• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are Video Games Art?

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I watched this video and it made me really think about this question...

[video=youtube;0mVFgwFfKfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mVFgwFfKfw[/video]

My opinion is yes, video games are art. They contain music, backstory, graphics, and overall stunning visuals (most of the time). They are visually, mentally, and emotionally stimulating. Not all of them, but definitely the games I've played.

But I wanna hear your guys' opinions:

Are video games an art form? Or are they merely forms of escapism and nothing more?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
They art, an escapist's dream, and more. That's all I have to say really.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
art
/ärt/
Noun
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
Works produced by such skill and imagination.
I would say by this definition yes they are any one who says other wise is going up to face off against a dictionary.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
art
/ärt/
Noun
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
Works produced by such skill and imagination.
I would say by this definition yes they are any one who says other wise is going up to face off against a dictionary.

Watch the video at all?

I suppose I should have clarified a bit. They are obviously art. But are they high art? Will they be remembered? Are they timeless? Will they leave an impact on society in years to come?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I'm too lazy to watch the video, but I do consider video games a part of graphical design and creation, which is something that I consider artistic. So in my own belief, yes I do count video games as a form of art.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Watch the video at all?

I suppose I should have clarified a bit. They are obviously art. But are they high art? Will they be remembered? Are they timeless? Will they leave an impact on society in years to come?
Yes Ive seen the video before (or maybe it was some other person) and I cant say that they would be timeless. Most famous peaces of art become famous after the person dies but while alive people hate it. The best answer I have is I wont be around to find out.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I don't want games to be art. I suppose they could be, but that would basically make them movies. Games are limited because they are long, and they require large amount of effort on the part of he observer. You don't have to push buttons at high speeds for twenty hours to enjoy a tv show. THat's assuming people can get over the concept Anyway, games should remain just that, games. Things for people to get together and play and try to destroy each other on. It's an art of entertainment similar to sports. It won't win over the classy, but it can be amazing within its challenging self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom