• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fairy Type

Skittles

Rainbows!
Actually, considering where the game is taking place (in a copy of France/Europe) introducing the Fairy Type in this generation actually makes quite a bit of sense from that perspective. Fairies aren't all good (they were actually quite evil or had blue and orange morality in mythology oftentimes) and Dragons were not all evil. Really I can understand making the fairies strong against dragons because they're both from mythology...perhaps the same will be true for Dragons...wouldn't it be interesting if they were strong against each other? xD

Furthermore, I really hope that the Fairy type is weak against steel and poison types. These are very logical weaknesses. Considering that fairies were weak against iron and they're often related to nature. Poison kills nature and a lot of Pokemon in that typing seem anti-natural. So, giving Fairies these weaknesses would make a lot of sense and would finally make poison types USEFUL. Can you imagine that, useful Weezing? xD

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Honestly I'm not all that thrilled about the new typing. I'll have to wait and see what Gamefreak does with it, but so far it seems to be throwing a wrench into an well-oiled machine. They had all of the strengths and weaknesses laid out so that, while on the onset there were some types that were obviously better than others (Dragon) they could still be cut down and countered quite effectively. I've made it known that I thought the 17-type system was absolutely perfect for developing interesting meta-strategies since it's a bit off-kilter. So far (again, as of this typing we only know of one strength) it seems the entire purpose of Fairies is just to cut Dragons down to size.

Who knows, maybe throughout the years Gamefreak has noticed certain dominant strategies come out in the metagame and aim to corect that. Heck, I've seen far too many online matches where the other guy has a full team of legendary Dragon types that I can barely scratch because I forgot to teach one on my team Ice Beam. Sooooooooo maybe having these Eldrich monsters be murdered by a widdle faiwy could be pretty funny in its own way. Still, until further information comes out I'm remaining highly skeptical.

Furthermore, I'm in agreement with Skittles that these new Fairy types should be weak to Steel and Poison. It makes sense, fairies are creatures highly in-tune with nature, so they'd be weak to forces of technology and industry like what a lot of Steel and Poison types are. Although it WOULD make it kinda weird that my Seviper would stand a chance against Gerdevoir, but whatever. (I'm still really mad they did that; I knew this kind of thing was gonna hafta happen if they added a new type, but come on, WHY GARDEVOIR? ALL MY NERD RAGE!!!@!@!!@!@$@!)

Fig

The Altruist
Fairy Type? What happened to Light and Sound? :xd:

But in all seriousness, I was astonished (pun intended) when the Fairy Type was introduced. I don't hate it like most fans because they are hipsters and what not, but I do hope that there will be a fair weakness to the new type. I'm really hoping that they are weak to Poison, just so I finally use my Gengar Shadow and finally have some STAB on something that is not a Grass Type. Also, I like how the Fairy Type is supposedly to weaken Dragon Types. That's good especially since I always fight against people who only use Dragons. Granted, I only use 1 Dragon Type which is Hydriegon, but at least I balance my team. But then my friends say I can't use Dragons against them. I'm always like "But it is just 1 Dragon!" and then they reply "You're cheating if you use Dragons". And then it makes upset when I tell them what they use in WiFi battles and they say "Oh, I use Dragons because they are so good!". And then I become sad because they don't want me to play a single Dragon in my team.

Anyways, I am very excited to see the new Type in action. I do hope that GameFreak will do some great things with the Fairy Type in the upcoming metagame.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Fairy Type? What happened to Light and Sound? :xd:

But in all seriousness, I was astonished (pun intended) when the Fairy Type was introduced. I don't hate it like most fans because they are hipsters and what not, but I do hope that there will be a fair weakness to the new type. I'm really hoping that they are weak to Poison, just so I finally use my Gengar Shadow and finally have some STAB on something that is not a Grass Type. Also, I like how the Fairy Type is supposedly to weaken Dragon Types. That's good especially since I always fight against people who only use Dragons. Granted, I only use 1 Dragon Type which is Hydriegon, but at least I balance my team. But then my friends say I can't use Dragons against them. I'm always like "But it is just 1 Dragon!" and then they reply "You're cheating if you use Dragons". And then it makes upset when I tell them what they use in WiFi battles and they say "Oh, I use Dragons because they are so good!". And then I become sad because they don't want me to play a single Dragon in my team.

Anyways, I am very excited to see the new Type in action. I do hope that GameFreak will do some great things with the Fairy Type in the upcoming metagame.

Pack an Ice and Fariy type now or put ice beam on every thing ;)

patrickthe8

The Last Onion Knight
I support the fairy type, mostly because it counters dragon ^.^
But I like all the fairy types so far (the new ones look good and I already love Jigglypuff/Gardevoir),
and I think that it`s a good idea.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I feel like it's something that people overreact about. I mean, so what if it seems like there are few Pokemon that would fit this type? I mean, pretend the Dragon type was introduced in this generation, I think people would act the same way. I feel like people should roll with it and make complaints where complaints are due, not wherever he heck they want.

Furthermore, I really hope that the Fairy type is weak against steel and poison types. These are very logical weaknesses. Considering that fairies were weak against iron and they're often related to nature. Poison kills nature and a lot of Pokemon in that typing seem anti-natural. So, giving Fairies these weaknesses would make a lot of sense and would finally make poison types USEFUL. Can you imagine that, useful Weezing? xD

Actually, its already been confirmed that they will be weak against steel and poison. Fairy-type - Pokémon X & Y - Marriland

Actually, its already been confirmed that they will be weak against steel and poison. Fairy-type - Pokémon X & Y - Marriland

Um, if you are trying to source what you said, that article isn't the best thing for that. XD It says it HINTS that Fairy-type Pokémon are going to be weak to Steel- and Poison-type attacks. And I don't think hints is confirmed. . .

Fairy-type Pokémon themselves have been hinted as being weak to Steel- and Poison-type attacks.

Anywho, I really like the Fairy-type Pokémon so far and I can't wait to see more revealed Pokémon of the type (If there even is going to be more Pokémon). ^^

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Ok I just checked Bulbapedia a while ago, and since that source is taken to be credible, I'll update on strengths and weaknesses.

Offensively, Fairy types are strong against Fighting, Dragon, and Dark types, and weak to Fire, Poison, and Steel types.
Defensively, Fairy types strong against Fighting, Bug, and Dark types, weak against Poison and Steel types, and completely immune to Dragon types.

Some of these make sense to me, others don't.We already knew the first goal of Fairies was to cut the Dragons down to size, which explains the huge advantage in their favor. The advantage against Dark types makes sense, since in much mythology fairies are thought to be good and defend against the forces of evil. But on the flip side the advantage against Fighting type also makes sense, given fairies are also seen as tricksters, and melee attacks don't usually do much good against mythological fairies. As I and others have theorized, Fairies are in fact weak to Poison and Steel, given those two types' affinity towards the anti-natural.

What I don't get are the properties against Bug and Fire types. What would cause fairies to be strong defensively against Bugs but only normally effective against them offensively? Or what would cause them to be weak offensively against Fire but normally effective defensively? Can someone help me out here? Cuz this part seems kinda random to me.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I'm definitely interested to see how this new type will play out. I kind of like the idea of a Fairy type. I think it will be a nice addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom