• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Unpopular Opinions About Popular Games

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
A more recent one I hold is that Super Mario Sunshine is a great game. Not sure where it gets the hate tbh.

I agree, Sunshine is an amazing game. I have no idea where the hate comes from, and, in my opinion, I think it's better than Super Mario 64.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I agree, Sunshine is an amazing game. I have no idea where the hate comes from, and, in my opinion, I think it's better than Super Mario 64.

Whoaaa back up there mate. I wouldn't dare call it better than 64. ;p
But yeah, it's still a pretty great game. I can understand negativities arising due to F.L.U.D.D - I hate that thing myself - but the fluddless levels are absolutely gorgeous and plentiful to boot!

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Thread was too long and I didn't read it. What are you gonna do about it? If I share an unpopular opinion that has already been posted then rejoice for we are brothers in thought. Anyway, here goes:

(The following opinions are those held by the author and are not shared by Zelda Dungeon or its affliliates. If you have an issue with any of these opinions and would like more information then maybe you should care less about what separates us and more about what bonds us, like the fact we both require oxygen or that one day no one will ever remember we existed. Or ask me about it, I don't mind answering polite inquiry.)

- Half-Life 2 is a bad game. Not an average game, not an "it was alright" game, a bad game.
- Ocarina of Time is one of the weakest Zelda games in the series.
- Resident Evil 6 was the best game released in 2012 and other action games should draw inspiration from it.
- Suda51 is a talentless individual and has never made a single game worth playing in his career.
- Mega Drive is an infinitely better name than Genesis for the Sega console.
- Lylat Wars is an infinitely better name than Star Fox 64.
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a good game that was held back by the tagging on of an outdated brand. The same concept and gameplay would have been much better received if it was a Lego game or if it was a new IP altogether.
- Shigeru Miyamoto is long past his sell-by and should retire for the good of Nintendo.

That's all I can think of for now.

Goodnight, and God bless.

ILU

i luv u
The way I react to unpopular opinions is the same way I react to popular opinions. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but stating them as fact tends to bother me whether or not I agree. If the topic is something that warrants discussion, I will address the unpopular opinion with my own views and try to understand how the other person came to develop their opinion.

There have been a few times where my opinion changed based on what I learned from others. I think the best example of this for me would be how I feel about Majora's Mask. Originally, I didn't like it that much. I was too young to understand the various themes, and I couldn't comprehend how important visuals are in relation to atmosphere, or how story could be developed through side events. My dad pointed out a lot to me as well as older friends and even some artists. The more I learned about others' opinions and the older I got, I began to appreciate it more. Now, I think it's among the greatest stories ever created for a video game, but I still feel like the overall gameplay is pretty boring.

Cfrock's opinion in the previous post says he thinks Ocarina of Time is one of the weakest Zelda installments. I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't agree, either. I think it's a balanced middle-man game, neither on the stronger or weaker end of the Zelda spectrum. I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion or a popular one, since most fans tend to either claim it's among the best or among the worst and rarely in the middle.

Cfrock also thinks RE6 was a good action game, where I feel like it's probably one of, if not THE, worst games I've ever played. With opinions like these though, I think it's obvious that a lot of it has to do with personal taste (and unfairly high standards on my part... I'm almost as obsessed with RE as I am with Zelda), so bothering to discuss them further would likely result in an "agree to disagree" end of discussion. At the same time, I don't think either of our opinions are unpopular since RE6 seems to be split down the middle by the RE community.

(not picking on you, Cfrock. I just didn't want to search back through the pages for more example. Lazilu.)

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I'm not sure if this counts, but to me, Skyward Sword was an amazing game that I really enjoyed. But this next one definitely counts...

I *gulps* Please don't kill me guys... I, uh, don't actually really like A Link To The Past that much. I mean, I certainly don't hate it or anything and I recognize that it's a good game... It's just... I just never got into it, I don't really know why. Now before you all get out your pitchforks just keep in mind that it's only my opinion and if you like it then... super :yes:, it's just not for me.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I prefer Twilight Princess on Wii over GCN. I'm not going to say which is "superior", but the 16:9 display, higher resolution (try it on Wii U ;)) and easy aiming make it my way to go.

Every Zelda has had flawless controls, including SS and the DS titles. They're easy to pick up and master. For me, the toughest thing about any scheme is when switching between games on the same consoles. For instance, rolling requires a different input in PH (circles) and ST (double tap), and in TP, the B button uses the clawshot and the A button puts it away when being used, but in SS, those inputs are swapped. Dang confusing.

Mario Kart 64 is terrible. Matter of fact, I don't think Mario Kart was a notable series until Mario Kart DS. That one truly shines. Super Mario Kart, Super Circuit and Double Dash are all average games, but Mario Kart 64 in particular is immensely overrated. I have heavy nostalgia for this game, yet it fails to impress at all.

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Mario Kart 64 is terrible

Yes, I agree completely. Well, maybe not completely but certainly to a large degree. Mario Kart 64 has terrible handling, when you get hit you spin out for far too long, the drift is a headache and difficult to control, Red Shells aways take the shortest possible path which means most of them deliberately shoot directly at solid walls making them useless unless your target is right in front of you, it introduced the Blue Shell to Mario Kart, there was no Koopa Troopa, the tracks were all too long (they are often scaled down as part of the Retro Cups), it uses the dreadful results system that only awards points to the first four positions, and it has the worst Rainbow Road in series history.

That said, it is still an enjoyable game to play. Some of the race tracks are fun, if they are too long, like Toad's Turnpike and Yoshi Valley, and with friends it's always a treat, but just because it's enjoyable doesn't mean it's good. Watching the Street Fighter movie is enjoyable. Mario Kart 64 enjoys what I call the OoT Effect: it is remembered as being much better than it truly ever was by 20-something's riding a wave of 'I-miss-the-90s' nostalgia. Mario Kart 64 is outclassed by every other Mario Kart game save, arguably, the original.

Also, pet peeve of mine, whenever people make a joke about how you always fall off Rainbow Road they almost always accompany it with an image of the N64 Rainbow Road which is the only Rainbow Road to have guard rails along the entire length of it. The only way to fall off that track is to get hit by something while right on the edge and bounce over, and even that happens rarely. Maybe I shouldn't let things like that bug me.

Goodnight, and God bless.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
You were just able to take one sentence of my text and expand it to what are exactly my thoughts, no joke. Thank you.

Koopa Troopa Beach and this iteration of Bowser's Castle are among my favourite tracks in the series, but the truly good ones are few and far between. The game is enjoyable with mates for all the wrong reasons, based on the fact of how primitive it is. The virtual console edition has a horrible delay when using the gamecube controller, I swear...

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
When I first hear an unpopular opinion about a popular game, the first thing I usually do is go "...HUH?!" (assuming I also don't hold that opinion) then ask why they think like that. I'm almost always respectful of them (unless they think FFXIII or Zelda 2 are good games, then I just go ballistic on them...)

As for an unpopular opinion of mine: I hate the Elder Scrolls games, and really any games by Bethesda. TES are really, really boring for me and they seem completely aimless. As far as Bethesda goes, let's just say I've noticed far more demonic themes in all their games than I thought possible, enough to make me seriously wonder if the guys that work there are a bunch of Satanists.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I recently hold the opinion that Paper Mario Sticker Star isn't a bad game at all, just different for the sake of being different. I mean, sure, the overabundance of stickers could use some work...but it still has that Paper Mario charm that fans knew and loved. The story could use some work I admit, but most video game stories could use work. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom