• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wind Waker: Why So Many Haters?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It's a very flawed title. It's unforgivable design when the player is required to do absolutely nothing for extended periods of times.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's a very flawed title. It's unforgivable design when the player is required to do absolutely nothing for extended periods of times.

Like I said in another post in another thread, all that down time can be used for productive matters in the real world! So I wouldn't say that's *too bad*. ;p

I don't hate WW. I don't hate any Zelda games. I just happen to enjoy a lot more games more than I do WW. The graphics have grown on me over the years, but that's not the reason the game ranks so low on my list. The reason I have it near the bottom is because of how tedious the game was to complete. Now with the announcement of WWHD, I'll hopefully be able to enjoy the game to its fullest and maybe it'll rise to a higher spot on my list :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Lacks atmosphere are you CRAZY this game has an amazing atmosphere have you ever sat down to watch the sun rise or set over the ocean its amazing

That's not atmosphere. Atmosphere is created through the environment, through the playable character's surroundings, and the Great Sea just doesn't offer that. It's a very minimalist overworld, providing little more than a bunch of water and silhouettes of islands. I often see people argue that this is because it's, well, a sea, and that this makes it very atmospheric, but there's more to the open sea than just water. There's the potential of dangerous waves, floating debris, thunderstorms (ones in the background that pose no threat do NOT count), and just the possibility of getting lost, which is surprisingly difficult to do in The Wind Waker, probably due to the way-too-easy-to-see island silhouettes. Seriously, you never need to use the telescope to find them, which I was expecting to have to do constantly.

The Wind Waker lacks these sorts of things, which is a shame, because a tiny boat like the King of Red Lions would have been extremely susceptible to such dangers -- but more importantly, the Great Sea lacks proper atmosphere as a result. It's one of the game's largest shortcomings.

Last edited:

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
the wind waker just had a weird feeling that i couldn't shake while playing it (still haven't beaten it because my copy was stolen by my brothers dad). i couldn't put my finger on why i didn't like it as much as i enjoyed OoT and MM at the time, but it was still a good game, very fun to play... i just didn't like it as much, not sure why.

Salem

SICK
Things I dislike about the WW

1-The beginning of the game take too long
2-Sailing, it's too long to get to places, changing the wind direction is needlessly tedious
3-Triforce quest is annoying, although it's mostly due to stupid Tingle
4-too few dungeons
5-Nintendo gallery side quest is more tedious than it should be, only 3 pictures each time, can only give 1 picture to the Nintendo Gallery guy, takes too long to finish the sculptures, the Song of Passing doesn't cut it sometimes, specially when there's nothing else to do at the time.
6-too easy? I dunno, maybe....

Other than that, it's a great game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
You know, one time I actually did make a sandwhich while my boat was set on course. It still wasn't at it's destination when I returned.

I-know-that-feel-bro-tights-620x620.jpg

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I like the atmosphere it brings. It feels awesome when I'm sailing, I love it. The sunset and rain and night and day ALL add to the atmosphere, so don't say "that's not atmosphere". I love the feeling of sailing in the Great Sea and I think it has exactly the proper atmosphere for a Zelda game. That's my opinion and too bad if you don't agree.

Glad to see you're providing actual counterarguments rather than essentially saying "OH, YEAH, WELL... WELL, I DISAGREE WITH YOU, SO, HA!!"

Oh, wait...

Big Octo

=^)
Glad to see you're providing actual counterarguments rather than essentially saying "OH, YEAH, WELL... WELL, I DISAGREE WITH YOU, SO, HA!!"

Oh, wait...

It's a subjective matter, so he isn't required to explain why or why not he feels the Great Sea is atmospheric.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I liked the Wind Waker atmosphere too. The idea of the wide open sea and sailing across the bright and colourful world with all the freedom in the world was soothing and really nice, and was in a direct contrast to what is expected and what other games tend to provide for the player to experience. I've played other games with sailing but they were harsh, realistic depictions of the great sea, with crashing waves smashing up against towering rock walls of islands and shaking your boat dangerously, with up-coming Witcher 3 and AC4 looking to follow such traits, and it was refreshing to see a take on it where the Sea was serene, and peaceful, and calm, and not like how it really is. The novelty wore off sooner than I had hoped, it was relaxing sure but sailing just wasn't engaging enough for me to stay too interested, but the initial moments of sailing and finding new places was very enjoyable! I liked it a lot. I think the concept is fantastic, but it could have been executed better.

As for why so many people hate Wind Waker, I don't really think 'so many people' actually hate it, do they? If they do, I imagine they'd dislike the simplicity of the title, and the sailing did become a bore for many. But, I can't really comment much because I thought Wind Waker was a great adventure, I enjoyed it more than any effort since.

That's not atmosphere. Atmosphere is created through the environment, through the playable character's surroundings, and the Great Sea just doesn't offer that. It's a very minimalist overworld, providing little more than a bunch of water and silhouettes of islands. I often see people argue that this is because it's, well, a sea, and that this makes it very atmospheric, but there's more to the open sea than just water. There's the potential of dangerous waves, floating debris, thunderstorms (ones in the background that pose no threat do NOT count), and just the possibility of getting lost, which is surprisingly difficult to do in The Wind Waker, probably due to the way-too-easy-to-see island silhouettes. Seriously, you never need to use the telescope to find them, which I was expecting to have to do constantly.

The Wind Waker lacks these sorts of things, which is a shame, because a tiny boat like the King of Red Lions would have been extremely susceptible to such dangers -- but more importantly, the Great Sea lacks proper atmosphere as a result. It's one of the game's largest shortcomings.

Your imagination's pretty pitiful if atmosphere has to constantly throw itself in your face, and apparently beat the crap out of you, in order to elicit a response.

I don't think danger and atmosphere are really all that correlated, which you seem to suggest. Just because a thunderstorm isn't dangerous does not mean it isn't atmospheric.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Your imagination's pretty pitiful if atmosphere has to constantly throw itself in your face, and apparently beat the crap out of you, in order to elicit a response.

Oh, silly me, I should have thought to IMAGINE all the things that didn't happen on the Great Sea even though they should have. Slap my forehead, because I need a V8!

I don't think danger and atmosphere are really all that correlated, which you seem to suggest. Just because a thunderstorm isn't dangerous does not mean it isn't atmospheric.

I don't think your thought process has correlated with my post, because my point went soaring over your head. Out on the open sea, you never know what's going to happen. Sailing can be very dangerous, so the fact that there is little to no danger while sailing the Great Sea goes against the atmosphere that SHOULD be provided. I'm not saying there needs to be something happening every single second, because there are also times where sailing the seas is a calm and relaxing experience, but that doesn't absolve the fact that sailing the Great Sea is a gross misinterpretation of what sailing is really like.

People always say, "Oh, the Great Sea is awesome because it feels like you're really sailing!" when it doesn't. Maybe for the first 5 minutes, but after that, it becomes apparent that there's no variety in the travel. It's all one monotonous drag that poses no stimulation whatsoever because it's the exact same ****ing thing every single time.

Take a look at Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. One of its main features is sailing the Caribbean Sea. Its sailing is basically everything The Wind Waker's wasn't. I'm aware the game isn't out yet, but I've seen enough footage of the sailing to know it's very dynamic, ranging from clear skies and relaxing travel, to intense storms with naval combat. This creates a thick atmosphere that's frequently changing, allowing the sailing to feel real. Can you honestly argue that The Wind Waker offers anything remotely close to that?

A day and night cycle is a good thing to have, don't get me wrong, but using that and that alone to say the Great Sea has a lot of atmosphere is just not accurate at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom