• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Xeerneas a New Type?

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
So not too long ago in another thread here, there was discussion about what type the two legendaries were. Many people were saying it was something like grass/steel, grass/psychic, and other stuff like that. I later got to thinking that since there was so much difference in the types being thrown out there, maybe it's a new type. It would make sense if it was a light type, to me at least. It has a lot of white on it and its horns have differing colors sort of like a rainbow or something of that nature. What do you think? Do you think Xeerneas is a new type or just the same types as before?

A Light type was proposed at several points in this past, and was determined that its inclusion would break the game....

...I surmise that no new types will be introduced; however, there will likely be a managerie of new type combinations to be found, one of which will probably belong to Xerneas. Your inquiry has piqued my curiosity, though... (what new types could there possibly be, if any?)

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
Why would a Light type break the game? They could make it work with alittle focus and testing.

Light

Strong vs

Dark,Ice,Light,Ghost and Water

Weak vs

Light,Normal,Steel,Ground and Rock

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
A Light type was proposed at several points in this past, and was determined that its inclusion would break the game....
Source?

I think it's possible that they could include a new type in the sixth generation. A light type sounds quite plausible, especially with the way Xeerneas appears and acts. Although I'm not certain on how likely that'll occur, I could definitely see this legendary being a dual type. Which types, I really don't know, but I see it as a high probability.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Why would a Light type break the game? They could make it work with alittle focus and testing.
Would cause havoc for the competitive field, as well as general confusion for the core pokemon player population. Inclusion this late in the series would cause for major type unbalance, likely either encouraging an over-representation of the new type in the 6th gen pokemon and moves (bad gameplay balance) or retconning of old pokemon to include the new type (HORRIBLE idea, havoc and confusion ensue). Saying it would break the game is kinda bad wording, but it would still be an awful idea for a series this established imo.

As far as Xerneas is concerned, it's not unthinkable that its appearance does not immediately give off its type. For example, I would have NEVER pinned Palkia as a water type. There's no need to make a Light type just so it would fit appearance-wise.

xerneas.png

Giving off a psychic vibe...

As to the supposed "Light type", "broken" is the perfect word to describe what its inclusion would do to the games. The term "broken" in the world of gaming simply refers to something that could cause some MAJOR balance issues. Types are only added to the games to FIX balance issues, not because "omg it wud be so c00l if!!!!1!11uno!"; Dark and Steel types were introduced in Gen II for this very reason.

While scouring the internet, I have stumbled upon numerous topics concerning the fallacies of including a Light type - many of which Xinnamin has explained for us (thanks ;j). To give you the benefit of the doubt, I'll just come out and say... The only way that I'd be in favor of a Light type is if the kinks are ironed out and it actually helps to balance the games, not ruin them...

Having looked at Xerneas, I look at it as a Psychic/Steel Type. I know that typing has been done before, but I just can't put my finger on any other type except maybe Grass. I have my doubts a new Type will be introduced for the same reason the members above have stated and too add to that, I can't really think of any moves to go with the Light Type, at least not any decent ones. I don't think moves like Light Beam, Light Ball etc. are enough to cut it.

Another thing that popped into my head was the idea that Psychic kinda represents Light slightly and I believe the moves Light screen and reflect support this. I think this is the case not because it has the word 'Light' in the moves name, It's because A. As far as I'm aware, Light Screen and reflect is not caused by Psychic powers and B. A wide range of non-Psychic Pokémon can learn this move. I think this strongly suggests that these two moves aren't exactly Psychic type moves but more like Light moves. However to reduce the hassle of creating a new Type and throwing things off balance, let alone the lack of other light based moves, I think the Pokémon Company just settled with merging light with Psychic and just leaving us with Psychic.

Last edited:

Deeds

no text
Off of first glance, like Vaati said, I'd have thought that Xerneas is either steel or psychic. Maybe even a cross, because I doubt it would be a Normal Legendary. Thinking about it, I'd like it to be either Steel/Psychic/Dark. That would be awesome.

Like you've said, though, it could be a completely new type. That wouldn't suprise me, because for me - it doesn't fit perfectly into the type categories we're aware of now. Other Pokemon fit perfectly for me, though.

The polychromatic color scheme of its antlers appears to suggest a surfeit of various types. However, that does not necessarily mean that it will boast multiple types simultaneously. It is more probable, though, that it might have a means to switch between different types in a similar fashion to Arceus (via Plates).

xerneas.png

Taking a look at its antlers, if my theory is correct, then... the first set of antlers (the orange ones) are the same color that is associated with Fire types. Following this convention, we have the next sets... red (Fighting), purple (Poison), and blue (Water).

If this proves true, then we can surmise that Yveltal could very well share a similar means of changing its type as its opposing version counterpart.

EDIT: Hold the presses... upon closer inspection, Xerneas' antlers are more colorful than I originally thought. Each set of horns appear to follow a gradient. I distinctly detect yellow, pink, lavendar(?), and what appears be... I dunno... periwinkle(?) on the lower section of each set, respectfully. If said colors fit my hypothetical type convention in any way, then each one would represent Electric, Psychic, Ghost(0_o?), and Ice(?), respectfully. Hmm... perhaps it can use all types..? :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kybyrian

I don't think that Xerneas will be a new type, and I don't think it's a good idea to introduce a new type into the series at all. It would be a terrible idea for the competitive field and veterans of the game. It would throw a lot of things off balance and really change the meta - likely the for the worse. We already have such an abundance of types; a new one is not needed at this point. It would be best if they left Xerneas as an existing type, and I think that's exactly what they'll do.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'm in agreement with the others, a new type would throw things way outta whack. Especially considering that they would need to make some older Pokemon Light-type to populate the typing, or make a bunch of the new ones Light type which would throw off the balance for the new generation. Unless it would be used to fix some glaring hole like what happened with the Psychic types (and I can't see any hole in the current set; even the all-powerful Dragon types are weak against other dragons and ice, and can't do much damage to Steels) I don't see the point.

From where I see it the 17 types work together quite gracefully to make a system I have come to deem "perfectly imbalanced". A perfectly balanced system has all its parts completely even with the other parts, but as a result is kinda bland and uninteresting on the meta level. Think water-earth-fire-air. But the way Pokemon types are set up, there are some that have certain advantages, like Dragon types having access to extremely strong moves and Steel types having a lot of resistances. These slight imbalances cause certain strategies to be developed among trainers, which cause OTHER trainers to use strategies that counter and work against the first trainer's strategy due to some critical weakness in his typing (like ice and fighting); and so on and so forth until it gets to the point where any one strategy may be entirely advantageous or disadvantageous depending on what the other person does, with no one strategy coming out as a clear winner above all others. A system in perfect imbalance.

And besides that, there are still a lot of dual-typings that have yet to happen, like a fire-water type or a dark-psychic type. I'd like to see even more experimentation on that; Golurk, Volcarona, Galvantula, and Hydreigon are among my favorites now precisely because of the wacky typings.

*EDIT* SON OF A- well crap I guess my whole argument's moot now. Now we HAVE to figure out how to make this Fairy typing work within the current setting, because so far all I can see is it's just meant to break the Dragon types.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
EDIT: Hold the presses... upon closer inspection, Xerneas' antlers are more colorful than I originally thought. Each set of horns appear to follow a gradient. I distinctly detect yellow, pink, lavendar(?), and what appears be... I dunno... periwinkle(?) on the lower section of each set, respectfully. If said colors fit my hypothetical type convention in any way, then each one would represent Electric, Psychic, Ghost(0_o?), and Ice(?), respectfully. Hmm... perhaps it can use all types..? :hmm:

Are you surprised? I'm pretty sure there's already a Pokemon that changes its type depending on certain items its holding or if it's holding one at all.

Would cause havoc for the competitive field, as well as general confusion for the core pokemon player population. Inclusion this late in the series would cause for major type unbalance, likely either encouraging an over-representation of the new type in the 6th gen pokemon and moves (bad gameplay balance) or retconning of old pokemon to include the new type (HORRIBLE idea, havoc and confusion ensue). Saying it would break the game is kinda bad wording, but it would still be an awful idea for a series this established imo.

I agree that it would be a bad idea overall, but given how Steel and Dark moves weren't insanely prevalent in Gen II (and given how Dark moves STILL aren't very prevalent), I doubt an over-representation of any kind would happen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom