• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Which Type of Villain(s) Would You Like to See in Zelda Wii U?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Throughout the series we've had a few different bad guys that have been put forward in different ways. We have the puppet master & his minions type of bad guys, the power hungry lone wolf, the imprisoned dark lord and mysterious troublemaker etc.

So do you want to see any villain structures implemented in ZU from previous games or something entirely new (please explain in this case)?
Which villain would you want to see; Ganondorf, Vaati, Majora or some new villain maybe with other intentions?

My weird take on it:

Personally I'm in for something fresh, some guy that's not after power but maybe just has a personal quarrel with Link and tries to corrupt those around him (kind of like the Joker in The Dark Knight). This would make for cool character development IMO, maybe we could have a few good guys go bad and tie the triforce into this somehow (lol). I bet we could actually tie Majora into this since he/she wouldn't be a fan of Link and is a perfect choice for troublemaking giving us another kind of story where we are the cleaning lady and the villain is the guy that spilled coke on the floor.

:silent:

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
I would like to see a group of villains with different personalities, and a lot of backstabbing involved, and a few of them should be sympathetic. The only antagonist I truly felt sorry for in any Zelda game is Ganondorf in WW.

I'd like to see Ganondorf return in either Zelda 3DS or Wii U.

The other notion I'd like to see probed is the concept of an abstract antagonist. In the real world, for example, terrorism represents a new frightening subset of warfare because there is no clear leadership but rather a vague coalition of entities working together towards a common cause. These fragile coalitions often tear apart to form new competing factions. We've already seen large clumps of foes gather together such as the Bokoblins from Skyward Sword in aggressive concerted efforts. The next step is to imbue these dangerous denizens with greater intelligence to ferment credibility in their attempt to successful wage warfare without a predominant ruler.

I'm not sure how well this would fit Zelda series, but an antagonist that's not truly evil would be interesting. Someone with good intentions but want to save the world by extreme means. I see nothing wrong with having Ganon on that game too though, or at least make him a part of the plot without him being there, maybe stoping his ressurection at that cycle, I'unno. I tend to like final bosses that makes you feel bad for killing them but at same time you know that you just have to do it.

Majora lost it's power, so he can't be it. I would like to see a dark mysterious villan like Zant again, but even scarier and meaner, and with different evil intenentions, depending on the story line
The game could take place before Majora's Mask.

Night Owl

~Momentai
What If the main villain was your companion?
You could grow to like the guy, and find it to be a real shocker for him to betray you at the end.
He could be kinda suspicious, by running off mid dungeon only to meet after you beat the boss.
You could also have other hints along the way, hinting that he's evil without actually saying it.
You could have a guy who is just a figure head as a villain.. who is actually working for your companion.

I think that would be interesting, Because you would wonder if you've been helping him the whole time.

I really like what Alit said about multiple factions with no true leader ship. Springing off of that, my mind goes directly to actual terrorist organizations vying for power. I think an antagonist like that could potentially make for a really cool political spin on the Zelda series. You know, getting all up into the politics of various antagonistic cells in Hyrule, perhaps fighting a multiple front war for land or resources. Plus, we'd have a chance to get an antagonist that's more morally ambiguous. Someone real and relatable who feels they have no choice but to act in a gray area of sorts. Man, we could even throw racial stuff in there. You know, sort of how Wind Waker saw Ganon fighting to avenge the loss of his people. What if we were to have various races fighting for control of Hyrule, a land that each have a claim to as their home? What if instead of battling a single, malevolent force, you are forced to face off against a multitude of peoples in the same boat as you? Then, instead of the typical Hero's Journey arc, what we'd end up with would essentially be a Zelda version of Israel/Palestine. I dunno... I think that'd be cool.

All that being said... what I REALLY want is more Ganon. :I

You could grow to like the guy, and find it to be a real shocker for him to betray you at the end.
He could be kinda suspicious, by running off mid dungeon only to meet after you beat the boss.
You could also have other hints along the way, hinting that he's evil without actually saying it.
You could have a guy who is just a figure head as a villain.. who is actually working for your companion.

I think that would be interesting, Because you would wonder if you've been helping him the whole time.

Like a
Shadow the Colossus
type deal, only with a more personal connection to the traitor... Yeah, I think that'd be awesome.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I'm not sure how well this would fit Zelda series, but an antagonist that's not truly evil would be interesting. Someone with good intentions but want to save the world by extreme means. I see nothing wrong with having Ganon on that game too though, or at least make him a part of the plot without him being there, maybe stoping his ressurection at that cycle, I'unno. I tend to like final bosses that makes you feel bad for killing them but at same time you know that you just have to do it.

I think your idea sounds interesting, however I'd throw in an antihero or rival in there too if it were up to me. This guy would lack all heroic qualities but share the same goal as Link, which would be to defeat that antagonist you were talking about?
just a thought, would make for a different and interesting story IMO.

The game could take place before Majora's Mask.

Yea but wouldn't work with my idea about Majora having a personal history with Link he's right. :

Yea kind of my trail of thought, would be cool to have an atmosphere where we have no clue who to trust or what's going to happen next because of the corruption that some evil has caused.

The other notion I'd like to see probed is the concept of an abstract antagonist. In the real world, for example, terrorism represents a new frightening subset of warfare because there is no clear leadership but rather a vague coalition of entities working together towards a common cause. These fragile coalitions often tear apart to form new competing factions. We've already seen large clumps of foes gather together such as the Bokoblins from Skyward Sword in aggressive concerted efforts. The next step is to imbue these dangerous denizens with greater intelligence to ferment credibility in their attempt to successful wage warfare without a predominant ruler.

The Gerudo would be make good candidates for this don't you think? :P
I like this idea, it could even be mixed with all of the others that have been discussed.

The villain could cause a massive plague of corruption to spread out on the land of Hyrule, he'd start an act of terrorrism against the government but he'd find that his operation is quickly spinning out of control with all the corruption in the land, good guys going bad and bad guys going mad, fighting each other and causing chaos?

Last edited:
Some amazingly good ideas on this topic but sadly I doubt Nintendo would do something too complex.

I think your idea sounds interesting, however I'd throw in an antihero or rival in there too if it were up to me. This guy would lack all heroic qualities but share the same goal as Link, which would be to defeat that antagonist you were talking about?
just a thought, would make for a different and interesting story IMO.
Ever seen Death Note or played Tales of Symphonia? In both the antagonists have good intention but want to solve the world problem by extreme means. A Tales of Symphonia like antagonist would most likely be even better,
he had good intentions, but because he did those by extreme means, even those who supported him initially started betraying him and looking for better ways of doing things. Since he had some sort of betrayal complex he eventually went insane and became purely evil, which kinda setted up stage for an epic final battle.
Not saying It should be exacly that way but that's actually very unique. Those kinds of villains tend to have a better development and makes the ending much more emotional as you feel like **** for killing him.

As for antihero, why not Ganon? I know It would be odd to not have him as final boss, but I don't really see why not. To make things interesting, have the main antagonist help you fight him (sort of like WW), following that with cutscene and then final battle. It should be treated like TP Zelda->Ganon battle though (they're somewhat part of the same battle).

I actually can see this merging very well with Night Owl idea.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Someone totally unexpected. When you get slammed with the plot twist, your reaction should be :Oo_O:eek:

Someone totally unexpected. When you get slammed with the plot twist, your reaction should be :Oo_O:eek:
Hope you don't mean something like Twilight Princess Ganon. That was unexpected, but just didn't fit that well. I felt like he was there just for some manservice.

I still think that TP was the last Zelda game to be a genuine Zelda experience and doing anyhting that TP did would just feel like a cheap retread (prove me wrong Nintendo) I'll agree that TP was OoT2 and there is nothing wrong with that because finally we had a Zelda game that knew where it came from and was conscious of at least one other game to make the franchise feel like a story worth knowing about form another angle, but the return of Ganondorf in TP and his power over Zant was well done (in my eyes, don't get me started) so to me if ZeldaU brought back Ganondorf at all especially in the role of a puppet master/has a minion type then I' not going to be able to push TP out of my head...

What I want for ZeldaU (that I won't get) is something new but something akin to Majora, something that is threatening the peace of Hyrule that is just plain evil, there is nothing else to it, it doesn't have an agenda it just destroys/curses whatever it finds and it has to be stopped. Majora was a force to be reckoned with and its presence throughout MM was wonderfully felt even beyond that of the moon, poor Skull Kid was wearing the face of the devil itself in MM, I'd love Hyrule to be threatened by something with such awesome force and true evil again in ZeldaU rather than just having Ganondorf or any new/returning villain simply wanting to take over.

Nintendo can't tell a very oherent story so I don't want them to try, i just want them to lather on the evil presence and threat and let us have at it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Ganondorf.

Or maybe a Zant-like villain. It'd be nice to see another villain who actually has a reason for being evil and isn't a complete soulless badass Ganondorf wannabe.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You know, the more I think about it the more I am considering a mastermind type of villain. A crazed villain such as Zero Two from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards or Majora from MM would be nice, but we haven't really had an incredibly deep, calculating villain in the Zelda series. Sure, Ganondorf (TP) controlled Zant elegantly, and there've been some other mastermind villains in the past, but what I'm looking for is a Master Xehanort (Kingdom Hearts series) type character even if for only one game.

Will that mastermind villain be Ganondorf? I don't know! He has the wit and the ambition, but maybe there's a need for another new villain? xD

A bit harsh, trying to change peoples' opinions and all ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom