• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Worst Case Scenario For Zelda Wii U

It's fair to personally prefer to not see bosses return, but it's not fair to call SS's recurring bosses repetitive. (I know I defend SS a lot, but just hear me out. I only do it for good reasons, after all.) Each of these had different elements added onto them each time (except Scaldara, but the entire point of that was to catch you off guard and play off the fact that it was possible for more than one Scaldera to exist). Ghirahim even had a completely different third fight. Again, it's not fair to call them repetitive when they have an extra layer of depth added onto them when they appear again, as that's... well, the opposite of repetitive.

I meant repetitive character-wise, not gameplay. I'm not really interested in playing against the same character multiple times despite them having different gameplay elements. If they wanted a boss to have different tactics just add it on to the first encounter. I can understand fighting one character several times (ghirahim makes sense) but not practically every boss. It just comes across as lazy. Moldarach as a mini-boss AFTER it was a dungeon boss was all kinds of WTF.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
The worst case scenario for Zelda Wii U through my eyes is that it retains Skyward Sword's combat style alongside the heavy motion control integration. I don't know about you, but constantly manipulating enemies through the wave of a wand isn't my favorite way of playing Zelda. Loopholes are too easily found that way; I really desire traditional controls this time around.
I totally agree. I liked SS's controls a heck of a lot better than the DS titles (that would be my worst case scenario for Zelda 3DS is to retain the DS Zeldas' control scheme) but that's not saying much. Just please Nintendo give me a game that plays with buttons.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
To really annoy me they could use Toon Link again.(Loving WW HD look but not for the original title Zelda U). Any overworld like SS's would also ruin it for me. I want a proper land to explore with everywhere you can see you can go. They could make a short game. They could make it too easy. I will be mildly annoyed if they decide not to use voice acting in some form and still have characters move their mouths when they talk and having no voice coming out. Now they can do it it Hylian or English. I'd prefer English but if they do Hylian, fine.
They could not bring back Ganondorf for the main villain. 7 years I have waited for his return, I imagine I'll be waiting a couple more, but he'd better be in it. Or else...

Clank

Hmm
1. Using either M+ OR touch based combat control.
2. Wasting the Wii U's HD with anything but the beautiful tech demo.
3. Terrible story is easily forgiven by me, but there are a lot of people that would hate having a poor story(I assume...)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I meant repetitive character-wise, not gameplay. I'm not really interested in playing against the same character multiple times despite them having different gameplay elements. If they wanted a boss to have different tactics just add it on to the first encounter. I can understand fighting one character several times (ghirahim makes sense) but not practically every boss. It just comes across as lazy. Moldarach as a mini-boss AFTER it was a dungeon boss was all kinds of WTF.

Besides Moldarach -- which, by the way, I'm an idiot for saying Scaldera instead of Moldarach <.< -- Ghirahim and The Imprisoned are the only two recurring bosses. I'll admit that the third Imprisoned fight was rather forced and unnecessary, but you gotta admit that you're overexaggerating by saying "practically every boss".

I also loved the second Moldarach appearance. It didn't add anything new, but, like I already said, that wasn't the intention. The entire premise was, again, catching us off guard and emphasizing that it's possible for more than one Moldarach to exist. It was also completely unexplained as to why that Moldrach was there. I love moments like that in video games. Moments where something comes out of freaking nowhere with no real explanation as to why. Like the Twilit Bloat in Twilight Princess and Nightmare in Metroid: Fusion. They add flavor and an element of surprise, and that's just plain cool.

2. Wasting the Wii U's HD with anything but the beautiful tech demo.

Wait, how would using an art style other than an HD-ified version of Twilight Princess's be "wasting the Wii U's HD"? Art styles aren't determined by graphical power. They're determined by how they look, and any art style can look just as great as another in HD. I really don't get why people think HD automatically means games should have gritty textures. That's insanity.

Clank

Hmm
Wait, how would using an art style other than an HD-ified version of Twilight Princess's be "wasting the Wii U's HD"? Art styles aren't determined by graphical power. They're determined by how they look, and any art style can look just as great as another in HD. I really don't get why people think HD automatically means games should have gritty textures. That's insanity.

My point was that it is one of the few art styles Nintendo has shown us can be nailed in HD, yes there are others, but do you really want Nintendo wasting this chance with a potentially unpopular art style?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
My point was that it is one of the few art styles Nintendo has shown us can be nailed in HD, yes there are others, but do you really want Nintendo wasting this chance with a potentially unpopular art style?

I'm pretty sure Nintendo has shown that they don't care about what people think of their art styles now that the DS games and Skyward Sword have released. They gave in to Western fans' demands by giving us Twilight Princess's gritty art style, which honestly doesn't fit a fantasy series like Zelda (that goes for the tech demo, as well), which resulted in fan backlash, even though there was quite a lot of love for it because "ZOMG REALISTIC SELDA!!1!1", even though it's not remotely realistic. After that, they went back to more whimsical styles.

In all honesty, I expect to see a mixture between Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time 3D's art styles for Zelda Wii U. It just seems like the next logical step after Skyward Sword's impressionist style. Detailed textures alongside of beautiful and vibrant colors. That would be awesome.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Besides Moldarach -- which, by the way, I'm an idiot for saying Scaldera instead of Moldarach <.< -- Ghirahim and The Imprisoned are the only two recurring bosses. I'll admit that the third Imprisoned fight was rather forced and unnecessary, but you gotta admit that you're overexaggerating by saying "practically every boss".

The repeated bosses (Ghirahim, Imprisoned, and Moldarach) took up 7 (half) of the boss fights.

Being popular or unpopular means nothing, but yes, some styles don't work nearly as well with HD *eyes WWHD*

They gave in to Western fans' demands by giving us Twilight Princess's gritty art style, which honestly doesn't fit a fantasy series like Zelda (that goes for the tech demo, as well), which resulted in fan backlash,

What are you talking about? This gave them the 2nd best results out of any game next to OoT itself.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The repeated bosses (Ghirahim, Imprisoned, and Moldarach) took up 7 (half) of the boss fights.

One, the second Moldarach fight is a miniboss. Two, "practically every boss" would mean that every INDIVIDUAL boss would have been fought at least twice. ...Which isn't what happened. Three... your point is? They were altered fights, especially Ghirahim's third battle.

Being popular or unpopular means nothing, but yes, some styles don't work nearly as well with HD *eyes WWHD*

...? The Wind Waker HD looks gorgeous. Wtf are you talking about?

What are you talking about? This gave them the 2nd best results out of any game next to OoT itself.

In sales and due to the casual audience. There was still a fair amount of backlash from many of the hardcore Zelda fans.

DarkestLink

One, the second Moldarach fight is a miniboss.

Your supposed reason: "It didn't have a title"

Yep, completely different fight. So Wind Waker didn't have any bosses at all, right?

Two, "practically every boss" would mean that every INDIVIDUAL boss would have been fought at least twice. ...Which isn't what happened.

I forgive SS because it still had 9 unique fights, but half the fights being re-used is a lot.

...? The Wind Waker HD looks gorgeous. Wtf are you talking about?

To each their own. I find it looks too plastic and slightly annoying. While I'm not a fan of the original style either, I find it to be more effective.

...Exactly.

and due to the casual audience.

No kidding, it's a casual series.

There was still a fair amount of backlash from many of the hardcore Zelda fans.

Funny. Reminds me of that time Skyward Sword came out and got a large amount of backlash from the fans. Speaking of Skyward Sword, you know what that reminds me of? The even bigger backlash that come when Majora's Mask was released. You know what that reminds me of? The even larger amount of backlash when Phantom Hourglass was released. You know what that reminds me of? The even larger amount of backlash when Spirit Tracks was released. You know what that reminds me of? The scar left on the series after the ungodly amount of backlash when Wind Waker was released.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Your supposed reason: "It didn't have a title"

It's become a standard for boss fights to have names before them lol.

Yep, completely different fight. So Wind Waker didn't have any bosses at all, right?

What do you even mean by this?

I forgive SS because it still had 9 unique fights, but half the fights being re-used is a lot.

I think only the third Imprisoned fight was overkill. Ghirahim having 3 fights was really helpful to the plot and his character development, the second Imprisoned fight helped establish how much of a threat the giant pineapple was, and the second Moldarach was just a ****ing awesome re-appearance.

To each their own. I find it looks too plastic and slightly annoying. While I'm not a fan of the original style either, I find it to be more effective.

I prefer the Cel-shading myself, but I can't say the HD remake doesn't look amazing without lying through my teeth.

...Exactly.

Is this supposed to be a rebuttal? You didn't counter what I said in any way.

No kidding, it's a casual series.

Except it's not. Sure, the GameCube games were pretty casual, but the series as a whole is casual-friendly, meaning it's easily accessible to newcomers. Not very many series pull that off as well as Zelda does.

You wanna know a real casual series? Call of Duty. "BUT THAT'S HARDCORE BECAUSE IT'S GRITTY AND VIOLENT!!1" lolno, its target audience is the brainless idiots that will eat anything Activision gives them out of the palms of their hands.

Funny. Reminds me of that time Skyward Sword came out and got a large amount of backlash from the fans. Speaking of Skyward Sword, you know what that reminds me of? The even bigger backlash that come when Majora's Mask was released. You know what that reminds me of? The even larger amount of backlash when Phantom Hourglass was released. You know what that reminds me of? The even larger amount of backlash when Spirit Tracks was released. You know what that reminds me of? The scar left on the series after the ungodly amount of backlash when Wind Waker was released.

Like I said... I'm pretty sure Nintendo has stopped caring about what fans think about the art styles now that Twilight Princess has come and gone. They're just gonna keep doing their own thing in that area.

DarkestLink

It's become a standard for boss fights to have names before them lol.

I don't recall The Horde having a title...

What do you even mean by this?

No titles.

Ghirahim having 3 fights was really helpful to the plot and his character development,

Not really...Ghirahim showing up was helpful to establishing the plot. But he could have just as easily made Link fight a monster as he always does and nothing would be lost. And he had no character development.

I prefer the Cel-shading myself, but I can't say the HD remake doesn't look amazing without lying through my teeth.

I didn't even like the original art style as it is, but even if I did, there's something wrong when I find myself preferring the graphical appearance of something 2 generations ago compared to now.

Is this supposed to be a rebuttal? You didn't counter what I said in any way.

There is nothing to rebut or counter.

Except it's not.

Tell me how the series is no casual. Rules: Don't mention anything before OoT. LA was the last of its kind and it came out 20 years ago.

You wanna know a real casual series? Call of Duty. "BUT THAT'S HARDCORE BECAUSE IT'S GRITTY AND VIOLENT!!1" lolno, its target audience is the brainless idiots that will eat anything Activision gives them out of the palms of their hands.

It is casual, but it's still more hardcore than Zelda or Mario. Any fool can pick up a Zelda game and beat it. A hardcore game requires dedication. This doesn't mean it's better or worse, but for starters if something is going to be considered hardcore, it needs to be inherently hard. And no, not hard as in the game is so easy that you have to set up your own obstacles to challenge yourself, I mean hard as in you take everything the game offers you and you still have a tough time with it.

Like I said... I'm pretty sure Nintendo has stopped caring about what fans think about the art styles now that Twilight Princess has come and gone. They're just gonna keep doing their own thing in that area.

And it will continue to blow up in their face as it has in the past.

And it will continue to blow up in their face as it has in the past.

And why does that matter? As you said before, Majoras mask, wind waker(I have a feeling you don't like that game much though) AND skyward all had backlash... What was one thing that all these games had in common though? Fun, creative, unique and amazing experiences. Yeah sure, at first no one likes it, but after time it turns out these are some of the best Zelda games.

I'm GLAD that Nintendo hasn't given up being unique and creative. But sadly, it seems they just moved the unique and creative side to the art style(for the most part).Just look at Majoras mask. Its a beautiful game, not artistically necessarily(except for that tree, so beautiful T_T *sniff*), but game play wise and character wise. It was very challenging and enjoyable.

So you know what Nintndo should do for the next game? Take a risk. Take a risk on the story, on game-play, and the characters, puzzles, art style(which they tend to do a lot already) everything. They can still make it feel like Zelda by keeping core elements. Like the exploration, music, magic and humor. Backlash is created by either too much change or too much the same. I would much rather have too much change then no backlash at all from little change. If the series wants to move on, its important to take that risk and hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom