• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time What Did You Dislike About OoT

Yes, this bothered me! I went through all that trouble to save the Zora and what not and then in the end, nothing, the ice didn't melt, and it said that the evil creature in the Water Temple was the cause of it, so naturally one would think that after its gone that the ice would melt. We come back after all that trouble to see....ice still. We didn't save the Zora (perhaps maybe the King and the shop keeper) its still frozen!
I feel like I did that for nothing, I'd say.

I felt the same way for a long time after completing the Water Temple. I was always like, "Did they forget something here?" But perhaps they were thinking more on their feet than we realized. The creature (or Morpha), was said to be the cause. It probably didn't take much time at all to completely freeze the place, and even if it did, that was a seven year period.

Think about it: If it took seven years to completely freeze Zora's Domain and Jabu Jabu's place, then it wouldn't automatically unfreeze once Morpha was defeated. And even if it didn't take that long, there's really nothing there to unfreeze it. It is obviously going to take a lot longer than Link uses to complete the rest of the dungeons to unfreeze the place. So eventually it gets to that point, we just don't get to see it.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
I felt the same way for a long time after completing the Water Temple. I was always like, "Did they forget something here?" But perhaps they were thinking more on their feet than we realized. The creature (or Morpha), was said to be the cause. It probably didn't take much time at all to completely freeze the place, and even if it did, that was a seven year period.

Think about it: If it took seven years to completely freeze Zora's Domain and Jabu Jabu's place, then it wouldn't automatically unfreeze once Morpha was defeated. And even if it didn't take that long, there's really nothing there to unfreeze it. It is obviously going to take a lot longer than Link uses to complete the rest of the dungeons to unfreeze the place. So eventually it gets to that point, we just don't get to see it.

That would still bug me because the place that Zora's Domain was located wasn't a naturally cold place. It was mild and one can even saw warm due to its partial proximity to Death Mountain (Ya know the volcano...hot, hot? :3)
And if I recall, it said that the ice wasn't normal, that it self up by some evil spell. Would that still mean that once the spell was broken....the ice had to still melt at an extremely low pace? =/

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
So eventually it gets to that point, we just don't get to see it.

I always thought this as well, but its still a bit disappointing. If there was more of a sign of it beginning, it might have been better. I also returned expected great things and to be congratulated by everyone, and yet it was still frozen.

I often wondered if this is why the Zora's are frozen in TP. I don't mean in terms of story or timelines but rather so gamers had a chance to free them and be rewarded for their accomplishment since it was missed out in OoT.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
I just ranted on this in a TP thread- here goes.

You know, it's this kind of "too easy" thing that I never really get. When I think of Ocarina of Time, I think aimless sessions trying to figure out what the heck to do next, enemies shoving me off ledges, a camera that didn't even try to work automatically, dreary dungeons with generic elemental themes, generic objects of power, a crushing lack of realism (temples are just friggin' deathtraps), and a painfully simple combat system.

Okay, yeah, it was epic for its time. It certainly holds up today, too, but it just comes up short. Besides its contributions to Hyrule's history, it's story came across as pretty generic since you had pretty much three or four major plot points- leaving Kokiri Forest, getting the Stones and MS, the apocalypse, and defeating Ganon, but the pacing was abysmal- you spend a whopping five dungeons doing absolutely nothing but finding dungeon X and getting medallion Y- nothing ever really happens except at those four major points.

On the other hand, Twilight Princess had sidequests and story development between nearly every dungeon, and even the optional, non-story-related quests were characterized so well that it really felt like you were getting something done. The characters were people, not ATMs full of generic exposition and stuff. Say what you will about OoT's so-called "epic feel", but I've never been too attached to Zelda games without real progression and characterization.

One more thing- OoT, being the first 3D Zelda, while adapting remarkably well to the new medium, still contained gameplay relics from the handhelds and S/NES games, including dungeon rooms constructed in a way that rarely took advantage of the third dimension of height, unlike WW and TP's dungeon design. The monotonous "swing a sword when they're vulnerable" or "use item X" combat formula from the 2Ds was also mostly unchanged.

OoT was graduating from an era of games that had little to no story or characterization, and a format that emphasized precisely-executed strategies over creativity and breathtaking fun. While TP's bosses were easy, they were doubtless much more fun than previous bosses which required lightning-fast reflexes to survive. TP's bosses aren't so much challenges as climactic and exhilarating finishes to the dungeon experience- more of a reward than a final hurdle.

And, um, fifty characters for some reason.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
I always thought this as well, but its still a bit disappointing. If there was more of a sign of it beginning, it might have been better. I also returned expected great things and to be congratulated by everyone, and yet it was still frozen.

I often wondered if this is why the Zora's are frozen in TP. I don't mean in terms of story or timelines but rather so gamers had a chance to free them and be rewarded for their accomplishment since it was missed out in OoT.

Okay, I'd say that's a little stretch because TP happens how many years after OoT, there is just no way that ice could take THAT long to melt. Specially because again, the place where Zora's Domain is, is not naturally cold. =/

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Okay, I'd say that's a little stretch because TP happens how many years after OoT, there is just no way that ice could take THAT long to melt. Specially because again, the place where Zora's Domain is, is not naturally cold. =/

I know. I actually said in my post "not in terms of story or timelines". IE - it is not linked storywise at all. I just meant that maybe it was done because it was a complaint about OoT. This way, when you accomplished something to the same effect in TP, it actually had an effect in game. It made up for the lack of reward in OoT as such.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
I know. I actually said in my post "not in terms of story or timelines". IE - it is not linked storywise at all. I just meant that maybe it was done because it was a complaint about OoT. This way, when you accomplished something to the same effect in TP, it actually had an effect in game. It made up for the lack of reward in OoT as such.

Okay, I'm sticking to that answer then, its the one that makes the most sense if we don't combine the story lines and such but then....wait....okay, I went back and watched the ending film to OoT and it shows several placed in Hyrule. The one that I was looking for was there, too, Zora's Domain was unfrozen. Okay and sure, you'll tell me, they're just showing places in Hyrule but I tell you this: right after Zora's Domain was Kokiri forest where the little tree was now growing. That leads me to believe that this is the tstate of Zora's Domain AFTER it has been saved.
So again, back to the "yeah it melts, you're just not around to actually see it un frozen in game time" Also, there are Zora in that weird party that they're having at LonLon Ranch, so yeah.
Makes sense to you?

the iron boots in the water temple. i hated how you had to pause the game and unequip the boots and then you had to keep on doing the same thing over and over again.

and also hyrule field was really bare compared to TP.

If anything....I would just have to say it didn't have the original overworld music and no sword beam attack.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
no sword beam attack.

My friend and I were talking about this one just a few days ago and I said that in a 3D type of setting, something like this would be useless. Think about it: Link can now move quickly around him self to get all of the enemies around him self, in this 3D setting the enemies move a lot quicker which means that they can easily move out of the way of the beam and such.
That's just how I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom