• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Deku Mask

She directly says that Link resembles the Deku boy so that also links to the Deku Mask being the soul of the Deku Butler's son.

There is also the dog in the middle of Clock Town, looking for a certain Deku scrub, which happens to resemble you. Now before you say that any Deku could be it. See that he doesn't attack the Deku Merchant? That helps prove that the dog is looking for a certain Deku.

The only problem is that Skull Kid turned Link into the Deku. Unless Skull Kid had something to do with the Butler's Son's current position (dead or spiritless, whichever), then it wouldn't make sense for Link's Deku form, caused by SK, to have any relation to the Butler's Son. As you said, Tatl says that the tree looks like you. If Skull Kid had anything to do with the Butler's Son's death or current position, he would have done so after he got his powers, Tatl and Tael would have been with him when he done it, and Tatl would have probably told Link about him doing it, rather than acting as if it were the first time she had seen that tree, a.k.a.: The Deku Butler's Son.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The only problem is that Skull Kid turned Link into the Deku. Unless Skull Kid had something to do with the Butler's Son's current position (dead or spiritless, whichever), then it wouldn't make sense for Link's Deku form, caused by SK, to have any relation to the Butler's Son. As you said, Tatl says that the tree looks like you. If Skull Kid had anything to do with the Butler's Son's death or current position, he would have done so after he got his powers, Tatl and Tael would have been with him when he done it, and Tatl would have probably told Link about him doing it, rather than acting as if it were the first time she had seen that tree, a.k.a.: The Deku Butler's Son.

Good point then. I still believe that the spirit behind the mask is the Deku Butler's son. There's to much evidence pointing to it. And while Skull Kid didn't kill him, doesn't mean he can't use his soul.

D

Deleted member 121

Skull Kid is a possibility, he may have turned him into a tree or something. however I don't think he is the reason. It's possible he got lost and or trapped in the Lost Woods for some reason and died due to lack of food, water. Hylians/Termininans(?) turn into Stalfos when they get lost/stuck in the Lost Woods, so perhaps Deku that get lost/stuck in the Lost Woods turn into trees or something. Maybe The Deku Mask really doesn't have anything to do with The Butler's son, at least not directly.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Another thing is to look at this quote made by Tatl: "Come over to this tree and check it out! It's strange, but the way you look right now sort of looks like this tree... It looks all dark and gloomy... almost like it could start crying any second now... How sad..."

She directly says that Link resembles the Deku boy so that also links to the Deku Mask being the soul of the Deku Butler's son.

I thought that when Tatl says this she was just talking about Deku's in general. The only resemblence that I can see between Deku Link and the tree, is the type of wood that the tree is made from and the fact that the tree is clearly a Deku. On design only there is nowhere near enough we can go on. Also, Tatl says that the withered tree looks sad and 'amost like it could start crying any second now.' All Deku's have big sad eyes, this is not just Deku Link. I seriously think that when Tatl says that you resemble the tree, she is pointing out that this tree was a Deku, not that it is where you got to spirit which is now in the Deku mask.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I thought that when Tatl says this she was just talking about Deku's in general. The only resemblence that I can see between Deku Link and the tree, is the type of wood that the tree is made from and the fact that the tree is clearly a Deku. On design only there is nowhere near enough we can go on. Also, Tatl says that the withered tree looks sad and 'amost like it could start crying any second now.' All Deku's have big sad eyes, this is not just Deku Link. I seriously think that when Tatl says that you resemble the tree, she is pointing out that this tree was a Deku, not that it is where you got to spirit which is now in the Deku mask.

Deku_Royal.png

They do not all have sad eyes, even Dekus are capable of changing the ways their eyes look. And also may I point out, that while Deku Link himself doesn't resemble the tree much that the Elegy of Emptiness Statue does resemble it a lot.

Well, this is my opinion:

I believe you are right that the mask is like the others. However, I believe this case is unique.

Obviously the Song of Healing wasn't used to make the mask. So what I think happened is the Skull Kid (or perhaps it was really Majora's Mask) used his power to warp or possibly kill the Deku Butler's son and take his spirit to transform Link.

The curse that resulted from this and turned Link into the Deku Butler was lifted when the Happy Mask Salesman played the Song of Healing, and thus was turned into a mask. I don't think it was really a mask at any time prior to the song being played.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
Well, this is my opinion:

I believe you are right that the mask is like the others. However, I believe this case is unique.

Obviously the Song of Healing wasn't used to make the mask. So what I think happened is the Skull Kid (or perhaps it was really Majora's Mask) used his power to warp or possibly kill the Deku Butler's son and take his spirit to transform Link.

The curse that resulted from this and turned Link into the Deku Butler was lifted when the Happy Mask Salesman played the Song of Healing, and thus was turned into a mask. I don't think it was really a mask at any time prior to the song being played.

I was thinking that right now, it was never a mask before the song was used....so what if when Deku's naturally die they just turn into normal trees?[I mean that's kinda what happened to the "Great Deku Tree"] And maybe.....the Butler's son was trying to return home when he encountered the Skull Kid, maybe he poisoned the Butler's son and slowly started dying so he tryied to return home but he ran outta time and ended up turning into a tree with the sad eyes as a regret of not making it home back to his Father? I mean, perhaps he was wondering soul and was the captured by the Skull Kid and used to transform Link?

Starchain1

A star
Your hypothesis is intresting I believe that the Deku Butlers son found Link right when majora did so majora just used the deku son's body to curse Link in it(though Link found the cure) and the deku son could be cursed into something as well this probaly would have made a good side quest.

K

Kali075

A weird part of this argument is exactly where you are when you see the twisted tree. At the start of the game, when chasing the Skull Kid, you first fall down a hole, which seems to be where you make the transition from Hyrule to Termina. But then, after being turned into a Deku, after walking by the twisted tree, we go through what seems like another transition when we go through that twisted room that leads from the "forest" area to the water wheel beneath the clock tower.

I find it strange that there's two "crossover" areas. Were we in Hyrule when we saw the twisted tree? Or were we in Termina? If Termina, why is there a forest underneath Clock Town? Why does that final room look so strange? Why does the door shut behind you when you enter the area beneath the clock tower?

My theory about the Butler's Son is similar to many of the ones said above. I believe he left his home a long time ago, eventually making his way to Clock Town, and possibly intentionally trying to get to Hyrule. Unfortunately he bumped into the Skull Kid wearing Majora's mask, who, I believe, turned him into a tree and took his soul. It's also vague, I think, whether the Skull Kid was originally from Hyrule or Termina, but that's another thread I guess.

T

Todd

What I got out of it:

The Butler's son leaves home, runs into Skull Kid, and gets killed. My guess is he was killed by being turned into the tree, not the other way around. SK finds Link and turns him into a Deku Shrub using the soul of the Butler's son.

I think everyone excepts the fact that the tree is the son of the Butler, so I'll skip that.

Why doesn't Tatl just tell Link? They just met and she and her friends killed his horse (I think the Epona in MM is a different horse. Every character in MM is a recycled one from OoT so it only makes sense that there'd be another Epona) and turned Link into a shrub. Despite this, he is still willing to help her after SK abandons her and she's probably feeling somewhat guilty now. When they see the twisted tree she wants to confess, but she can't just say, "Oh look, the Deku we killed to turn you into this.", he's the only one who can help her.
Instead she says that they look alike. Everyone in LoZ (including just about every player, as they were in OoT) is familiar with Deku shrubs so it doesn't makes sense that she'd say that just to point out that they're both shrubs.

Why can't you take off the mask? I haven't gotten to Great Bay yet, but I know you create the Goron mask by soothing Darmani's soul with the song of healing. Same thing with the Butler's son. You sooth his soul with the song of healing and create the Deku mask. The only difference is that Darmani is a ghost who you knowingly help while the Butler's son is trapped in you who you accidentally help by trying to cure yourself. You can't take off the mask, because there is no mask, not until you learn the song of healing.

The Butler says his son left a long time ago, but if the theory's true then he just died, how is that possible? Just because he died just before Link met Skull Kid doesn't mean he left just before they met. He could have explored all of Termina before being killed by SK.

Reasons I think it's the Butler's son:

Every other mask has a soul, only makes sense the Deku mask has one too.

Tatl says they look similar despite the fact that all Deku shrubs look almost identical (other than those then player needs to be able to recognize, i.e. the King, Princess, Butler) hinting that there's either something about them or she knows something.

The Butler says Link reminds him of his son. The other masks make Link look like those who's souls made the mask so it makes sense that if this mask made Link look like the Butler's son then his soul was used. But then why doesn't anyone else recognize him? The Zoron mask is made with a member of a famous band and the Goron with Darmani who's obviously famous amongst gorons, but the Deku is just the Butler's son so the fact that the others a commonly recognized, but the Deku only by his father makes perfect sense. Who's going to remember the Butler's son who ran off years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom