• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda In Regards to the Collector's Edition of HH on Craigslist...

Tonight I decided to write to Dark Horse about the recent article on here where someone had 40+ copies of Hyrule Historia Collector's Edition they were trying to sell for profit. I'm sure Dark Horse won't do anything about this letter, but who knows, maybe if enough people complain we can get another limited run of Collector's Editions that are distributed a little more fairly? Anyway, here's what I wrote:

"Dear Dark Horse,

A while back, I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of Hyrule Historia from Barnes & Noble. My order was cancelled after about a week. No big deal, I knew they were limited to a certain amount of copies, so I just went ahead and pre-ordered the standard version. However, I am very displeased in the way the Collector's Editions were distributed. It is very unfair that my order was cancelled, as well as many other Zelda fans, while people like this (http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/hyrule_historia_caigslist2.jpg) can get 40+ copies to sell and profit off of, knowing that they have many copies of a very rare collector's item.

A Collector's Edition is just that: for collectors. Many Zelda fans missed out on owning the Collector's Edition due to people like this. I use this Craigslist as an example because of the many books he owns, but he is not the only one. A quick eBay search will pull up many postings, all listed for a few hundred dollars, of people trying to profit off of the Collector's Editions that they shouldn't have been able to get so many copies of in the first place.

I am not writing this solely because I am upset that I did not get the Collector's Edition. I, as well as other fans, feel robbed that our orders were cancelled while people who aren't fans got ahold of copies solely for profit. I believe next time you publish Collector's Editions of your works, there should be some sort of limit per person, to prevent things like this from happening again.

Thank you,
[my name]"

Again, I'm sure IF I do get any sort of reply, it will be a generic "we're sorry about your inconvenience" or "thanks for your feedback!" but it feels good to vent to them a little bit.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Whatever D-bags is doing that on CL and ebay need to be stopped. Hylia Hystoria is, even thought it's still new, is a collector's item. People should not be able to buy something then go around and sell it for a higher price. I'm pretty sure that this is illegal. There's a term used for it, which I can't remember at the moment.

And besides, it's unfair how the CE's were handled. The people who pre-ordered 40+ should have been the first to be cancelled.

And the first line of my current signature goes well with my statement: You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here.

And what exactly is the difference between the special edition and the regular edition? is it just the covers?

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
At the very least they'll hear ya, at best they'll take it into consideration and actually put a limit on orders on future collectors editions (which should have been done anyway, it's not anything new after all).

It's really not Dark Horses fault, it's the D-Bags who take advantage of demand and resell. That's like holding other people's stuff hostage. Still, if Dark Horse was serious about a collectors edition product they would have treated it as such and taken measures to try and prevent this from happening. Then again so could craigslist and ebay but it's not like those online retailers have standards.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
At the very least they'll hear ya, at best they'll take it into consideration and actually put a limit on orders on future collectors editions (which should have been done anyway, it's not anything new after all).

It's really not Dark Horses fault, it's the D-Bags who take advantage of demand and resell. That's like holding other people's stuff hostage. Still, if Dark Horse was serious about a collectors edition product they would have treated it as such and taken measures to try and prevent this from happening. Then again so could craigslist and ebay but it's not like those online retailers have standards.

Maybe Dark Horse and Craigslist didn't take Hyrule Hystoria seriously. I think they were like "yeah, yeah, it's a book. Same old, same old. Who is going to read this thing anyways?",

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe Dark Horse and Craigslist didn't take Hyrule Hystoria seriously. I think they were like "yeah, yeah, it's a book. Same old, same old. Who is going to read this thing anyways?",
Craigslist doesn't take anything seriously and Dark Horse knew this book was going to be high in demand and would have had a better attitude towards the book than that.
Dark Horse could have at least attempted to do something about the Colectors Edition though, even making it only available on their own website (if they have one) and a limit of 1-2 per customer.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly

Having had more than a few conversations on the subject with Hyrule Historia contributor Glitterberri, I get the feeling Dark Horse took the translation of HH very seriously. I think they may have overlooked its distribution, however.

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
Yes something should have been done by limiting the Collector's edition to 1 per person IMO just as any other product is done nowadays yet this could also be done our favor if people were not buying the items for the 100+ dollars they ask for on Ebay and CL but sadly there are some people who just will buy anything no matter the cost just look at Nike shoes.... I mean if there are people who are willing to buy a pair of shoes for $1000+ then im sure they will buy anything sadly.

I got an e-mail from Amazon today saying there is a delay, so I went from having an estimated date of the 20th to no definite time for shipment.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
This sort of thing happens all the time, and it's appalling. Another one of my fandoms has experienced it, you know Skylanders? It's a game that uses figurines in order to be able to play as that certain character. People were buying tons of the figurines and selling them on Ebay. The good news is a guy was able to go to his local Walmart and inform them of the situation, and the Walmart placed a limit on how many you can buy at a time.

I don't think Dark Horse will have any power here, you should have contacted Amazon instead. Because the idiot isn't buying directly from the publisher, he's probably buying from Amazon, yknow?

*sigh* I am still Hyrule Historialess, I haven't even tried ordering it from anywhere. I think there's a Barnes and Noble nearby, and I hope they have it.

What's the difference between the collectors edition and the standard edition anyway?

This sort of thing happens all the time, and it's appalling. Another one of my fandoms has experienced it, you know Skylanders? It's a game that uses figurines in order to be able to play as that certain character. People were buying tons of the figurines and selling them on Ebay. The good news is a guy was able to go to his local Walmart and inform them of the situation, and the Walmart placed a limit on how many you can buy at a time.

I don't think Dark Horse will have any power here, you should have contacted Amazon instead. Because the idiot isn't buying directly from the publisher, he's probably buying from Amazon, yknow?

*sigh* I am still Hyrule Historialess, I haven't even tried ordering it from anywhere. I think there's a Barnes and Noble nearby, and I hope they have it.

What's the difference between the collectors edition and the standard edition anyway?

There isn't too much difference between the two just mostly a cover change. I did order a standard green edition too and that says it will take a week, with standard shipping.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't think it's fair to call the guy an idiot or anything. He just wants to make money; is there any harm in that? Especially when the whole of HH is online (has been for about a year) and completely free!

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I don't think it's fair to call the guy an idiot or anything. He just wants to make money; is there any harm in that? Especially when the whole of HH is online (has been for about a year) and completely free!
There are other ways to make money. Buying a buttload of collectors items and selling them for more than theyre worth? That's just rude. He doesn't need 40 some copies, and he certainly can make money in other ways. He's pretty much stealing from people who will actually use/enjoy them. I'm sure he wouldn't like it if something he wanted to buy was out of stock because somebody decided to take advantage of the system.

As for it being online...it's cooler and maybe easier to have a book in your hand versus having to click and read on a computer screen. And some people didn't know where to find it online.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n

Hey I'm all for responsible capitalism... but this is just crooked. Bordering on extortion.

and he's not an idiot, just a greedy jerkwad.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
There are other ways to make money. Buying a buttload of collectors items and selling them for more than theyre worth? That's just rude. He doesn't need 40 some copies, and he certainly can make money in other ways. He's pretty much stealing from people who will actually use/enjoy them. I'm sure he wouldn't like it if something he wanted to buy was out of stock because somebody decided to take advantage of the system.

As for it being online...it's cooler and maybe easier to have a book in your hand versus having to click and read on a computer screen. And some people didn't know where to find it online.

I hear you about the cooler/easier part, but do you honestly think it's rude? It's a collector's item; eventually the prints would run out and guess what? Someone would be selling their mint copy of HH CE for $500,000. People would wondrously be fawning over that person, but this guy selling for a meager $100~$400 apiece is a jerk? That's a bit hypocritical on some dudes' parts. I don't fault the guy at all; if an easy $100 lay in front of me and all I had to do was sell a book(set)....I'd sell the book(set). Why should I get a real job that pays $7.25/hour and work forever when my money could be given to me in little less than a day?

I mean, I understand wanting to have a special book. But in the end, it's first come first serve. That's how collector's items work in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom