• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda have Voice Actors?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Voice Acting is something that Zelda needs for the future, I think that the massive amount of text that is seen in a Zelda game is horridly outdated. However, I think that is only for the cutscenes. When you speak to normal people, you don't need to hear voice acting.

Oh, Link should talk. People are just not used to him talking, however, if he started talking I don't think people would baaawww for years to come
(unless the actor is real bad, but not much chance with Nintendo behind the reigns.) I mean, when Mario talked full sentences in Mario: Power Tennis did anyone care? Not really. The same can happen for Link and people would need to give it time.

Oh and in the parts where people say his name, just change the voice acting to say something like "my boy" or "pal" or etc.
Oh and I beat you all to it before you get a chance:
Mah_Boi_PDF_v2_by_HWO.jpg

Actually there already is voice acting. Midna talks in her weird language during the cutscene.

To be honest: If I can't understand a word that a character is saying, I don't call it voice acting. This is one reason I'll never be able to understand how some people think Japanese voice acting is somehow better than English voice acting. I can't understand Japanese, just like many people, so I fail to see how voice acting that you can't even understand is better.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
There was one set of voice acting in TP that I was able to make out. It was clear japanese when Shad was talking the "ancient language". It wasn't just babble, it was sentence that was just mumbled.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
Stuff like that I'll always accept as long as they're not clear English words or something of the sort. I suppose its just tradition. I mean, you guys saw what happened last time Zelda had voice acting, it was horrible! Dx!
I like Zelda voiceless, come on now, kids need to practice their reading!~ xD

Steve

5/19/13
I agree with Charge, for cutscenes, voice acting would be ideal for the experience. For gameplay, they can stick with the usual typed dialogue, and you will find that it is a common thing in many games. Voice acting gives more personality to characters, and without it they just seem lifeless, and I'm really sick of the same thing over and over. The Legend of Zelda is one of the few remaining series of Nintendo, not having voice acting; Mario, Starfox, Metroid, Sonic, and countless of other games do.

Waker of winds

Finally playing PH!
D: Gosh, I'm so careless!
I made a thread like this without ever noticing it already existed!
So sorry...

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to try it and see the reactions of the fans, but sincerely, voices (well, real words, not only cries and grunts) had never existed in a Zelda game, so a lot of people will not be happy with the change...

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
I agree with Charge, for cutscenes, voice acting would be ideal for the experience. For gameplay, they can stick with the usual typed dialogue, and you will find that it is a common thing in many games. Voice acting gives more personality to characters, and without it they just seem lifeless, and I'm really sick of the same thing over and over. The Legend of Zelda is one of the few remaining series of Nintendo, not having voice acting; Mario, Starfox, Metroid, Sonic, and countless of other games do.

I don't think voice is truly necessary, always makes me think that actions speak louder than words. Not to mention that, one can suppose were just a little hyterical of how the voices will actually turn out and such.

I can't believe some people actually want voice actors in a Zelda game. I think Link making a noise here and there (swinging his sword, falling, etc) is just fine. We didn't even have that before OoT. I could however deal with it if only a few characters talked along Link's quest.

Steve

5/19/13
I don't think voice is truly necessary, always makes me think that actions speak louder than words. Not to mention that, one can suppose were just a little hyterical of how the voices will actually turn out and such.

You can't really assume that without knowing how voices in Zelda would actually turn out. I can't recall in one Nintendo game, having voice acting, that the voices seemed out of place for the character, that's a bit judgmental. Also, actions speak louder than words? We're talking about changing written dialogue to spoken, typed words isn't much of an action, and to be honest it doesn't change much. Voices would certainly be better than those stupid grunts and gibberish words we get now, that's for sure.

I can't believe some people actually want voice actors in a Zelda game. I think Link making a noise here and there (swinging his sword, falling, etc) is just fine. We didn't even have that before OoT. I could however deal with it if only a few characters talked along Link's quest.
I don't think everyone is implying Link should have full dialogue, to be quite frank, I'd hate to see Link talk full sentences. That would be out of his character, regardless of voice acting or not.

D

Deku Scrub

I don't think everyone is implying Link should have full dialogue, to be quite frank, I'd hate to see Link talk full sentences. That would be out of his character, regardless of voice acting or not.
Yeah. Every Zelda fan would start playing and hear Link say something, and they'd go into extreme shock, but if he started chattering full sentences, they'd all drop dead. D:

I think it'd be cool to have voice acting, but not with Link. I like silent protagonists. If they don't talk, then they can't say anything awkward. ^_^

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Stuff like that I'll always accept as long as they're not clear English words or something of the sort. I suppose its just tradition. I mean, you guys saw what happened last time Zelda had voice acting, it was horrible! Dx!
I like Zelda voiceless, come on now, kids need to practice their reading!~ xD

You realize both examples of Zelda voice acting were done without Nintendo supervision right?

Plus the only time the lack of voice acting works, is in MM when "you" had to get attached to the characters, and in comediac moments. In the serious moments of Twilight Princess, the lack of voice acting was somewhat silly.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
Yeah. Every Zelda fan would start playing and hear Link say something, and they'd go into extreme shock, but if he started chattering full sentences, they'd all drop dead. D:

I think it'd be cool to have voice acting, but not with Link. I like silent protagonists. If they don't talk, then they can't say anything awkward. ^_^

xDD For the sake of awkwardness?
I dunno, I think I'd blink and stare at he screen for about 10 minutes...to take in what Link just said. I mean, it was that bad in WW, when ever he said "Come on!" because it was short and sweet but....if he said more, I dunno. x.x;;

B

Bloot

To be honest: If I can't understand a word that a character is saying, I don't call it voice acting. This is one reason I'll never be able to understand how some people think Japanese voice acting is somehow better than English voice acting. I can't understand Japanese, just like many people, so I fail to see how voice acting that you can't even understand is better.

I so agree with you! Japanese voice acting may SOUND better to some people, but really unless you speak the language you don't get the full extent of what they're saying. That's why I prefer dubbing. In actuality, a dubbed version of something is supposed to be entirely different from the subbed work; it's a new piece introduced for the benefit of American audiences. Just like if an American game were released in Japan they would dub it in order to make it understandable to their audiences. I don't get how people don't understand that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom