• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Now Taking Ad Revenue from YouTube Let's Plays of Their Games

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
This isn't any different than, for example, Nintendo coming around and saying they have the right to all the advertising on Nintendo-based fan sites, like this one. Which, if they did so, they'd have no way to support themselves and many would shut down. Many other potential ones will never start because other companies will not do that so they'll make it about something else. It's the same thing. The fact that it's about the commentary and not the content is important. It is hardly a childish reaction either. You are at a disadvantage to continue it. Other companies' games don't have the same handicap, you'll gravitate towards them instead. Nintendo loses the free advertising it gets.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't understand your point about Rockstar Ventus (too lazy to quote)... they're one of the nice developers.

And I completely agree with Juice. No one's going to stop doing LP's either, most Youtubers do it for fun, people need to stop over-reacting about something that isn't even effecting them. That's why they're enjoyable to watch, just people having a lot of fun with the games they play. They won't stop playing Nintendo games just because they won't make money off them, now. I think saying that's a pretty big insult to a lot of Youtubers out there to be honest, too, practically accusing them of just being out for cash. Some are but many aren't, and still have the passion, and can continue earning money from the thousands of other games out there!

And let's not get this sense of entitlement gamers get. Just because you get one thing doesn't mean you you are entitled that thing for the rest of time. Things change. And this change isn't a bad thing; it's just normal. Not profiting off someone else's IP; THE HORROR! Doing it in the first place was a blessing.

Plus, people will still earn money if they like. Companies will still operate just as they did, pay Nintendo royalties to use their content but still make money off them. You know, like, how it's always worked? The only people who will suffer will be the ones who just commentate over a game. If they want to earn money on Youtube, they can put in the effort like channels like Freddiew does, with original, well-made content. Just like Nintendo made it's way with original, well-made content. They didn't just do commentaries over COD gameplay. ;)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The fact that it's about the commentary and not the content is important.

I...disagree. If it were just about commentary, why not make a game review or a podcast? Much quicker. Actually, sometimes the commentary can really turn me off when it's not related to the gameplay at all. In fact, if it's just about the commentary, forget the LP entirely and just film yourself talking into your webcam.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
*facepalm*

You're completely missing my point.

No I get your point and that may be completely valid. My point is coming from a different angle though.
I'm not here to argue with you mate, I think we've just had a bit of a misunderstanding.
I wasn't arguing with the fact of if the reaction is justified, all I'm saying is regardless of if its justified or not, it will happen.
I'm not the best at working things, *sigh*.
Oh and not all YouTubers will stop, but some could. Maybe I'm blowing this slightly too far out of proportion though I guess...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I...disagree. If it were just about commentary, why not make a game review or a podcast? Much quicker. In fact, sometimes the commentary can really turn me off when it's not related to the gameplay at all. In fact, if it's just about the commentary, forget the LP entirely and just film yourself talking into your webcam.
Well the commentary and video goes hand in hand, people want to see how others play the game while obviously listening to them and their reactions etc. Even though what separates the best LPers is the commentary style/quality, their videos wouldn't be the same without the visual aspect to relate to.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I...disagree. If it were just about commentary, why not make a game review or a podcast? Much quicker. Actually, sometimes the commentary can really turn me off when it's not related to the gameplay at all. In fact, if it's just about the commentary, forget the LP entirely and just film yourself talking into your webcam.
Again, the gameplay is merely a backdrop - the stuff that facilitates the commentary getting through to the public. A stage play is all about the acting, right? So why have costumes, lights, hell even dialogue? Because it all melds together to get you the reaction you desire.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Again, the gameplay is merely a backdrop - the stuff that facilitates the commentary getting through to the public. A stage play is all about the acting, right? So why have costumes, lights, hell even dialogue? Because it all melds together to get you the reaction you desire.

They're still making money off of videos that have content they didn't make, though. The fact that they're commenting doesn't change that. I'll admit it would be kind of nice for Nintendo to SPLIT the profits, but it really doesn't matter either way.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
They're still making money off of videos that have content they didn't make, though. The fact that they're commenting doesn't change that. I'll admit it would be kind of nice for Nintendo to SPLIT the profits, but it really doesn't matter either way.
However they aren't merely just stealing the content, they are providing genuine entertainment, they are bringing multiple people to the site, a lot of LPers drive a lot of the views that YouTube gets. Plus the fact that they essentially advertise Nintendo games (free advertisement), due to the sheer accessibility of viewers being able to watch then it's easy for them to provide videos to the masses. I can guarantee that such LPers have benefited Nintendo in some kind of fashion through this "free advertising".

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Nope, you're wrong. There's inherent difference. First of all, the only thing illegal about a fansite is the use of copyrighted images. Talking about the game is not illegal. So one tiny part like copyrighted images? That's silly to take the ad revenue from. Second: As you said it yourself, they would have no way to support themselves. We're talking a site that's paying it's way through ad revenue and hosts a large community of people working together and discussing the game.
Some LPers rely on this to support themselves. It is the same kind of thing.

LPs? The entire thing is against copyright laws. If Ninty wanted to, they could shut down the LPs entirely. The whole thing is making money off of Nintendo's work. Furthermore, is anything really being put into LPs to deserve money? Not really, it's fairly simple. I did LPs before, it isn't worth getting paid, that's for sure. More than that, LPs don't need anything to support themselves, just the time it takes to make them. They are getting rewarded. Would it be unreasonable for Nintendo to say "all fan sites with copyrighted images need to give us the money they don't use to support the site"? No, it wouldn't; otherwise the fansite owners are making money off of Nintendo's games.

You need to understand, as do many people in this thread, that there are copyright laws for a reason. Nintendo has the right to enforce all of these laws as they please. Again, Nintendo could shut down fan sites and LPs entirely. They aren't. They're not evil, and they're well within their rights.
Actually, no. Copyright law is not on Nintendo's side in this. Copyright law allows for fair use for the purposes of criticism, education, and commentary. Making the use of the copywritten content entirely legal.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think people are treating Youtube as something it's not; in every walk of life, if I profiteered off someone else's product, I'd be sued, or told to stop, and all a manner of things, not just left to do it. It happens all the time. Youtube isn't some God-like, untouchable being above the Law. People being able to do it is a damn good thing that they shouldn't squander nor take for granted, or complain when/if it goes since they were damn lucky to be able to do it even in the first place.

This is far from a bad thing to happen.

Clank

Hmm
Actually, no. Copyright law is not on Nintendo's side in this. Copyright law allows for fair use for the purposes of criticism, education, and commentary. Making the use of the copywritten content entirely legal.

So, wouldn't this mean that I could upload the newest hit movie to youtube, provided I commented on it?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Some LPers rely on this to support themselves. It is the same kind of thing.

Again, lazy like GameStop. If LPing is really the only thing they can find to make money, they must be pretty poor excuses of a human being.

Legal, yes. Doesn't mean Nintendo doesn't have the right to get the money they deserve.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

Here you guys go. Commentary is legit. Who cares if it is lazy? On disc DLC is lazy. Releasing incomplete games is lazy. Hell, going to sleep on the job is lazy. There's no problem with commentary being added to the list. What, are you mad because the commentators make easier money than you do? Well...go grab a mic, a popular game, some capture equipment, and have a blast.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

Here you guys go. Commentary is legit. Who cares if it is lazy? On disc DLC is lazy. Releasing incomplete games is lazy. Hell, going to sleep on the job is lazy. There's no problem with commentary being added to the list. What, are you mad because the commentators make easier money than you do? Well...go grab a mic, a popular game, some capture equipment, and have a blast.

No. I refuse to stoop to a level that low. If I'm going to make a living, I'm going to EARN it by doing my OWN work, not mooching off of others'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom