• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Okay, before I say anything, I am a retro-gamer despite that I am in the age group where you expect me to play Halo, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, etc.

Okay, onto whatever I wanted to say. I grew up with alot of the older Sonic games. When I was under the impression that Knuckles was cool, everyone else was all over Shadow. Eventually I got a demo of Sonic Heroes and got the impression that he was better that Knux. Then I thought E-102 Gamma was cool, then Omega. Then, once Silver became cool, I lost all faith in new sonic games. Silver took what Sonic was, and just blew it. Then came Blaze the cat, then the babylon rogues, then all these uber custom Sonic characters. I thought that Sonic lost it's cool. Now that Metal Sonic is apparently going to be in Mario & Sonic at the winter olympics, I feel like the Sonic Team is coming to their senses.

So now I want your opinion on all these new characters in Sonic. Pleas give reasons why and most of all, do not flame others for their opinions.

We do already have a thread about Sonic, but I honestly think that this is an important enough topic to have it's own thread (in my view anyway). I think all of these new characters are a big part of what's responsible for the decline in quality of the recent Sonic games. Tails, Knuckles, and Amy were great, I'm all for them appearing in future titles and playing a big role. Let's just pretend that Big the Cat never happened. Shadow and Rouge are awesome too, but I'd rather they be reserved for special games, and not be featured in every title. Then we get to Sonic Heroes, like you mentioned. I'm just barely willing to accept the characters we got there, and for specific reasons: The Chaotix were just plain funny. That was an awesome clash of the personalities there, and I think they should be in future games. Omega, not so much. I guess I could accept him in the future, but meh, it depends. After that, it all goes downhill. Sonic 06 is the absolute worst Sonic game I've ever played, and it trashed Sonic's good name. Silver was a Shadow wannabe, and I thought Blaze didn't really bring anything to the game that I cared about. The Babylon Rouges seemed neccessary for the Sonic Riders games, but I'm really not in favor of a third installment at this point. Chip was cute, but really, they should have but Knuckles in instead of him, because Chip turned out to be kind of boring, just like Blaze.

So yeah, I have a pretty big problem with it too. My advice to Sega from an old school Sonic fan: Stick to the characters everyone loves (Tails, Knuckles, Amy) instead of bringing out boring characters (Silver, Blaze, and to a lesser extent Chip) that no one is going to care about.

There hasn't been a good character invented since the days of Sonic 3/S&K. That is my opinion. In fact, there hasn't been a really, overall good Sonic title released since then, and I think the characters were a big part of that.

First off, playing as most of these characters was no fun. Big the Cat and Amy were worthless in Sonic Adventure, Shadow was okay in Sonic Adventure 2, but he was kinda just a Sonic copy. Then they released Shadow's own game where they tried to make him all "mature", and that was a mistake.

Secondly, the character's attitudes and personality have really killed the series for me lately. Tails is one in particular that I could not stand to set and listen to during Sonic Adventure. Him having a little kids voice with those less than great scripts that he had to say made the game just seem thrown together. They tried to make Sonic "cool", and that has just made him fail. Knuckles has stayed about neutral. He was what I would have expected in Sonic Adventure, and remains my favorite character of the series still. But I'd say they will end up killing his character too, if they haven't already in some of the ones I haven't played.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
These are the only characters I am really familiar with.

Sonic- a sweet main character to the series. I've always liked him and have definitely held him as one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

Tails- I always liked playing as him because he can fly!

Knuckles- He was the Badass guy until Shadow came around. I loved playing as him in Sonic & Knuckles.

Shadow- Awesome addition to the series. I like the "Bass" feeling to him. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Bass is a character in Megaman who was created by the evil guy but Bass has his own agenda. Shadow was created by Robotnik's father or grandfather or something, but he doesn't listen to Robotnik and he goes and does his own thing.

Dr. Robotnik- I hate it when he's called Dr. Eggman or just Eggman. They should just stick with calling him Dr. Robotnik (like the true, old fans know and love).

Silver- He was cool, but I agree that he kind of destroyed what Sonic was about. The Sonic The Hedgehog game that first came out for the elite systems (360, PS3) was kind of a dissappointment. Silver was like a psychic user? Lame. Stick with super cool/fast Hedgehogs. We don't need witches in the series. The graphics for that game were AMAZING though.

Other than that I know the side characters a little bit but after Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, the series has gone WAY downhill. I don't even bother to play any of the games after that.

D

Deleted member 121

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

SA2:B is one of my favorite games for GCN. Surely I'm not the only one who likes it... Not only does it have an awesome story line and great gameplay, but it also has one of the best side games. That of course would be the Chao World. I've spent hours raising chao, and infact, I'm raising a Sonic Chao as I'm typing this.

Anyways what do you guys think about it?

I really like this game. The levels were fun and challenging but I loved Chao world the most. I mostly like my Hero Chaos but I still care for the Evil ones. I've beat the evil storyline but haven't gotten around to beating the last level of the hero one.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
This was the last good Sonic game that was made. Ever since this game, the series has gone way down hill. They either need to make another game like SA2:B or they need to go back to the original side scrolling games that were so much fun. The stuff they are doing now just doesn't appeal to anyone anymore.

D

Deleted member 121

This was the last good Sonic game that was made. Ever since this game, the series has gone way down hill. They either need to make another game like SA2:B or they need to go back to the original side scrolling games that were so much fun. The stuff they are doing now just doesn't appeal to anyone anymore.

Agreed, they either need to make a SA3 or at the very least bring back chao.

This in my opinion, Is by far the best sonic game ever made, I loved the Chao's, Unfortunately for me my brother tooks his GCN and y save file with it. I would love for Nintendo to release this game on the VC, I spent hours raising a Chao at a time with Sonic or Shadow seeing as they were my 2 favourite characters.

If they did bring this game out again on the VC it would be a top priority for me to get. It would be a great game to add back to my collection.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I used to be addicted to this game. I loved everything about it. It was pretty challenging for me back when I was younger, which made it more fun to play. Not to mention the story, like you've previously mentioned. I really enjoy the first level, earthboarding through the city streets was so entertaining. Though the boss battles would have to be my favorite parts. They were really fun and creative. (Spoilers, for those of you who haven't played.) Especially the Biolizard/Ultimate Life Form. The final boss would be a daily ritual for me. When I came home from school, the first thing I did was stop it from crashing into the Earth.

Another thing I really liked was Chao World. That was great. I used to love raising them, competing in competitions, etcetera. It was especially fun when they reached their peak, getting to go to the heaven and hell realms.

Steve

5/19/13
Not only do I think this was the last good Sonic game, I find it to be the best out of all the Sonic games. It had such an amazing storyline, as well as gameplay, and while the graphic weren't great, that doesn't affect it at all. It's also one of the few games in general that has a good multiplayer, especially the rails ones. I also agree that removing Chao from the series was a real bad move, and I'm absolutely up for a SA3 if they do it right.

In my opinion this was the last really good Sonic game.
This is also the game that made me a fan of the Sonic series.

This game also was the first Sonic game that had a interesting story to it.
We also get Shadow and Rouge(two of my favorite Sonic characters).
This game also had the Chao Garden where you could rise and level up your pet Chao.

I also like the different levels for the characters, speed levels for Sonic and Shadow, the ones where Tails and Eggman ride around in there battle robots, and the treasure hunting levels with Knuckles and Rouge.

I, like so many other people here, agree that this was the last "amazing" Sonic title, and is by far the best of the 3D titles. I was so hooked on it when I was younger. I thought the whole plot itself was amazing, and rather complex and absorbing compared to the 2D Sonic titles I had played. I thought all of the levels played out very well, and it actually got HARD during the final levels of both sides. The music, for the most part was amazing. I'll never forget the City Escape theme and Eggman's theme. I was surprised that some mentioned the Chao. I actually thought I was the only one that got insanely addicted to those things. I remember spending hours on the Cube trying to get a Sonic chao, and I never could quite get it right. The karate especially amused me, with all of the funny little punches and kicks you could do.

It's just sad that Sonic proves with this game how good he can be in 3D, and yet the most recent titles suck pretty bad. Instead of all the quirks we've been getting (Werehog, Sonic with a Sword, Silver the time traveler) they really need to look at what made people love SA2, and create Sonic Adventure 3.

General Lee

Classic Gamer
Well first of all the Dreamcast version is better. Especially if your talking about chaos, because on the Dreamcast you could save your chao on the memory cards. I'm surprised that nobody has really mentioned the Dreamcast version since its the same thing. And in my mind, Sonic Adventure was what changed Sonic forever, its just wasn't the same as the others. If you play the classic ones you would know what I mean. It was a great game but it was completely different from what I classified as Sonic.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
because on the Dreamcast you could save your chao on the memory cards.

You could do this on GameCube as well. I once needed to make space on my memory card, so I deleted my SA2 data, but before doing so, I gave all my Chao's to my friend.

General Lee

Classic Gamer
You could do this on GameCube as well. I once needed to make space on my memory card, so I deleted my SA2 data, but before doing so, I gave all my Chao's to my friend.

Ah yes I forgot about that :P forgive me about that one. But Ill still like the Dreamcast version souly on the fact that its the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom