• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Do You Miss The Magically Magical Magic Meter?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Zelda II was the only game to really nail the Magic Meter. A Link to the Past used it pretty well, Ocarina of Time didn't benefit nor suffer from it, Majora's Mask used it better than ALttP but not better than Zelda II, and The Wind Waker used like balls. It hasn't ever been a very defining feature of the series. So, no, I don't miss it. (Although I wouldn't mind seeing it again.)

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
The one thing I don't about the MMMM is that mine is always full in ALTTP, MM, OOT, etc. And when I really need Rupees or Recovery Hearts, I find Magic Jars.

Kirino

Tatakae
The magic meter was okay. I don't really miss it, and it really wasn't used all that well. I wouldn't mind it coming back if Nintendo can improve it. I actually think a magic meter could be really good if used well enough. I can just imagine all the possible spells and uses.

EDIT: I don't like the mechanical direction the series is going! It makes the games horribly simplistic! D:
How?
In Skyward Sword, you had the Mining Factory, which was 95% mechanics. Skyward takes place before Ocarina. In Ocarina, the most mechanical thing there is happens to be the Hookshot. So what, was there some failure in the technology within the few hundred year gap in the timeline?

All the technology in SS that you're talking about was in the past, which was only accessible through timeshift stones. In the future, everything was broken down, so all the technology and advancements in Lanayru were gone. In SS, the surface was mostly uncivilized and had very little technology.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
All the technology in SS that you're talking about was in the past, which was only accessible through timeshift stones. In the future, everything was broken down, so all the technology and advancements in Lanayru were gone. In SS, the surface was mostly uncivilized and had very little technology.

What I'm saying is that in the past, the technology is all WOW!, but in the future, it's all broken. Then hundreds of years later Ocarina takes place, but their technology is even lower than the technology in the future part of Skyward Sword. So when did all the technology fail?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Absolutely not. The magic meter was one of the worst, if the THE worst thing to be put in LoZ. It's a horribly annoying and irking limit on gameplay and I never want to see it return. If they want to bring back elemental arrows, then fine, if they want to bring back "spells" then...fine. But they need a new way to limit it. I was fine with ST's "charging" the arrows aspect, but I would rather see the series go back to N64 graphics, enemies that hit 1/16 hearts, and 5x tWW sailing than have that blasted thing come back.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?

Has anyone else thought that perhaps the establishment of Hyrule/Hylian society by the young residents of Skyloft may have resulted in the introduction of magic as used in later games into the world? The technological society of Lanayru province seems to be a product of the three goddesses, and obviously has become obsolete. There didn't seem to be any non-mechanical intelligent beings in that time, and even the robots only have a limited intelligence. They have a very programmed, tool/AI feel to them, which supports the idea that they were simply created by the three goddesses (or just by Nayru). Once they had fulfilled their purpose they were allowed to die out, and the establishment of humanoid intelligent populations with the ability to harness magic allowed for a more technologically primitive society to emerge and advanced mechanisms were no longer as prevalent. This also supports the existence of highly technical artifacts that continue to appear even in this less technological society, like the hookshot.

Kirino

Tatakae
What I'm saying is that in the past, the technology is all WOW!, but in the future, it's all broken. Then hundreds of years later Ocarina takes place, but their technology is even lower than the technology in the future part of Skyward Sword. So when did all the technology fail?

The technology in the present part of SS was practically nonexistent.

Has anyone else thought that perhaps the establishment of Hyrule/Hylian society by the young residents of Skyloft may have resulted in the introduction of magic as used in later games into the world? The technological society of Lanayru province seems to be a product of the three goddesses, and obviously has become obsolete. There didn't seem to be any non-mechanical intelligent beings in that time, and even the robots only have a limited intelligence. They have a very programmed, tool/AI feel to them, which supports the idea that they were simply created by the three goddesses (or just by Nayru). Once they had fulfilled their purpose they were allowed to die out, and the establishment of humanoid intelligent populations with the ability to harness magic allowed for a more technologically primitive society to emerge and advanced mechanisms were no longer as prevalent. This also supports the existence of highly technical artifacts that continue to appear even in this less technological society, like the hookshot.

It is said (hinted) in-game that Hylia played a role in the creation of the ancient robots. The game also seems to suggest that she was a masterful pioneer of technological advancement during her time, and her status and ingenuity has left an indelible mark on the history of Hyrule. The technology of the past in Skyward Sword appears to be Nintendo's way of playing off of the concept of highly-advanced technologies of real-world ancient civilizations such as the Mayans, ancient Egypt, and the fabled sucken kingdom of Atlantis—albeit with a magically magical twist...

On topic: I tend to agree with Xinnamin in regards to the magically magical magic meter; this has to be the most redundant thing I have ever laid eyes upon. However, I also agree that it is not so much as I miss the magic meter as it is that I miss magic spells. Bring back spells as a means of necessitating the magic meter, and... problem solved. It is only under these terms that I'd be content with the idea.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
In the new Zelda Wii U, the Magic Meter should be used, but have tons of more usage.

These spells should return:
Ether
Bombos
Quake
Din's Fire
Nayru's Love
Farore's Wind

Here's a few that I just thought of:
Flight (you can fly across a gap, but only us to a certain length)
Invisiblity (you can stay invisible for 30 seconds)
Weakness (lets you see an enemies' weak point for a few seconds)'

Would this add or take away from the experience. I think it would add to it. Using a few in each dungeon would be nice.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Short Answer Yes! I would really like to see it return.

Long answer. I grew up Playing ALttP a lot. and that game used the meter very well. I love all the spells from that game, and items, like the canes that use magic. I like all the Spells that arrived with OoT. I think The Magic Meter could make a great return in a new game. Like i have said in another thread. Its time for them to go all out and make the Ultimate Zelda game. and the WiiU is their first tool to makeing a bigger better game!

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'm with Xinnamin, it's not so much I want the magic meter back so much as I want spells back.

Don't get me wrong, I love the increasingly mechanical feel of the games, it's making them into something more than just a stereotypical medieval fantasy, which I find boring. However, I do want to be able to shoot fire and lightning from my hands again! I think certain things to have come along since then, such as the stamina meter, make more sense and are better integrated. However, I do want the ability to shoot ice arrows and envelop myself in a ball of fire again, because that's awesome. I would want the creators to integrate both magic and high technology together in a cohesive manner.

Perhaps they could pull this off by integrating magic spells into the weapons upgrade system, where if you find a certain rare stone you can add it to your bow or whip or whatever and add that magical ability to it. This can be switched out for other spells at the forgery. Yeah I think this can work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom