• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Djinn

and Tonic
Well I was trying out the pokemon display again today to see how well it works out when only collections and not forum modifications are shown. I have addressed the space taken up a number of times in the past by suggesting we install a couple add-ons that collapse the postbit display and leave a button you can press to show them, or a tabs system that you can click on a thingy that shows what someone has purchased. Still trying to get that installed so the collections can be displayed. It might give some more emphasis to actually want to buy them if they can be shown. But the number shown can be set to 1, although it only shows the latest purchase.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Not sure if this is possible but what if we had multiway Visitor Messages? I think it'd be cool to VM HoT, JC, and McRiz all at the same time :)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Well I was trying out the pokemon display again today to see how well it works out when only collections and not forum modifications are shown. I have addressed the space taken up a number of times in the past by suggesting we install a couple add-ons that collapse the postbit display and leave a button you can press to show them, or a tabs system that you can click on a thingy that shows what someone has purchased. Still trying to get that installed so the collections can be displayed. It might give some more emphasis to actually want to buy them if they can be shown. But the number shown can be set to 1, although it only shows the latest purchase.
Following up on making them smaller, I think we should use smaller sprites in the postbit, like the ones from the party screen:

Party_level_10.png

jk I mean these ones:
001.png
- should they be animated or not?
001.gif

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
I'd like to suggest that the Stalker Goggles be renamed the Lens of Truth, because it would both seem more appropriate and more user friendly in my opinion, especially so considering this site is partially leaned towards everything related to The Legend Zelda and that like the Stalker Goggles the Lens of Truth can be used to show people that are invisible.

2vcdued.png

Here's the icon you could use for it in the shop even, if you'd like me to make it smaller I could, of course if you have something else in mind for an icon to use for it then you can just use whatever you want though.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Just something that will make life a lot easier. Allow SB archive access to all members, not just ranked members.

I personally can and will lose the thread of the SB on occasion, and sometimes i wish i could go back to find a humorous or useful conversation.

If you wish, impose some kind of post-based limit, like 500 posts minimum.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Just something that will make life a lot easier. Allow SB archive access to all members, not just ranked members.

I agree and disagree with this. On one hand, it's for convenience. On the other, SB archive access should be something that causes you to try for some kind of rank. The easiest one to achieve is Wiki Contributor. Or you could go write an Article. Or pray to God that you become HK. There are so many ranks out there that, easy or hard, are achievable and you are rewarded for achieving them.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan

I personally can and will lose the thread of the SB on occasion, and sometimes i wish i could go back to find a humorous or useful conversation.

If you wish, impose some kind of post-based limit, like 500 posts minimum.

I disagree. I can understand where you're coming from, but the archives are designed for members who have achieved a rank on the DGN forums, not members who can (assuming your proposed limit would be enforced) easily spam the General Discussion 500 times.

I agree and disagree with this. On one hand, it's for convenience. On the other, SB archive access should be something that causes you to try for some kind of rank. The easiest one to achieve is Wiki Contributor. Or you could go write an Article. Or pray to God that you become HK. There are so many ranks out there that, easy or hard, are achievable and you are rewarded for achieving them.

I think that making people simply strive for ranks is a stupid idea. I think that the concept of ranks here is overblown enough as it is, something like this just intensifies that. Besides, people already post to obtain the shoutbox in the first place, so this is just another silly trial for something that is simply a basic (albeit useful) feature in the first place.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I think that making people simply strive for ranks is a stupid idea. I think that the concept of ranks here is overblown enough as it is, something like this just intensifies that. Besides, people already post to obtain the shoutbox in the first place, so this is just another silly trial for something that is simply a basic (albeit useful) feature in the first place.

It's not hard for anyone to obtain a rank, and it's not like we're forcing people to get ranks either. If people want to unlock certain features of the forums, then they should put in the extra work to get a rank. And like I said, it'd be very easy for almost anyone to spam the General Discussion/General Entertainment sections of the forum in order to gain access to the archives, and even the Shoutbox.

It's not hard for anyone to obtain a rank, and it's not like we're forcing people to get ranks either. If people want to unlock certain features of the forums, then they should put in the extra work to get a rank. And like I said, it'd be very easy for almost anyone to spam the General Discussion/General Entertainment sections of the forum in order to gain access to the archives, and even the Shoutbox.

That wasn't my point. Simply I just disagree with the concept of striving for ranks to get a feature like this, as I don't see the point. People will post if they enjoy posting and want to, these 'incentives' or not.

I never said, nor implied, that I support that. It might indeed lead to people spamming... but, there's already a similar thing in place: 100 posts to get shoutbox. Same principle, and the shoutbox is talked about in posts, so any argument that "well they don't know it's there" is moot.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
To be honest I've seen members with a rank spamming the General Discussion section on a regular base.

I agree with Kitsu though. Although it is not that hard to obtain a rank it is not a good reason to get a rank only to gain access to the forum special features. A rank should be obtained out of the desire to contribute and not to get access to special features

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I dunno how well this'd sit with anyone, but would it be possible to implement a level system (and a lite RPG system) on these boards?

Dan

Following up on making them smaller, I think we should use smaller sprites in the postbit, like the ones from the party screen:

Party_level_10.png

jk I mean these ones:
001.png
- should they be animated or not?
001.gif

Animated, purely because that bulbasaur looks awesome head bobbing, but seriously they do look better animated.

Djinn

and Tonic
I dunno how well this'd sit with anyone, but would it be possible to implement a level system (and a lite RPG system) on these boards?

Do you mean something like an activity awards type system? One of those things that gives so many points for things like postcount, amount of time spent on the forum etc. Or something along the lines of the old vb3 forum rpg that had a combat and item system?

There is somewhat of a ranking system, it could be modified to include more rpg class rank titles instead of the typical terms used
vBActivity & Awards - DragonByte Tech | vBulletin Mods & Addons

The rpg one is something I have looked for in the past but so far there is really no update of that specific hack for vb4 from what I can find. Although I have come across this and suggested it a couple times.
Forumon RPG - DragonByte Tech | vBulletin Mods & Addons

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom