• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Animation Software

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I have never used it before, but Blender is said to be excellent and free software.

Blender can do custom modelling and animations, so it really is quite a good program. My friends have been using it, and they say it's great!

I can't think of any others right now, but Blender's free, so I say go for it!

Beeker

Wild Card
I'd say it depends. What kind of animation are you wanting to go for? For 3D, I would agree with others and say Blender is a good start. For 2D, Flash is my favourite program to use, and a great one, but it isn't cheap. XD;; A decent free 2D animation program however is one called Pencil! It's essentially traditional hand draw every frame type of thing, but you can do good stuff with it~

And finally for tips, only one that really comes to mind is keep practicing! That and observe what's around you and try to think of how it moves. C:

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
While Blender is good software, and it's free, I recommend getting your hands on a student copy of an Autodesk program such as 3DS Max or Maya.
These are generally used in industry so it can help if you're thinking about doing it for a career. Student copies are available for free on the Autodesk website or the 'Autodesk Students' Facebook page. Plus, there are TONS of tutorials for Max!

Djinn

and Tonic
Few years old bump but,

Toon Boom is still the best but damn expensive. But there are a few open source programs that are pretty great, they just take an afternoon or so to get used to.

A few years ago Gibli's signature software became open source
http://alternativeto.net/software/opentoonz/
It's not too hard to learn and has a huge range of extras to tweak little details.

And Synfig is good for puppet animation (Total Drama Island, Johnny Test style stuff)
http://alternativeto.net/software/synfig/
That one takes some time just to get used to how puppeting works out but you could churn out some completed worked in less than half the time of traditional animation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom