• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was Ganondorf "chosen" or Not

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
What do you think, was he actually chosen by the gods to hold the ToP, or was he just an evil thief with a lust for power who stole it.

I personally believe that Ganondorf was never chosen for anything. He is simply an evil thief who got into the Sacred Realm and stole the Triforce of Power.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
Well, remember he attempted to steal the entire Triforce, not just the ToP. I don't know if it would have gone to someone else if he hadn't stolen it, but I mean, he was the most powerful figure in Hyrule.
However, I think the biggest piece of evidence in favor of his being chosen is his execution in the Child Timeline- he survived because he was chosen by the Triforce of Power, when his quest to steal it had failed.

Twili Kid

Many pointless questions
No ganondorf was not chosen. when you touch the triforce you get the part which fits you most. i.e. Ganondorf wanted the power of the triforce but i guess the key word is power so he got the ToP. Link and Zelda were the ones who were chosen

Anyone who bears the symbol of the Triforce on the back of their hand is considered chosen by the gods. It states this multiple times throughout the series. Yes, that means even Ganondorf, though he is big, mean, bad, and seemingly stole the Triforce from the Sacred Realm, is chosen as well.

Examples? Well, without even entering the Sacred Realm, Ganondorf obtains the Triforce of Power in TP. Being on the CT, the event of Ganondorf entering the SR after Link pulled the MS from the pedestal in OoT never existed. So obviously, he recieved it because he was the one chosen. The text within the game describes it as a "divine prank", divine referring to the Gods/Goddesses.

Then you have actual in-game text that specifically states he is chosen, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1hcE7MySs

Go to the end, at about 3:40.

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I always thought that it wasn't the Goddesses who choose the bearer but it was the Triforce, itself, who chose who got the respective pieces.

B

Bodo

I think that Ganondorf was chosen out of three to select from.

He attempted to steal the Triforce, but did not have a balanced heart, forcing the Triforce to choose who would receive each piece. With his unlimited ambition, Ganondorf made an ideal choice for the Triforce of Power. (I imagine that what would be done with the piece was not a part of the Triforce's choice.)

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I think you really have to look further into the usage of the term "chosen". Really, I doubt the goddesses chose Ganondorf to be somebody who would attempt to steal the Triforce. Afterall, they did try to seal him away after his wrong-doings.

But we have to remember that, in the world of Hyrule, destiny plays a big part in how the world works. The goddesses are not perfect- Termina was one of their "accidents", so it's safe to assume that they also made mistakes in creating this "destiny".

In the clip, it says he was "blessed with the chosen power of the gods". Perhaps he wasn't chosen in particular, but he was destined to do such a thing.... if that makes any sense. It's a difficult idea for me to explain. I do think he was destined to become the villain that he is, but I do not think that the Goddesses decided that he'd make an attempt at stealing the Triforce.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the eternal conflict between the three is a way to keep the balance of Hyrule as a whole. If there was always peace, none of the inhabitants would really value it. The inhabitants are mortal, imperfect beings- full of negative and positive traits just as you and I are, and choosing right over wrong is part of that. Greed and corruption lead to destruction, but that destruction leads to rebirth and prosperity. And endless cycle that keeps the inhabitants of the world in check. Maybe the goddesses really did choose him.

But, that'd make me question their intervening.

Maybe the eternal conflict between the three is a way to keep the balance of Hyrule as a whole. If there was always peace, none of the inhabitants would really value it. The inhabitants are mortal, imperfect beings- full of negative and positive traits just as you and I are, and choosing right over wrong is part of that. Greed and corruption lead to destruction, but that destruction leads to rebirth and prosperity. And endless cycle that keeps the inhabitants of the world in check. Maybe the goddesses really did choose him.

But, that'd make me question their intervening.

This is exactly my belief. I think that the three with the Triforce ultimately were chosen, perhaps not specifically detail for detail, but the goddesses knew that they would be the ones to recieve their piece of the Triforce. Which is why I mentioned above about how Ganondorf, not entering the SR in the CT, still recieved the ToP (in TP). There really would be no other way in my opinion that he would have just randomly recieved the ToP. He was about to die, so in order for the goddesses to keep their original plan in motion, he had to be granted the ToP in order to be kept alive, because it was not Link who was about to kill him. It was not the chosen hero defeating the chosen villain; It wasn't Courage prevailing over Power. That is why I think they kept him alive.

But, as Zeruda mentioned above, you must then question the goddesses' interfearance in the BS of WW, when they flooded Hyrule. In my mind, they should have left another Link to crop up, no matter how bad things got, in order to stick to their design for the Triforce. They had good reason to intervene in TP, IMO, because one of their chosen was about to die not by their design, but WW, Ganondorf finally had bested Hyrule and came out on top, but got the boot.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
As said above, TP's execution scene almost implies that Ganondorf was chosen to be the bearer of the ToP, and, it is pretty much implied by his reaction that he was as surprised as the sages.
The Goddesses don't seem that neutral to me, sometimes, and, flooding Hyrule was a desperate move, though.
Maybe there was no one worthy enough to receive the ToC, so that's why they had to flood Hyrule

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
This is exactly my belief. I think that the three with the Triforce ultimately were chosen, perhaps not specifically detail for detail, but the goddesses knew that they would be the ones to recieve their piece of the Triforce. Which is why I mentioned above about how Ganondorf, not entering the SR in the CT, still recieved the ToP (in TP). There really would be no other way in my opinion that he would have just randomly recieved the ToP. He was about to die, so in order for the goddesses to keep their original plan in motion, he had to be granted the ToP in order to be kept alive, because it was not Link who was about to kill him. It was not the chosen hero defeating the chosen villain; It wasn't Courage prevailing over Power. That is why I think they kept him alive.

But, as Zeruda mentioned above, you must then question the goddesses' interfearance in the BS of WW, when they flooded Hyrule. In my mind, they should have left another Link to crop up, no matter how bad things got, in order to stick to their design for the Triforce. They had good reason to intervene in TP, IMO, because one of their chosen was about to die not by their design, but WW, Ganondorf finally had bested Hyrule and came out on top, but got the boot.

While it is an interesting theory, like other theories, it has flaws. Remember the cutscene where they show Ganondorf being stabbed in the gut right before execution? Well, he bears the mark of the Triforce of Power on his hand. SOMEHOW, he'd have to come into posssession of it. I don't, however, think that the goddesses would just give it to him. Why would they break it?

[AONUMA ON TP]
"In practical terms, at the end of Ocarina of Time Link departs from the world where he defeated Ganon. This may be christened the adult timeline, which eventually forms the backbone of Wind Waker. However, by going back in time a new timeline is spun off. In this timeline Link never opens the door to the Sacred Realm, and Ganon never touches the Triforce. He is eventually caught and executed, and this timeline becomes Twilight Princess. This works because of the intended consequences."

So... in order for the three to receive pieces of the Triforce, somebody with an unbalanced heart (which, btw, doesn't mean they are evil), had to touch the Triforce.

[AONUMA ON TP]
"In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be.That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time."

So, we know that a decision was made to prevent Ganondorf from doing "something outrageous" by executing him. But the fact still stands that he had that certain part of the Triforce...

Could it be that the "little talk" that Link and Zelda had (where Link tells Zelda about what happened) led somebody to try to prevent Ganondorf from getting the Triforce? Could it be that maybe even Princess Zelda herself attempted to obtain the Triforce? Perhaps she tried to do so with good intentions, but it's possible that even her heart was not balanced, and it broke into three, explaining how Ganondorf obtained the Triforce of Power.

It's a long shot, but certainly not impossible. In any case, if Link didn't open the Door of Time, it'd certainly make obtaining the Triforce much more difficult for Ganondorf. It's possible that he had different methods. Perhaps he obtained the Spiritual Stones himself. Who knows. In any case, I really doubt that the goddesses would seperate the Triforce themselves. I wonder what really happened?

E

Enraikou

Uhmmm TRIFORCE...... A person of light ( Zelda) a person of darkness( Ganondorf) and a person to balance the opposites sides (Link)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
hmm ganon could'nt have been chosen he's just a theif who stole it and inhibited it's powers. but there is another side to my own thoery...what if the Godesses accidentaly chose him as the bearer of the triforce and the power corrupted him?

but anyway i personally don't think the goddesses chose him as the bearer of the triforce.

T

Toon link

I beleive Ganon was chosen by the Goddesses to weild the triforce of power. but they had no idea that ganaon would use his blessing for evil. so he was a good man at first but, like arkvoodle said, the power corupted him.

Oathkeeper95

The Oath of Kinbaku, Tzion, Terra, and Iscariot.
I do believe that ganondorf was chosen to be the bearer of the triforce. There WAS a prophecy that somebody would try to steal the triforce but would be deafeted by the HoT. That person happened to be ganondorf. But thats not the point im trying to make. I think that the reason why ganondorf got the ToP during his execution was that the ganon in the AT had the triforce, so the ToP crossed over the timelines and was given to the ganondorf in the CT. But, it took ganondorf dying to activate it.

To put it in a nutshell: Ganondorf in the AT has the ToP, so the ganondorf in the CT has it also.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I don't think the goddesses would purposely choose a great evil to have something so powerful.

This is what I believe and it seems to work out fine.

I believe that the Triforce chooses it's bearer when it splits up. ToW finds the wisest person who would be the perfect one to hold that respective piece of the Triforce. It's obvious that Princess Zelda, who always has wisdom to share, would recieve that piece. The ToC will choose the bravest person and seeing as how Link always goes on these amazing adventures, he is the one that the ToC chooses to be with. Ganon/dorf is all about gaining power and he is a very powerful being so the ToP would go to him.

It makes the most sense that the pieces choose their own bearer by going to the person who is greatest in their respective fields (wisdom, courage, power).

I really don't think the Goddesses have anything to do with it. They made the Triforce and from there on out it's up to the triforce on what happens next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom