• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild More Aggressive Enemies

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think that ZeldaU would be the perfect venue for more aggressive enemies. In general, foes in MODERN Zelda don't keep you on your toes, since they sport AI that is somewhat similar to the game "Redlight Greenlight" where they stop a function, go a function, stop that function and let another function go. However I've been playing other games where foes are typically in your face relentlessly; kind of like old school Zelda but with a variety of attacks rather than merely dealing damage on contact.

What do y'all think.

Zelda-Rocks

The King of all Rocks
That's a grand idea. Enemies do not attack enough. Especially bosses. There are times when i'm fighting Ghirahim and he just stands there, waiting for me to attack him. And i'm not talking about the first battle. Even Demise was not very aggresive, though he was probably the most active enemy in the game.

Yeah I agree, the enemies and bosses need to be way more aggressive. The over-world monsters need to attack a lot and actually deal some good damage so you have to run or fight them. They also need to make the new monsters harder to defeat, like a small puzzle aspect to fighting them.

ILU

i luv u
More aggros would be nice, but they probably won't make much of a difference unless they have different attack types. Hordes are usually fun, but the spin attack lets you muscle your way out, which makes groups of enemies hardly seem intimidating.

Remember those annoying little creatures in MM and TWW that stick to you? Those suckers were good additions. Throw them in a dungeon with some aggros and suddenly getting free FAST is important.

Better AI is always... Well, better. So more aggressive enemies with better AI would be nice. I like where Nintendo was going with Lizalfos in SS, and I think they could make some big improvements there.

Of course, not all aggro types should be the same. The way bokoblins alert each other is very cool, so I'd like to see that return. I'd also like to see some variety in the way they react... Maybe some types would have better hearing than others or be less aggressive and simply more territorial. *shrug*

More darknuts.

Big Octo

=^)
I would particularly enjoy this.

In past games, I was not too fond with the way enemies were handled. To me, they felt like puzzles with legs rather than actual threats. They felt like an annoyance rather than something that potentially and easily kill me. Destroying them did nit feel accomplishint, nor did it subdue the annoyance factor.

Personally, I felt this "puzzle on legs" thing was quite prominent in Skyward Sword. The majority of enemies required you to perform predise manuevers to destroy them. However, the "puzzles" with enemies were far too simple for their own worth. Dealing with enemies was never the experience I had hopes it to be.

When Zelda U rolls around, I hope there will be more bloodthirsty enemies that want to tear me limb from limb. I want an agressive AI rather than one thant wants me to solve its puzzles. I want to fight enemies that are actually dangerous.

I most certainly want more-aggressive enemies. I've done a bit of thinking on this, and upon recently playing through DmC: Devil May Cry, I have some observations.

Zelda should be exactly like DmC: Devil May Cry!

No. I'm kidding. It's a good game, but the two are separate. That said, I noticed something about DmC's combat that I think Zelda could draw inspiration from. Zelda need not be a huge, glorified brawl that flies in the face of every physics law ever made (which is arguably what makes Devil May Cry awesome), but think about the combo variety and move selection. In DmC, by jamming the sword button repeatedly, you get a basic four-move combo. Simple, right? By hitting it twice, waiting a moment, then pressing it again, though, you can unleash a spinning move to clear the enemies around you. If you hold the sword button, you can charge up energy waves to launch at enemies. What technique you'll use next is basically decided on a split-second reflex.

Zelda could use the same sort of intuition in its combat. Again, Link doesn't need to double-jump or defy physics any more than he normally does when pushing blocks off of edges, but Devil May Cry's variety is noteworthy. What if a simple button press turned a strike into a parry? What if the timing of your button presses could create moves like feints or dodges? The combat system could become much deeper. This is just a starting point, not a "Zelda should directly rip off Devil May Cry's fighting style!" I feel I need to emphasize that pretty heavily.

Another thing I'd like to see is a more in-depth dodging system. In 3D Zelda, you get sidestepping, rolling, side-jumping, and back-flipping. This works for the current combat system (which we are trying to change, are we not?), but you open up more possibilities for more engaging bosses and enemies with more evasion options. In modern Zelda, you have either too simple (walking to the side) or too extreme (jumping to the side). What about a simple turn to the side to let an attack pass? How about ducking under a boss's humongous sword, then lunging in for the kill? Or rolling to the side in addition to being able to walk, lean, and jump in that direction? Real combat is often about subtlety, and Zelda taking this into consideration could probably allow for enemies and bosses to become things of legend. Besides, how many other games use that in-depth approach to combat? If Aonuma truly wants to make Zelda unique in everything, this is a good place to start.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
Make the enemies more aggressive and attack more? That could really work. Add more strategy to fighting rather than button mashing. SS was better at this in the Hero Quest, but if the whole game was like it then that would be cool. That brings up the whole 'Difficulty Select' thing for Zelda games.

I've been playing God of War a lot lately, and the enemies actually feel aggressive and they attack A LOT. It requires a lot of dodging and blocking and it feels great to rack up a massive combo. Despite these powerful enemies, you still feel more powerful than them. It's a perfect balance and it's something that I'd like to see in Zelda.

It would be nice to see more aggressive enemies in the Zelda series, Skyward Sword was a step in the wrong direction in this regard, but I'm really hoping to see more enemies along the lines of Ocarina of Time's Stalfos and Twilight Princess's Darknuts.

I feel the main issue Nintendo would have against more offense-based enemies would be the increase in difficulty that goes along with it. Zelda games are geared towards a younger audience, hence the E rating on most of the titles. From Nintendo's perspective, an increase in difficulty could alienate their target audience.

Enemies that focus more on attacking are also more fun to fight, I can't really speak for the rest of the fanbase, but enemies in the most recent Zelda title (Skyward Sword) seemed little more than puzzles with faces, walk up to them, see if they are blocking vertically or horizontally, and then move your hand in that direction, as enemies in that title seemed to almost never try and actually deal damage, they were not even something to be threatened by, just an obstacle. Making Enemies more aggressive would make the game faster paced, and less tedious.

Z-targeting, combined with sidehops, backflips, and the various other maneuvers Link is capable of would allow for some very exciting combat, and I would like to see the Wii U iteration of the series take advantage of that.

Storm Fox

Natsu Dragneel
heres one head to head
black-cat-2.jpg

Attachments

• black-cat-2.jpg
    black-cat-2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
Despite these powerful enemies, you still feel more powerful than them. It's a perfect balance and it's something that I'd like to see in Zelda.

I'm the opposite I want to feel like I'm less powerful, like it's almost impossible to beat the enemy so that once I finally do I have a sense of accomplishment. I really don't want to feel like I'm over powered.

@ Pirgha the increased difficulty will most certainly not alienate the target audience, I know loads of kids in the target age group and all of them say that the enemies aren't hard enough, apart from those 12 year old COD trolls.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Totally agree. Not necessarily more aggressive AI, but smarter AI in enemies would be so much nicer. Combat with general enemies, bar perhaps the very first time you ever fought them, is quite monotonous and dull, there's no real engaging things. The ol' rinse and repeat method of defeating enemies isn't as fun. I'd just want Zelda combat to be more engaging. The Boss fights do it fine, but everything in-between, meh.

I think a more varied combat would be the better choice, with more aggressive, clever AI following. More difficulty would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom