like I just said can be meant for more than just fight Link. As an Anti-Link, Dark Link is against all that Link stands for and supports all that Link is against, like Ganon as well as the idea of terrorism upon Hyrule, which in process will eventually effect Link anyways. According to TP and SS (faintly), Dark Link obviously isn't supposed to be just some shadow figure who only fight Link, no, he's supposed be at least one of the leaders of the Dark Interlopers. Dark Link is supposed to be the opposite of Link as in the Villain rather than the Hero. You see, this makes Dark Link the true main antagonist of the series because of Link who is the main protagonist.
Well we know very little about the Interlopers, but let's go through what we know; the "Dark Interlopers" as you refered to, well they are actually know more as "Interlopers" - this refers to a person who intrudes or is in a place they are not meant to be. So essentially the word "interloper" is referring them to breaking into the Sacred Realm. The Interlopers are magic-wielders, most probably they are sorcerers, who excel in shadow magic, as why they are referred to as "dark". They wanted the Triforce for unknown reasons but were instead chased across Hyrule and sealed into the-now Twilight Realm.

I find it highly unlikely that the Interlopers have a leader as such, they seemed like individuals as far as I can tell, the figures in that scene were all the same, no stand out figure. Plus Lanayru always refers to them as "they" and "individuals", it's most likely, from this evidence that there was no leader. Let's say Dark Link is related to them, then he got sealed away right? How could he make countless appearances on the Timeline? Zant refers to them as being trapped without no escape, is Dark Link an exception this? It just didn't seem clear in my opinion, but more so a hasty conclusion that you have come to.

Last edited:

VitaTempusN92

The Hero's Shade isn't an incarnation of the Hero of Time, he is the Hero of Time. An incarnation would refer to that being taking on the form of a physical manifestation or a physical existence so-to-say. I definitely wouldn't say the Hero's Shade is of a physical existence, but more so of a spiritual being that Link connects with due to being related to him in some fashion. He certainly isn't the reborn Hero of Time, more so his spirt, as shown as it seems like only Link can see him and why we are transported to a place that could make reference to the heavens or the inner chambers of Link's mind.

Well Dark Link appearing in Twilight Princess was a cameo, much like it was in Spirit Tracks - I wouldn't look too deep into it. The Dark Links are more of reference to the "bad side" of someone, so in reference in that scene - the bad side of Link. People lusted after this power, shown by Link and Ilia, but Link makes it and suddenly turns into a darker form of himself (his dark/bad side). I see that as more of a symbolic scene, the Interlopers take on this appearance to represent the bad, but I would still say this is more of a symbolism to what I mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure what you mean about The Imprisoned placing a curse on Link... Anyway, I see you have connected Demise's Curse to Shadow/Dark Link, which I'm seriously confused about. I actually don't believe that Demise placed a curse but instead was reiterating the balance of power in Hyrule already. The Triforce connects the three holders to one another and they always will be connected in some fashion when a unbalance occurs, as shown multiple times.

I wouldn't be so confused about you stating that it refers to Dark Link, but you didn't provide any evidence, so it just seems as if you are believing what you want to believe in order to back your overall theory up, which is fine, but to make theories believable, they have to have some sort of back bone.

Well Hyrule Historia is canon, and as canon sources are hard to come by in this series, they are valuable and if we are to make good theories then we have to take this information into account.

Well we know very little about the Interlopers, but let's go through what we know; the "Dark Interlopers" as you refered to, well they are actually know more as "Interlopers" - this refers to a person who intrudes or is in a place they are not meant to be. So essentially the word "interloper" is referring them to breaking into the Sacred Realm. The Interlopers are magic-wielders, most probably they are sorcerers, who excel in shadow magic, as why they are referred to as "dark". They wanted the Triforce for unknown reasons but were instead chased across Hyrule and sealed into the-now Twilight Realm.

I find it highly unlikely that the Interlopers have a leader as such, they seemed like individuals as far as I can tell, the figures in that scene were all the same, no stand out figure. Plus Lanayru always refers to them as "they" and "individuals", it's most likely, from this evidence that there was no leader. Let's say Dark Link is related to them, then he got sealed away right? How could he make countless appearances on the Timeline? Zant refers to them as being trapped without no escape, is Dark Link an exception this? It just didn't seem clear in my opinion, but more so a hasty conclusion that you have come to.

*sigh* All I got is I'm done arguing about this stuff, it's your belief not mine, we all have the right to believe what we want. If I choose to believe things my own way, I can, I have the right to do that, all anyone else can do is respect my own belief while they have the right to have their own belief as well as I do and I respect that. If you want to believe by what you said, go ahead, no one is stopping you. So far, all I've been doing in regard of beliefs and theories was only just pointing out my opinions, beliefs, and theories of things, I never wanted any of those opinions, beliefs, and theories to turn into arguments.

This was later disregarded by HH via one of the dumbest remarks I've ever read, the part in the AoL section where they call Shadow Link just some trial glop thing.

Uh, what? Have you ever played AoL or read the story in the manual? In AoL Link is going through trials in the various palaces to get to the Triforce of Courage and awaken the "original" Princess Zelda, Shadow Link WAS just a trial. It fits the narrative perfectly besides, after all the trials Link went through and the skills and powers he gained along the way the final test is a copy of himself. A battle against someone truly his equal. A test of his skills to prove if he is worthy. It's just a copy, not even evil, just a final test he must pass. It's kind of the entire point of the story, the only bad guys in AoL are the ones trying to kill Link in the overworld to revive Ganon.

In OoT there isn't much of a back story, but he is obviously some evil spell, a reflection of Link to battle him. Dark/shadow Link has never had much of a back story because it's not really a character at all, but a spell or test depending on the game.

I realize there is a Dark/Shadow Link in FSA (I think), but I don't know the story there.

Dark Link returning would be cool, but I don't want him to have dialogue or a major role, because he was never meant to originally. He's a test, a classic archetype of fighting oneself to overcome your evil side in a way, it's a tried and true metaphor and I like it that way. That being said, I'm open to him having a bigger role but I'm just afraid it'll come off as bad fanfic material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom