• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Happened to the Kikwis?

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Hiding in another area in Hyrule that has not yet been explored, or maybe they did start a race from Later Zelda instalments like Deku shrubs, or Kokori, overall its something that Nintendo has left out entirely, well only time will tell.

Donutwizard

The Angry Mask Salesman
I think that they evolved into kokiri, I mean it's not like the kokiri/koroks are incapable of evolving. Also the kikwi could be so thankful to Link that maybe when they evolved into kokiri they took on Skyward Sword Link's clothes. They also look quite a bit like the koroks and Yerbal the kikwi elder hangs out in The Great Tree.

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
Maybe it's something Nintendo left us to resolve? Like: "Let us not tell what happened to the cute fellow Kikwis, and let us come with an impossible theory, so our legacy will carry on FOREVER!". Completely logical.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
:Zelda:Druggie: said:
As to how that change would occur I don't know. Dare I say, mating with Skyloftians ?
Oh my.
Thank you for that highly disturbing mental image...the two species arent at all similar enough to crossbreed imo.

They do have plant based camoflauge, yes, but I think they would reproduce like squirrels/other small mammals. They kinda look a bit like squirrels with leafy tails...and how do you know the 6 you see in game are all males? The only two that are refered to with male pronouns are Bucha and Yerbal. Some of the others can very well be female. Or there are females hiding out somewhere being anti social.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
My theory on Kikwis, Kokiri and Koroks goes like this:

Kikwis --> Kokiri --> Koroks

My idea, whether right or wrong, is that all of these species are literally "spirits of the forest" and change as the forest changes. They wind up changing to fit the times - almost "evolving," but I think their evolution is like Pokemon-evolution in that the same creature can radically change its body through magic while still living and doesn't need to rely on passing on its genes. This is why each of these species can be so (presumably) "innocent" and childlike.

That's not to say that the spirits of the forest necessarily retain their memories or their names when they transform. We don't have any Kokiri named "Bucha" or Koroks named "Mido." In one of my fanfictions, I did make the two Fados from Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker *the same person* as a little twist (I had Fado "get bored with being a girl" and use magic to become boy-Fado, and it's implied in that story that he would have become a Korok if he hadn't been killed before the tribal phase-over).

These are just my ideas, though, not canon - just ideas I use in my crazy fanfiction stories and how I like to think of things until Nintendo gives us the answer. (I honestly don't think they "think out" their series as hard as the fans do. Fandom is delightfully crazy).

Dragoncat

In one of my fanfictions, I did make the two Fados from Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker *the same person* as a little twist (I had Fado "get bored with being a girl" and use magic to become boy-Fado, and it's implied in that story that he would have become a Korok if he hadn't been killed before the tribal phase-over).
Lol that's awesome. Bored with being female...turns male...I have a feeling if people could do that in real life, there'd be more guys than girls in the population. Because...a certain thing that happens once a month to girls...sucks.

Some animals can switch gender, so your theory is possible.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Lol that's awesome. Bored with being female...turns male...I have a feeling if people could do that in real life, there'd be more guys than girls in the population. Because...a certain thing that happens once a month to girls...sucks.

Some animals can switch gender, so your theory is possible.

One could always theorize it happening with the Zora, as it happens with certain kinds of fish all the time. My Kokiri idea came somewhat from the idea that they're related to plants, "of the forest," and most plants are both male and female at the same time, anyway. My fic has the Great Deku Tree lampshading that. (He's a father-figure, but in the manga, he makes fruit! Fruit is female if I remember my basic botany correctly)! Anyway, the fic is here if you want to read it. Time's Castaway - the main plot is the Hero of Time accidently time-and-space traveling to the Wind Waker era, meeting the people of outset, and ensliting the aid of Aryll and his successor to try to find a way home. (He winds up meeting the Koroks and the GDT along the way).

I'm pretty sure I used the "change with the forest" thing in an earlier fic, my infamous The Great Desert , in which the forests had dwindled and vanished. This caused the Kokiri to AGE. The few remaining Kokiri in the era of the story are elderly.

Yeah, I think it's plausible that the spirits of the forest just stick around and manifest themselves in different ways in different ages. The Kikwi are only extinct because they become Kokiri,and Kokiri are only extinct because they've become Koroks in one of the timelines and etc. Less dying out and more of a magical evolution.

Dragoncat

I think a lot of tree species are both male and female, a lot of plant species in general are. But I'm not sure.

I don't think zoras would be able to change gender though...clownfish only do that when they absolutely have to, not just randomly. Clownfish groups are led by the biggest female. When she dies, the biggest male turns into a female to take her place. Zoras arent clownfish. There is a species of fish that I think switches gender once a year. Can't for the life of me remember what it's called...zoras arent them either. And while you could back up this claim with the kokiris(Fado), there is no evidence about this in zoras.

Hmm. An old kokiri...that would be interesting.

Fig

The Altruist
It is possible that they could have evolved into the Deku Scrubs. Another thing that could have happened is that they happened to evolve into the plants that were on their backs.

K

Kenton

In Wind Waker they were turned into plant like things (with an actual explanation I wont go through right now), maybe Skyward Sword is just a furthering variation of that.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think they may have been in every game we've seen. I think they may have finally mastered camoflauge. They may still dwell in the southern forests of Ordon and Faron. I like to think that they were simply well hidden among the bushes and trees. They may have lost the plants off their backs to Link's sword a few times, but they have kept their presence hidden through sheer will. I hope to one day see them again. Maybe demons attacking the forest will draw them out of hiding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom