• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jack of All Trades or Master of One?

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Apologies if there has been a thread like this before, but a quick search didn't come up with anything.

I'm curious, ZDers. Would you rather be moderately good at a lot of different skills? Or would you rather be an expert in one?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As someone who is decent at only one thing, I'd prefer to be a JoAT. Master of One is just too restricting, which is more important because you could talk only exclusively about the skill you have expertise in. I'd like to join in conversations in multiple things. :)

Big Octo

=^)
I enjoy knowing a little bit about everything, so I'd rather be a Jack of All Trades Rather than a Master of One. Naturally, I would be a bit better at some things than others, but knowing at least something in every field ought to be helpful.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
My preference would be to be a Jack-of-all-trades. I think having exceptional skill in everything is good because you would get more "flavor" in life. You could do and try more than one thing. I actually am somewhat of a Jack-of-all-trades, but not really. :)

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
In jobs today, being an expert at solely one thing is never a good thing. Being moderately good at various things proves to be useful in many -- if not all professions. People look for those who are well versed in their field based on many, many aspects that they wouldn't have if they were merely a Master of One. In all, I'd rather be a JoAT than a Master of One.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In jobs today, being an expert at solely one thing is never a good thing. Being moderately good at various things proves to be useful in many -- if not all professions. People look for those who are well versed in their field based on many, many aspects that they wouldn't have if they were merely a Master of One. In all, I'd rather be a JoAT than a Master of One.

Sweg.

You got any examples of these jobs? The jobs that I know of require practically one train of thought and nothing else. It's not like there are many jobs out there (that I know of) which require some knowledge of EEing in addition to a Biologist's encyclopedia. :I

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Sweg.

You got any examples of these jobs? The jobs that I know of require practically one train of thought and nothing else. It's not like there are many jobs out there (that I know of) which require some knowledge of EEing in addition to a Biologist's encyclopedia. :I

Sure. Police Officers and Firefighters not only need to know how to respond to emergency criminal/fire situations, they also need to know concepts such as first aid. Police officers, especially detectives, need to know how to work from a desk, so typing skills come in handy. They need social skills to respond to 911 calls. Many medical professions require knowledge in many things. For example, a dentist may need to know more than just the anatomy of the mouth, but also some basic biology, or maybe even physics. If someone is only a master of one specific subject, then succeeding proves to be more of a challenge; whereas, someone who is well versed in many subjects is more likely to succeed more easily.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmmm it is good to have some skills in everything than being just speciallized and super skilled in one. If you can manage to expand your skills your chances in general will improve. So JoaT here

I'd prefer to be a Master of One. I'd rather be known as the guy who's the best as something than someone who's mediocre at everything.

Magatha

Magatha
I consider myself to be sort of a Jack of all trades because I have a bunch of different hobbies and skills.
I may be able to sculpt, sew, sketch, among other things, but would not consider myself quite a master at any of them just yet.

I would love to become a master at sculpting, and I am working on it, but I think it is both good and fun to have a wide variety of skills.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
My most valuable strength is to be able to learn new things quickly. I'll take flexibility over depth.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I'd love to be master of one trade, but in reality I am more of a jack of all trades. I've always been okay at everything, and only a little bit better than anyone else at maybe one or two things in my life. That's probably why I wish I could be really good at just one thing. I guess I'd like to be recognised as actually talented or good at something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom