• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U: How Many Dungeons Do You Wanna See?

How many dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?

• 4 or Less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-7

• 8-10

• 11 or 12

• More than 12!!!

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I do the dungeons because they are fun. But what does this have to do with ordering?

Sorry, that's just a thing with me...going out of order in a game is like reading chapter three in a book before reading chapter one and then skipping to chapter seven.
Well, you have fun doing dungeons right? Well, why not do different orders to (potentially) have more fun with that? It's not like doing dungeon 1 should and can only open up dungeon 2. Remember, this is The Legend of Zelda, not a schooling system or Mario. In school, you can't jump straight to Calculus III (the final dungeon), you have to do Algebra I (dungeon 1) then Algebra 2 (Dungeon 2), possibly Alg 3 (Dungeon 3?) if your school offers it or go to PreCal (Dungeon 3/4), then Cal I (Dungeon 5), Cal II (Dungeon 6) then FINALLY you can do Cal III (Dungeon 7).

TLoZ is supposed to offer us a world (or at least, that was one of the intents with the original game), and part of a world is being able to explore, do things our own way. Of course there will be limits (maybe you can't do the final dungeon before the preceding ten or so dungeons), but beyond that why should I be restricted to doing things in the same order each and every playthrough?

I do like your analogy to reading books, but dungeons aren't and shouldn't be sequential like that in my opinion. ;)

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
LoZ's dungeon order isn't completely freeform. You have to do level 3 to get the raft so you can get to level 4 and the step ladder, which is basically required for every other dungeon after. Level 7 and 8 require a certain level of foolishness or masochism to do before reaching a certain critical mass of heart containers. Your point is taken that it's more open than almost every other title, but the equipment selection will never be as simple, either. They were mostly hack and slash affairs.

I'm genreally in favor of fixed sequence because I want increasingly more complex dungeons that use more and more gear to navigate... unless they start moving special items out of dungeons.

Pen

The game is on!
What types of dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?
I'd like to see some of the classical elements for dungeons in Zelda for the Wii U. Like forest, fire and water. If there'll be a water dungeon I'd like it to be a little more like the Water Temple from OoT or like the Great Bay Temple from MM. It would be cool to see some new ideas for elements too, however, I don't mind dungeons with no particular element.

How big do you want the dungeons to be in Zelda U?
The bigger the merrier! In fact, I'd love to have all of the dungeons even larger than any of the dungeons we've seen in previous Zelda titles. Perhaps you'll only need to visit two thirds of the dungeon to complete it. Then there's a bunch of treasure to be found! Heheh!

And how many dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?
I voted for 8-10, but that's just approximate. A little more, a little less, I'll still be satisfied. :)

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔

Elemental Dungeons are always classy, and you know me, I'm a classy lady. I'm not too worried about the theme as long as there's not an over abundance of sand or ice, because I despise sand and or ice. I want some non-linear dungeons, give us some options on where to go first, we should be able to explore dungeons just as much as the overworld. If there's something I hate it's hallway-type overworlds and predictable dungeons. Also, if they're going to make us re-visit a dungeon, it should be a place inside the dungeon that we haven't seen. If it's not interesting and engaging a second time, it's a chore that no one wants to do. More effort put into the setting around the dungeon I think would also help with the theme. For instance, an old rain forest that you can explore with the dungeon as ruins hidden in it.

A few short tutorial dungeons and some nice long, but not too long, full dungeons. I would like them to be kind of large, but not large enough that you're sick of the place and can hear the dungeon theme in your sleep. Like I said, I want to be able to explore the dungeon and not just be set on the straight and narrow. There's a balancing game between content and length in a dungeon that the creators should watch out for.

I put 11-12, I want to eat, live and breath Zelda when it comes out, I don't want to complete it in like a day. I want the feeling of getting stuck on something then figuring it out later and having that 'aha' moment that should come with every Zelda game.

At least in Zelda's case if we are talking about dungeons since there aren't (there are exceptions) any big plot revealers in dungeons, it's more of a "run into a dungeon, grab a piece of a shattered artifact, then do the same thing over and over again.".

I'd say most of SS's dungeons are exeptions,thanks to Girahim. :)

MW7

I do the dungeons because they are fun. But what does this have to do with ordering?

Never tried to do the fire temple first, but I'm pretty sure you need the hover boots to do the spirit temple. The part where you get onto the statues hand at any rate. And you need the Eye of Truth. Technically not part of the Shadow Temple, but the well is leading up to it and doing the Spirit Temple first after going through the mini dungeon for the Shadow Temple and seeing the scene with Sheik--URGH...it feels so unordered and wrong DX

Sorry, that's just a thing with me...going out of order in a game is like reading chapter three in a book before reading chapter one and then skipping to chapter seven.
I actually feel like half the fun of Ocarina of Time is the fact that you can do things in different orders. I think it's mostly about the challenge of figuring out what's possible and in some cases pulling off what's possible. For instance I noticed that you don't actually need the Goron Tunic at all and that the megaton hammer only opens an optional shortcut in the Spirit Temple. Combining these two facts allowed me to beat the adult link dungeons in the order Forest, Water, Spirit, Fire, Shadow so that I could have an extra heart container to do the Fire Temple without the Goron Tunic. I've heard about various little advantages to doing the game in different orders like this. Another example would be that the most efficient route through the game without glitches actually involves doing the Fire Temple before the Forest Temple and doing the Shadow Temple in between the child and adult portions of the Spirit Temple (Routes through OoT - Speedrunwiki.com). Also the lens of truth is entirely optional (http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f9/completing-shadow-temple-bottom-well-without-lens-truth-27134.html).

Well, you have fun doing dungeons right? Well, why not do different orders to (potentially) have more fun with that? It's not like doing dungeon 1 should and can only open up dungeon 2. Remember, this is The Legend of Zelda, not a schooling system or Mario. In school, you can't jump straight to Calculus III (the final dungeon), you have to do Algebra I (dungeon 1) then Algebra 2 (Dungeon 2), possibly Alg 3 (Dungeon 3?) if your school offers it or go to PreCal (Dungeon 3/4), then Cal I (Dungeon 5), Cal II (Dungeon 6) then FINALLY you can do Cal III (Dungeon 7).
Oddly enough I've thought about the dungeon order and school analogy myself. I was thinking about it in terms of how open ended it could be though with some parts necessarily being sequential. For instance I'm an accounting major in college and the course order is introductory financial and introductory managerial accounting first and second, then you can take intermediate financial accounting and cost accounting, then anytime after intermediate financial accounting you can take accounting information systems and taxation, and after accounting information systems you can take auditing. So it's like you do two dungeons in the same order every time then you have the choice of two, one of which opens up two more dungeons, one of which opens up one final dungeon. Honestly that's the ideal structure for a Zelda game right there for me. Force players to do a couple dungeons so that they have a couple of tools to solve puzzles with and then open up the game more later on.

Last edited:

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Anywhere between 6-12 would work for me... I'd prefer it to extend towards 12.

Rumors say that the first dungeon in this game is the size of OOT's Hyrule Field...and that some dungeons will be split into three sections. If this is true, then it's necessary to give the player more option in how they complete the dungeon, so that you don't get tired of the same puzzle routine. For example, one dungeon could have three different objectives to get to the end (heck, why not have three bosses?!). One section requires catching Poe souls like in TP... one has more of a standard dungeon design... and one is an underground lake that you can sail around in! Having that kind of variety in one temple would make dungeons almost overworld-like.

See, I always look forward to the exploration aspect of the overworld, the villages contained in it... I prefer that over the dungeons. Now if the dungeons were more open... let's say that underground lake had five rooms that were massive bodies of water... then I'd go insane with joy. I also like the idea of overworld bosses... King Bulbin, The Imprisoned... both had an epic feeling to them that other bosses couldn't match. Why do bosses have to be contained in one room? Maybe they can rampage through the entire dungeon? (Obviously that would only work in certain circumstances... such as the underground lake)

Scoby

France
Maybe 4, like in MM but many side quests and mini dungeons. I liked that! :)
10 or more = boring, feels like stretching out the game.

qualitey > quantitey

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't get the big deal of a dungeon being the size of OoT's field...the Deku Tree is nearly that big when you consider other floors.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't get the big deal of a dungeon being the size of OoT's field...the Deku Tree is nearly that big when you consider other floors.
The size of a dungeon, to me, gives a feeling of a huge expanse. It's like being overwhelmed by a torrent of emotions generated on sight. You ever see a monument in real life and just think in your mind "damn, that thing is HUGE!" ? Well, I'd extend that to video games.

But, size alone doesn't do much. Funny you mentioned the Inside of the Deku Tree; it is definitely big and I'm not arguing against it. But, you also have to take in the content of your sight as well! If the dungeon is just a huge hallway, then you won't get so many feels! But, on the flip side, if the dungeon has tons of things to do, you'll get overwhelmed in a positive way! ;)

Definitly new types! I'm tired of seing the plain old forest, fire, water as the first three. Why not mix it up a bit and throw in, i don't know, a shadow dungeon for the first one. Or an entirely new one! Point is, I'm sick of Forest or Fire always being First. I don't really care if it's linear or not, as long as it's complex and challenging.

Quite large! Small dungeons are not as much fun to roam. (Plus I love examining the walls and structure of the room)

hmmm...I'd say 10 at the most...12 might be a little too much.
But 10 would be nice as long as there's at least some content in between instead of just BAM new dungeon, after finishing one. Exploring the world is always fun :)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The size of a dungeon, to me, gives a feeling of a huge expanse. It's like being overwhelmed by a torrent of emotions generated on sight. You ever see a monument in real life and just think in your mind "damn, that thing is HUGE!" ? Well, I'd extend that to video games.

But, size alone doesn't do much. Funny you mentioned the Inside of the Deku Tree; it is definitely big and I'm not arguing against it. But, you also have to take in the content of your sight as well! If the dungeon is just a huge hallway, then you won't get so many feels! But, on the flip side, if the dungeon has tons of things to do, you'll get overwhelmed in a positive way! ;)

I'm just saying OoT's field isn't as big as you might think. A dungeon that size actually sounds small to me. Now if we were talking TP or SS field, then we'd be onto something.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
All types. Gimme fire, forest, sand, water, and even ice. And something really spooky, too. Probably not sky, though (I don't think we need any more sky, considering how badly CitS turned out in TP, and also that we just had a whole game based in the sky).

Also, some non-linearity would be nice as well. As Curmudgeon mentioned, tLoZ wasn't completely freeform. So maybe they could implement this in Zelda U. That would be a nice break from all the linear games we've been having, and make the world feel genuinely a free roaming one.

Zelda U also needs to get away from the using of an item, beating the boss with that item, and then it is practically useless after the dungeon is over (like the Dominion Rod in TP). I want to be able to use all my items in a dungeon, or at least most, because I have to. This may hurt non-linearity, but as I said, it shouldn't be completely non-linear, allowing for this to happen.

And, of course, throw in some sidequests that are practically dungeons in themselves, like the Anju/Kafei sidequest or TP's Cave of Ordeals.

Varied, and on a large scale. Some should be big as to make you go, "daaayum...", while some should be very small and compact to make you feel closed in (I think a claustrophobic effect would be interesting) but still long dungeon-wise.

I said 11-12, but more would be fine with me. 10 would be my minimum.

I found TP to be too short with only 9 dungeons, despite the game being lengthened by the Twilight and side-things like the Cave of Ordeals. Maybe that was just because the dungeons weren't that great...

So, something around 12 dungeons for me. Varied in size, element, and allowing for use of multiple items, while also allowing for a certain amount of non-linearity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom