• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do You Want ZeldaU to Be a Light-Hearted Game or Dark?

Deeds

no text
I think they should have a very light hearted beginning with you maybe investigating things in the woods or something and then you see your world get torn apart and you have to save
Sounds very *ahem* familiar.
I get were you're coming from, though. I'd like to see something along those lines to, but obviously not exactly. As, if you didn't catch my drift, it sounds a bit like Majora's Mask beginning, haha.

Skunk

Floof
I think a game that's on more of a middle ground that can shift between one element or the other based upon the story or environment would be best.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Sounds very *ahem* familiar.
I get were you're coming from, though. I'd like to see something along those lines to, but obviously not exactly. As, if you didn't catch my drift, it sounds a bit like Majora's Mask beginning, haha.

It sounds like MM, OOT, and TP.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Well, I personally would not call Ocarina of Time a light-hearted game; that's a bit of an exagerration. You have to look at what goes on in the game other then just the "atmosphere". In OoT an entire race of people was imprisoned in a mountain and an entire town was turned into a zombie-haven. I wonder what happened to all of those people in castle town? Anyways, I could continue but I shan't.

That aside(which I had no reason to say that at all, but still), I would much prefer a darker themed Zelda game, much like the wind waker(without the artstyle) or Majora's Mask, with less of the somewhat kiddy elements. I don't find anything in Zelda "kiddy", but sometimes their are things that are a bit much in Zelda. Case in point, the snot kid in WW.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The great thing about the dearth of tidings on Zelda U is that we get to speculate on it. But there was a preview from before on what the Wii U was capable of, and it involved Zelda. Yes, I am referring to the Tech Demo, which features a High Definition remake of Twilight Princess Link in an entirely different encounter with Armogohma. The aesthetics were amazingly realistic; so much that I really hope and pray that Nintendo decides to use them. If the Tech Demo proves to be true, then it served not only as an exhibition for the Wii U's capacity, but it was a premonition for the next design system in Zelda U.

1zbq58m.jpg

Whoa! Nice Graphics!

Probably means I'm in favor of a "darker" Zelda title, but we'll have to see what the future holds.

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
I love both the light hearted and dark Zelda games, since we just got Skyward Sword which was very light hearted, and how I miss the dark feel of Zelda games, I definitely want it to have a Majora's Mask/Twilight Princess/(Ocarina of Time) feel to the game, I want it with realistic art style as well like the Zelda Wii U tech demo (which is pretty much a Twilight Princess art style), I want the characters around the world to have emotion (like Majora's Mask) and I wouldn't mind a dark minded partner (like Midna).

Lord Carlisle

Well, I personally would not call Ocarina of Time a light-hearted game; that's a bit of an exagerration. You have to look at what goes on in the game other then just the "atmosphere". In OoT an entire race of people was imprisoned in a mountain and an entire town was turned into a zombie-haven. I wonder what happened to all of those people in castle town? Anyways, I could continue but I shan't.

That aside(which I had no reason to say that at all, but still), I would much prefer a darker themed Zelda game, much like the wind waker(without the artstyle) or Majora's Mask, with less of the somewhat kiddy elements. I don't find anything in Zelda "kiddy", but sometimes their are things that are a bit much in Zelda. Case in point, the snot kid in WW.

Or that dancing Deku Tree.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Or that dancing Deku Tree.

Yeah, exactly, like the dancing deku tree. Or the little kids in Majora's Mask, you know, the Bomber's gang. Or even Princess Agitha from Twilight Princess or the little baby Goron in Twilight Princess. See, I just pointed out childish things from the "darkest" entries in the series.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Kinda off topic...but I just don't see how Majora's Mask is that dark. On paper it looks dark, but in practice...I just don't feel it. Well Zelda's a dark series overall, and MM is no exception, but I'm just amazed how upbeat the game feels when playing it. Most damningly of all is how upbeat Castle Town feels. This is the main hub and the center of all the suffering and pain the game has...and yet...it just looks so upbeat with cheerful kids, aloof construction workers, entertainers, Tingle, and the bright happy music. The only real dark stuff (Anju and Kafei sidequest) is downplayed and only seen by REALLY digging deep into the game. Sometimes the game became appallingly light spirited. Like during Mikau's death where it's dark and sad--but bam, suddenly Mikau starts dancing and singing like crazy. I don't know...my reaction was just..."Ummmm...this guy is DYING right?"

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Kinda off topic...but I just don't see how Majora's Mask is that dark. On paper it looks dark, but in practice...I just don't feel it. Well Zelda's a dark series overall, and MM is no exception, but I'm just amazed how upbeat the game feels when playing it. Most damningly of all is how upbeat Castle Town feels. This is the main hub and the center of all the suffering and pain the game has...and yet...it just looks so upbeat with cheerful kids, aloof construction workers, entertainers, Tingle, and the bright happy music. The only real dark stuff (Anju and Kafei sidequest) is downplayed and only seen by REALLY digging deep into the game. Sometimes the game became appallingly light spirited. Like during Mikau's death where it's dark and sad--but bam, suddenly Mikau starts dancing and singing like crazy. I don't know...my reaction was just..."Ummmm...this guy is DYING right?"

That's exactly what I meant with my reply to Lord Carlslie; there's light-hearted things in every Zelda, even the so-called darker ones. You can't just say that a game is light-hearted from one thing, it has to be a wide spectrum that engulfs the entire game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

Well, this is kinda in relation to the topic, but what you're talking about was the huge sense of irony that pervaded Clcok Town. While the world was obviously facing an impending doom, and everyone outside of the town was trembling in fear, Clock Town decided to buck the trend and continue with their [meaningless] traditions and customs.

And, that's an irony that could happen in Zelda U. :)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well, this is kinda in relation to the topic, but what you're talking about was the huge sense of irony that pervaded Clcok Town. While the world was obviously facing an impending doom, and everyone outside of the town was trembling in fear, Clock Town decided to buck the trend and continue with their [meaningless] traditions and customs.

And, that's an irony that could happen in Zelda U. :)

Actually, amazingly, that's another thing that struck me odd...the only person who cared outside of castle town was Cremia. Romani didn't know and Grog didn't care (about the moon itself that is). The people at the swamp were more concerned with the princess. The people on the mountain were more concerned with the cold. The people on the ocean were more concerned with the eggs. The people in the canyon were more concerned with being alive. I can only assume the moon was only going to reach Clocktown or something because man...nobody else even seemed to mention it outside the ranch.

Lord Carlisle

Yeah, exactly, like the dancing deku tree. Or the little kids in Majora's Mask, you know, the Bomber's gang. Or even Princess Agitha from Twilight Princess or the little baby Goron in Twilight Princess. See, I just pointed out childish things from the "darkest" entries in the series.

Well, I agree that Agitha was out of place. But the Bomber's Gang and the baby Gorons weren't. Of course the Gorons should have younger offspring.

Still, I don't think Zelda should be completely serious and morbid. It should always retain that somewhat cartoonish aspect. (Groose, guards at the TP tavern, etc.)

Actually, amazingly, that's another thing that struck me odd...the only person who cared outside of castle town was Cremia. Romani didn't know and Grog didn't care (about the moon itself that is). The people at the swamp were more concerned with the princess. The people on the mountain were more concerned with the cold. The people on the ocean were more concerned with the eggs. The people in the canyon were more concerned with being alive. I can only assume the moon was only going to reach Clocktown or something because man...nobody else even seemed to mention it outside the ranch.

You have to remember that the moon and all that chaos came from the same source, so they're related.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom