• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Imprisoning War Scandal

D

Deku Lord

The Zelda fan universe is a strange creature to think about, we have widespread agreement, widespread disagreement and an overall tension about anything Zelda. Now to be sure the timeline is the biggest of these problems, an ultimate seemingly unreachable object that every devout fan desires to learn the truth of. We’ve got our split timeline believers (who’ve been proven right by the all powerful deity of Nintendo), and our linear timeline believers (who like to hang around in the new no-fly zone of timeline-ists) and then within the rungs there are the no timeline believers. Now writing as a fan, I’m all for the official split-timeline, it makes partial sense in its being apart of the Zelda world. However, being true to this focus of an article, I have a grand chunk of information to share. There are misconceptions in the people and seemingly, the biggest one is the Imprisoning War. (First mentioned, and only mentioned, in A Link to the Past)

-The Belief: Just about 100% of the time that I have gone around the great internet I have seen one of the saddest things in my life, this belief. The Imprisoning War is almost unanimously declared the events of the Ocarina of Time video game released for the N64 some odd years ago. My favourite saying in life (as of 10 seconds before writing this sentence) is for everyone to pay attention to detail, pay attention to context. If those who believe this had, you just might feel a tad bit ashamed.

-The Truth: Once upon a time there existed a manual, a manual brimming with fascinating information about a kingdom’s past. In fact, this long history packed together in those small pages was the first true backstory to a land we had been used to for just over half a decade. The manual was that of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Allow me to quote the fabled typed over version of the manual on EDN.

Full manual can be found here.

The Imprisoning War I do not know what Ganon wished for from the Triforce. However, in time evil power began to flow from the Golden Land and greedy men were drawn there to become members of Ganon's army. Black clouds permanently darkened the sky, and many disasters beset Hyrule. The lord of Hyrule sent for the Seven Wise Men and the Knights Of Hyrule, and ordered them to seal the entrance to the Golden Land. The Triforce, being an inanimate object, cannot judge between good and evil. Therefore, it could not know that Ganon's wishes were evil; it merely granted them. Suspecting that Ganon's power was based on the Triforce's magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce. This mighty weapon became known as the Blade of Evil's Bane, or the Master Sword. It was so powerful that only one who was pure of heart and strong of body could wield it. As the Seven Wise Men searched for a valiant person to take up the Master Sword, Ganon's evil army swarmed from the tainted Golden Land into Hyrule and attacked the castle. The Wise Men and the Knights Of Hyrule combined forces to wage war on this evil horde. The Knights took the full brunt of the fierce attack, and although they fought courageously, many a brave soul was lost that day. However, their lives were not lost in vain, for they bought precious time for the Seven Wise Men to magically seal Ganon in the Golden land. All of Hyrule rejoiced at the victory that upheld peace and order over Ganon's evil and chaos. This war, which had claimed many lives, became known as the Imprisoning War in stories told in later centuries.
-The Truth Continued: Once you have read those two paragraphs I would like to direct you to the facts about the Imprisoning War. There are plenty of things to talk about with this actually, there are many defences, but as far as my research is concerned, there is no true defence. The Imprisoning War predates Ocarina of Time for the following reasons:

1. The Sages/Wise Men are literally called the Wise Men, truly a connection to the fact that they are all Hylian in nature. Take into account the reason if they weren’t, why wouldn’t that be mentioned and why name them collectively as Men? Now this is a valid point to make, there is an official artwork rendition of them surrounding a collecting seal, and the use of that is to make the fact that they are all human.

The picture can be found here.

Or you can take into account all the descendant of the Seven Wise Men are maidens, Hylian maidens.

2. This is the more obvious point in the matter. The Master Sword was not forged until the onslaught of Ganon arrived through the corrupted Golden Land. There was no involvement of a Hero in the sealing of the evil being, but besides that, the Master Sword was forged in the middle of the War and a Hero was being searched out to wield it. This fact places it before the times of Ocarina of Time due to the Master Sword’s birth in legend and birth before the times of the Temple of Time in legend.

3. Another important point. Ganondorf finds the Triforce and the entrance to the Golden Land by accident alongside his minions who are thieves. We could go on to say that he betrayed them after getting the Triforce killing them all, etc. etc. but that's a different point to make in the future. If you recall, Ganondorf knew full well how to enter the Sacred Realm in Ocarina of Time, thus his reasoning for tracking down the Spiritual Stones. In Ocarina of Time, the title of King of Thieves, or by his name Mandrag Ganon, was no where to be found, he seemingly worked alone without the aid of his fellow Gerudo people as well, no group of thieves following his every whim. In the Imprisoning War, that still lacks a Hero, Ganondorf found and commanded the entire Triforce.

That’s right, Power, Wisdom and Courage all belonged to him, he had these virtues, unlike in Ocarina of Time where the Power of Gold broke into three pieces and fled to those worthy enough to own them. If that doesn't seal the deal, I have no idea what will. Maybe since he attacked Hyrule from this Golden Land of his, maybe that might help, who knows? Oh and notice he was sealed into his tainted Golden Land with the Triforce alongside him. I don't recall that being a truth in Ocarina of Time, I only viewed the Power piece fly off into that precious blinding white void that latched onto the pixels of my TV for days.

-The Defense
If not in Ocarina of Time, then what about Twilight Princess? The answer is also painfully simple, that was the Twilight Realm, 6 human-like sages, and it's been placed officially after Majora's Mask, after the split occurs in the timeline Sadly that is all I can muster to bother thinking about for the Imprisoning War being defended. It has been placed as before the events of Ocarina of Time due to several factors, and it cannot take place after the split in the timeline due to it being the first introduction of Ganondorf, his accident of finding an entrance, and the creation of the Master Sword.

-Concluding
Now this is the easy deal of the War. It's a strange fact that I am beginning these series of articles with the most extensive and potentially the most ground breaking of all the ones that will grace the line of pieces of work. If you want to be introduced to what you will find, what you will have to work your head around in this area of EDN, stay tuned for the complementary article of the Imprisoning War Scandal. Evil's Bane. Here’s something to think about for a while during your wait.​
As far as we are concerned, and as far as the legends are concerned, Ganondorf made no attempts to free himself from this predating event of Ocarina of Time due to the incapability of destroying the seal. His first attempt was using Agahnim for his bidding to help him come free of the Golden Land, after the events of Ocarina of Time and after when the timeline was officially split. So?​
Until next time, this has been an article of Corrupted Legends, of The Life and Times of Hyrule and Co.

Written by Zeldaeinstein, my partner in writing the timeline articles on EDN.

D

Deku Lord

Who's to say the translator at that site isn't inaccurate? If I was going on translating everything, I might write an article about it, maybe make the table look better. Maybe he slacked off. It's not hard to create a basic table and put a few random symbols followed by a false translation on the internet.

D

Deku Lord

NOA's translation proves more true to their translation notes than their own translations! As for the GBA manual, Nintendo knew they screwed up, and instead of making a new game, they "remade" a game making discrete changes (including lowering enemy difficulty) so that their cover up of the real manual went unnoticed. Nintendo needs to work around their mistakes, not try to cover them up. It's a magical land for crying out loud, changing the story of a land is not the answer, they need to work around it.

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
D

Deku Lord

Are we reading the same notes? The notes on that site support NOA's translation.

And to poke a rather large hole in the whole "OoT is the Imprisoning War" bit, what of the fact that the seven sages were hylian. In OoT, you have an elf, a rock-man, a fish-woman, and four humans, only one, maybe two at the most, were of Hylian descent. All sages in the Imprisoning War were Hylian.

Both of those articles have their minds set on the assumption that OoT is the Imprisoning War. It is not.

*Edit* Also, those "significant differences" are simply translation choices. If you haven't noticed, every time they made a change, they said that NOA's was just as possible, if not more likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
Deku Lord said:
And to poke a rather large hole in the whole "OoT is the Imprisoning War" bit, what of the fact that the seven sages were human. In OoT, you have an elf, a rock-man, a fish-woman, and four humans, only one, maybe two at the most, were of Hylian descent. All sages in the Imprisoning War were Hylian.
Deku Lord said:
It's a magical land for crying out loud
Lex again said:
Refuting 3: Where Do Babies Come From?

How do you get seven apparently human descendants from a group of five more-or-less-humans, a rock-man, and a fish-woman? Frankly, I don’t think anybody knows. Does that make the idea any less plausible in a fantasy setting? Absolutely not!

The Zelda series is full of examples of descendants springing from creatures that are not of their species. The Kokiri originally take on human forms, but are known as the children of the Great Deku Tree, and later take on the forms of the tree-like Koroks. The Zoras are a blend between humans and fish, and later evolve into the Rito, a bird-like race. Phantom Hourglass follows this vein in taking the Postman seen in Twilight Princess and The Minish Cap and giving him wings. With these precedents in place, it seems there is an abundance of instances in which racial barriers are oversighted within the series, and I see no reason why there should not be another in this case.

Deku Lord said:
Both of those articles have their minds set on the assumption that OoT is the Imprisoning War. It is not.
And this article was written under the assumption that it isn't.

What it really comes down to is what you want to believe.

-If you don't want OoT to be the IW, then there is evidence to back it up, and you can place it somewhere else in the timeline (though I wouldn't put it at TP, as that misses the whole point of the IW, sealing the SR)

-If you do want OoT to be the IW, then there is evidence there as well, and the OoT - ALttP link remains.

There's nothing truly conclusive either way

While there is nothing wrong with debating which is true, if its going to be in article form it should be built upon solid evidence, not an outdated (and proven as such) manual.

D

Deku Lord

It wasn't outdated, it was a cover up attempt.

Also, have you looked at the the pictures? There is no rock-man's hand there. There is easily enough evidence to disprove OoT being the Imprisoning War. Maybe you should read through the article again, paying attention to things like Ganon's knowledge of the triforce. I'm going to use that example for now.

-In OoT, Ganon knew where the triforce was and knew how to get there. When he found his way into the Golden Land just before the Imprisoning War, it was "quite by accident." Which brings me to..

-Ganon entered the realm BEFORE the Imprisoning War. The knights were instructed to forge the Master Sword to repel the evil, and the majority of the War was spent looking for the hero.

-Where are the knights in OoT? They sure weren't fighting to keep Ganon in the Golden Land. He went in, took the Triforce of Power, and left, upon which he slaughtered and imprisoned everybody.

-Ganon only had the Triforce of Power in OoT. During the Imprisoning War, he had the whole freaking thing.

And that's just running with one idea. Add the fact that all the sages were human, and it is not physically possible for OoT to be the Imprisoning War. It must be separate, whether Nintendo tries to cover up the real manual or not.

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
Deku Lord said:
It wasn't outdated, it was a cover up attempt.
*Sigh*
That's what, twice now you've claimed a coverup/conspiracy to support you claims? If I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling me.
Deku Lord said:
Also, have you looked at the the pictures? There is no rock-man's hand there. There is easily enough evidence to disprove OoT being the Imprisoning War.
Nintendo is allowed creative license to create their games, they exercised that right during OoT. The other races hadn't even been envisioned in 1992, so of course they weren't pictured.
Deku Lord said:
-In OoT, Ganon knew where the triforce was and knew how to get there. When he found his way into the Golden Land just before the Imprisoning War, it was "quite by accident." Which brings me to..
It still was quite by accident, he didn't get in himself. He was just lucky enough to piggy-back on Link drawing the sword.
Deku Lord said:
-Ganon entered the realm BEFORE the Imprisoning War. The knights were instructed to forge the Master Sword to repel the evil, and the majority of the War was spent looking for the hero.
That would sum up the seven years that Link and the MS were gone (with Zelda, a sage, looking for them)
Deku Lord said:
-Ganon only had the Triforce of Power in OoT. During the Imprisoning War, he had the whole freaking thing.
Nothing requires that he have the entire Triforce from the IW straight to ALttP, he just has to have it prior to ALttP.
Deku Lord said:
And that's just running with one idea. Add the fact that all the sages were human, and it is not physically possible for OoT to be the Imprisoning War. It must be separate, whether Nintendo tries to cover up the real manual or not.
Who says back stories applying to other games must be 100% accurate? Look at TWW, according to its retelling of OoT, Link (as a child, no less) used the MS and ToC to seal up Ganon. That's not what happened though, the Sages' sealed him. Does this mean OoT isn't TWW's back story? Of course not. What it means is that over time, knowledge of past events becomes distorted, accounting for any discrepancies.

Also, this should show that they obviously intended OoT to be the IW

Below are comments from two staff members of the OoT development team; one from the Character Designer, Satoru Takizawa, and one from the Script Director, Toru Osawa. In this interview, conducted at the time of OoT's release by the Japanese website Ki no ue no Himitsu kichi and translated by Zethar-II[5], Takizawa confirms that they were dealing with ALttP's Imprisoning War (also known as the Seal War) when designing OoT's story, and thus was meant to be the account of the seven Sages' seal on the Sacred Realm in that backstory.

Takizawa: In past, when you thought about Ganon in Zelda, he was a pig. This time, when were collaborating ideas, we thought "He wouldn't be a pig, would he?" There were even some who thought "I don't want him to be a pig." But I still thought that at least the end should have Ganon as a pig. The whole time I wanted to know what Mr. Miyamoto thought, but in the end, I realized that Mr. Miyamoto didn't have an opinion on the matter, so I decided to do it the way I wanted.

This time, the story really wasn't an original. We were dealing with the "The Imprisoning War of the Seven Sages" from the SNES edition Zelda. To give that game a little "secret" recognition, I thought that keeping the "pigness" in Ganon would be the correct course. So we made him a beast "with the feeling of a pig."

Osawa then states that the Sages' names in OoT later become the basis for the town names in AoL (though in reality, the Sages were actually named in reference to the towns themselves as a throwback to that game, as was the case with Talon and Malon, and their similarity to Tarin and Marin from LA).

Osawa: Though in this game Zelda is now included in the Seven Sages, the other six have the names of the town names from the Disk System edition "The Adventure of Link."

In the SNES edition game, the story "Long ago, there was a war called the Imprisoning War" was passed along. A name in the Imprisoning War era is the name of a Town later. They were like "pseudo-secrets." We wanted to throw these out through the entirety of the game. That thing from then is now this.

Tarin and Marin, a father and girl who appeared in "Link's Awakening" (G:cool: were used as the base for a different parent and child who comes out in this game. These are the things that when they are seen by a person who has played Zelda before they will understand. If people begin to think "Do you think that this could be that thing from then?" then I will be happy.

For some time, this was regarded as undeniable proof that OoT was meant to be the Seal War in ALttP's backstory, and thus shared a connection with the older games. Of course, after the release of TWW, and even more so after TP's, many increasingly felt this connection breaking so as to give way to newer games in the series, as both games contradict the OoT-ALttP connection in their own ways. Nevertheless, the intent to connect these games seems to have been there since OoT's release. What is debatable is the extent to which they were willing to preserve that connection.

D

Deku Lord

-Now then, about Nintendo's 'creative license', you treat the Big N as if they are supposed to be some kind of God. Nintendo needs to not change the manual of old, because those who remember will argue its case. Regardless of their intent, the races are not there in the Imprisoning War. They are all Hylian, and they can't change that. They need to work around their mistakes instead of overwriting them.

-Have you forgotten about his band of theives who were supposed to follow him? Last I checked, the Gerudo were not following him in, and they were still alive afterwards. Also, if they did by chance make it in, I don't recall the Gerudo being skilled in the Dark Arts.

-Have you forgotten that during the War Ganon was INSIDE THE BLOODY REALM? In OoT, he is NOT, he is OUTSIDE screwing up the rest of Hyrule.

-If they did forge a new sword, where'd it go? Also, the entire War was HERO-LESS, as in NO HERO.

-If the backstories are not 100% accurate, then Ninteno cannot have a 100% accurate timeline. If you are arguing all this creative license and inaccuracy crap, then go help out the people who still go for the linear timeline theory; they need the false hope.

Please try actually thinking about my statements this time around, my time in this thread is becoming very droll, seeing as I am pointing out things you should already know if you're as expert on the War as you act.

D

Deku Lord

Er, spam much?

That just proves my point more. If they want to have the timeline they are shooting for, they need to work around mistakes instead of covering them with new mistakes which cause more anger in the community.

Well, Deku Lord, Shigeru Miyamoto said that "Ocarina of Time" was to cover the backstory in "Link to the Past". So even he made a mistake with that. Fact is, he can say that that manual isn't canon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom