• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wind Waker: Why So Many Haters?

I always wonder why does everybody dislike WW because it is not at all a bad game in fact its my favorite, I get the graphics look cartoony but its a video game its not meant to look SUPER real or else they wouldn't be able to have as much fun with dialog and cut scenes

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
WW isn't as hated as it used to be. More people have looked past the cartoony style and started seeing the beauty of the graphics. It's not bashed nearly as much anymore, in fact, alot of people praise it. Now everyone picks on Skyward Sword...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I certainly don't HATE the game, but I also certainly criticize it for the major flaws it has. It's a shame they exist, because the game is otherwise flawlessly designed... meaning if they hadn't existed, The Wind Waker could have potentially been the greatest game ever made.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
TWW just screamed "kiddy" for me, really, and that's why I don't like it too much. From the graphics to (most of) the cinematics, from the total lack of difficulty to the near auto-pilot sessions of sailing...it's all too easy and 'creative'. I mean, that isn't anything BAD (except the copious amounts of sailing ;p - but I don't even care about that tbh), but I prefer to have a lot of difficulty in the games I play. And a batch of "realistic" graphics. And scenarios. ;p

Big Octo

=^)
At it's reveal, everybody was ragging on it for the cartoonish graphics, well, most people. I was one of the few that gave it a chance, a chance well-deserved. When I first played it, I loved it, and it has remained my favorite video game of all time.

Eh, I don't really see too much hate for it anymore. People still have gripes with it, sure, but I haven't really seen anybody hate it. For me, the game is flawless. I know it may not be for others, but it's the perfect game... for me.

Why don't people like sailing I mean come on where's your sense of adventure also I tend to not look at flaws but rather the good things about games you could pick any game and criticize it til it seems bad but in reality its good

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
This was actually the game that introduced me to Zelda ((I didn't understand any of the OoT references :( ). Since then, it has remained as one of the best of the series. But I do believe it had its flaws.

Many hate upon TWW has surprisingly been decreasing, perhaps because people were more upset with SS or other titles, but I think it mostly has to do with the re-release. There is no need to hate when majority of the games flaws have been removed and it is now upgraded.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I love The Wind Waker bucket-loads. It is, however, my least favourite 3D Zelda game. Most notable, for me, it has by far the most forgettable dungeons of them. Yes, the game is awesome; there's nothing in it at all which I hate. Always something to do and find myself playing for hours on end. Liking others more can be expected when the standard of the series is high.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I mean it's awesome and all, but it lacks the challenge, atmosphere, eoic feel, and fun mechanics of OoT and MM. It feels kind like a mutated version of Zelda.

Also, Hyrule, the Triforce, and Ganondorf are all destroyed. WHYYYYYY?!?!?!?

pkfroce

Skelepuns
Being my favorite game of all time, I could go on and on about how amazing this game is. I mean, the sailing gave me a great sense of adventure, the music makes me feel epic, and the story really makes you feel like a real hero. Going on this huge adventure to save your sister who was kidnapped on your birthday of all days. And even though you become a legendary hero, you retain the same fun loving island kid you started as. Everything about it made me want to play through it over and over again.

I honestly don't know why people bashed on the graphics. I thought it was unique and pretty good looking. It was cartoony yeah, but that added a nice touch to me.

All in all I really love this game and I agree that not everyone hates it. However, for those who don't like it much, I recommend playing it again and looking for the points that i have stated here. But it's your opinion I guess. If you like it then you like it.

I mean it's awesome and all, but it lacks the challenge, atmosphere, eoic feel, and fun mechanics of OoT and MM. It feels kind like a mutated version of Zelda.

Also, Hyrule, the Triforce, and Ganondorf are all destroyed. WHYYYYYY?!?!?!?
Lacks atmosphere are you CRAZY this game has an amazing atmosphere have you ever sat down to watch the sun rise or set over the ocean its amazing

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Lacks atmosphere are you CRAZY this game has an amazing atmosphere have you ever sat down to watch the sun rise or set over the ocean its amazing

The sun rising is nothing. The more important question is, "have you ever had the sea go from night/day to rainy?" because THAT is very mood-setting. Not to mention those truly gross Peahats. Those legitimately scared the mess out of me when I was a kid and sent chills down my spine two days ago. o_O

T

TheLastSage

IMO, the visual presentation and the story of WW are arguably the greatest in the series! Unfortunately, the game does have several glaring flaws including its difficulty level(or lack there of), excruciating triforce quest, lack of dungeons when compared to games such as OOT and TP, and even dungeon design, and the lack of meaningful content in its expansive ocean overworld. Nevertheless, in the areas it excels (art style, storytelling) it is truly breathtaking and for that reason it is still my second favorite game in the series behind OOT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom