• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Having More Bosses Outside of Dungeons?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So I was thinking the other day about how we only get to experience boss fights within the actual dungeons, now excluding a few bosses or the mini boss fight outside of a dungeon we never get to experience a full boss battle outside of the Dungeons.

Now in my opinion a big problem with bosses is how structured they seem to be...Now in fact I was thinking about this the other day and I came to the conclusion that having the boss at the end of a Dungeon can limit the bosses potential. For example a boss usually represents the theme of the dungeon, having a boss outside of set dungeon will allow for new maybe more diverse boss design's. Another limitation is that the Dungeon item we aquire is usually the main attack point of the boss which in my opinion takes away from the skill as well as figuring out the bosses weakpoints. Lastly is that Dungeon boss fights take place in the Dungeon boss stage, it is rare we will see a boss stage take place in a more open or unique area.

So what do you guys think about the idea of having more bosses outside of Dungeons?

Last edited:
There's only one problem I see with having a boss battle in the open Overworld-- the ability to, at any time, simply run away. Unless you were to create a barrier or make the boss fast enough to catch up, in which case it could very well work. I'd be very interested to see how it would play out.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I believe this is a good idea, and it isn't difficult to fully attain.

TP attempted to do this with the recurring King Bulbin mini boss fight, but to me, it lacked some real variety, as two of the separate times were a bit copy-paste with minor changes, and the one battle in the field (though I personally enjoy that one very much). Epic boss fights are tough. I'd love to see a giant Golem or creature rise out of the sand in the Gerudo Desert. That would've been intense and awesome, if done the right way. Or maybe a giant plant slowly develops and grows in the forest as you go through, and you resume fighting it and it changes up every time you fight it. There are a lot of possibilities, and they could all be employed well, but it could get...messy.

For one, the overworld is escapable, but there is an easy solution of barriers or a NEED to do it in order to progress. Say the giant creature blocked the path to the next village or something? Or maybe it drops an item you need? Quick solution for that. There is no boss door or anything, its just there, and you can come back and tackle it any time.

Now, as for Boss Battling Dynamics. It does seem that when you figure out the system, it gets very simple after a while, and that it might only throw a couple new things to throw you off guard, but those are easy to figure out too (think of the Girahim battle). I like the idea of the boss fighting being more than just hack-and-slash, just slicing random parts of the creature til its dead, like in most games. The reason I like Nintendo is because it makes its bosses a part of the puzzles. I just wish it would be a harder puzzle at times.

Overall, its a possible idea, not too difficult, and should be implemented in games to come.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's a plausible idea, but like y'all were getting at, past attempts weren't really done right. Scripted boss events need to be handled in a way where their coming isn't predictable. What that entails is:
- Nicely done story (obviously)
- Losing has dire effects, either on story or on the player
- Out-of-dungeon boss battles have got to be a LOT tougher than their stereotypical indoors variants.

I trust Nintendo can do it. It just takes a bit of application is all. ;)

If its scripted then sure, i'd love to see it, it'd be nice to be running through your first playthrough then suddenly holy **** where the **** how the **** is that! which is what Zelda is missing really :P

outside battles are awesome and can use a lot of the area like SotC, in fact since SotC ive wanted a Zelda to shamelessly just emulate it because playing SotC made me wish it was Zelda and playing Zelda made me wish it was SotC and so i want the happy inbetweeny bit that smashing them together would bring me, the flying Colossi were a sight to behold and very exhilarating to take on and then take out if Zelda could have better realised bosses in places where they could really shine, like the overworld, then i'd be all over that in a heartbeat and would most likely love it.

So yeah give us some outdoors boss battles but have them scripted, ive played too many a jrpg where i was cautiously taking my battered self to a safe location only to be assualted by a level 95 partycrasher when i was at level ten.. keep things like that away.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I think that this would a fantastic idea. We were kind of promised something similar for SS sword but good old Nintendo once again never kept their promises.

I think Nintendo could maybe take a leaf out of Resident Evil 2's B side story when you are essentially stalked by an unbeatable creature who keeps popping up from time to time with little to no warning whatsoever. Eventually you're in a room just minding your own business when
it crashes through a wall and you're forced to face off against it.

Although in Legend of Zelda's case, each one of these encounters would be with a different creature and they would of course have a weakness. I think the battles with the Imprisoned were a step in the right direction but lacked the "wtf do I do now" moment of a random encounter. The only time that I had one of those was en route looking for the ship when you encounter Moldarach. The problem is that he's even easier to defeat than he was the first time around.

Personally, I think the main problem with implementing something like this in the past was the limitations of the console that the game was created for but with the Wii-U, this is now an option Nintendo should consider integrating into future Zelda titles.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, in many ways bosses don't really take place in dungeons. They usually take place in new rooms and enviroments we never actually went through before. Think about it, bosses like Argorok, Gyorg, Phantom Ganon, and a hundred other all were fought in creative new rooms within a dungeon. There may not be many boss battles in areas you travel through before, but it really hasn't held the series back.

M

Muley69

I think that this would a fantastic idea. We were kind of promised something similar for SS sword but good old Nintendo once again never kept their promises.

Huh?

What do you call the Imprisoned and the Parasite Bilocyte?

Big Octo

=^)
Certainly. It would be interesting to have both required boos battles outside of dungeons as well as some optional ones. It would also be neat I'd the difficulty was cranked up considerably for the optional bosses to serve as a challenge to the advanced player.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I definitely think having more Bosses outside of Dungeons is a good thing. Twilight Princess did this in a very minor way with the King Bulblin fights, but that's not what I'm mainly talking about. Both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks had some sort of Boss fight in the Overworld, and while these weren't fill fledged Boss fights, I think these are heading in the right direction.

Having a full out Boss in the Faron Woods would definitely be cool. This is because of two reasons:

1: This surprise element. Bosses are always expected at the end of dungeons, but they're never expected in the middle of exploring Hyrule Field. Having Boss fights in the game would make the game much more unexpected. This would in turn make the game a lot more fun.

2: Gigantic monsters are cool. Getting as many giant monsters to fight in a game is ALWAYS good, no matter what. And hey, the monsters don't even have to be big. But if they're awesome and badass, what's to lose?

ssbawesome

The Eigth Sage
I remember in Minish Cap you had to fight those Moblins outside the castle, but that's as close as we've gotten to a boss outside a dungeon, I think.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I agree with Rutela, make it scripted; Peep this! what if...... every area you go to thats new to you in your current playthrough you have to fight a boss to be able to come and go as you please. i havent thought this through all the way so there may be holes. But what if the land of Hyrule was overtaken by monsters as it is in every other game, but for each area there is this giant monster controlling the area and the smaller monsters with in it. and to progress through the game you have to rid each area of the Monster that is controlling that area. Basically instead of solving a puzzle to open the fast travel point in that area, you have to defeat the monster to open up that area and be able to do the things you need to do in said area.

combine that with all the dungeons and the bosses within them, and we have a game full of bosses and action. I dont know just a thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom