• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Generations

Which Pokemon Generation was your favorite?

• Generation 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generation 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

• Generation 3 (FR/LG/Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire)

• Generation 4 (Pearl, Diamond, Platinum)

• I like them all equally

• Total voters

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Well DPP made EV training quite easy, it takes just a bit over 30 1 point Pokemon to complete a 252 / 252 / 6 EV spread, if you do it right.

You are actually right about this, because some areas have more then one pokemon with that EV. Not to forget that 10 vitamines equals 100 EV, so thats quite a start.
And for the lazy people like i do, I use candies, pokerus and macho brace.

- There was IVs from the start, and EVs, except the IVs only went to 15 and there was no EV cap (so there might as well have not been EVs). But there was stat variation.
But i didn't knew that there was IV from the start.

- There was always a physical special split, but it was done by types (eg. all Dark Moves were special), so the changes were huge, greatly affecting some Pokemon (like Alakazam, who lost the elemental punches), but there was always a difference.
I said "that every move was either based on pyshical or special. So it was not more only based on types creating more variation."
Or maybe i was not being clear enough. One other thing about this is, it had also some negative effects. For instance, volt tackle became pyshical instead of special. Some pokemon have a movelist that totally does not match with its base stats.

hsb39

Why so logical?
You are actually right about this, because some areas have more then one pokemon with that EV. Not to forget that 10 vitamines equals 100 EV, so thats quite a start.
And for the lazy people like i do, I use candies, pokerus and macho brace.

I'd suggest Power Items > Macho Brace, completely superior, and make EV training much faster (1 "1 Point Pokemon" with PKRS and Power Item Boost gives 10 EVs).

I said "that every move was either based on pyshical or special. So it was not more only based on types creating more variation."
Or maybe i was not being clear enough. One other thing about this is, it had also some negative effects. For instance, volt tackle became pyshical instead of special. Some pokemon have a movelist that totally does not match with its base stats.

Sorry, misunderstood, but there still are Pokemon with movelists that don't match their stats (Bannette is a decent example).

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
I liked the second gen.

The Johtto region was more interesting than the rest, I liked the pokemon, the gyms and the different towns & locations better.

I enjoyed the games more.

Other than generation 2 I liked them all equally, except maybe 4, but it was fun for me anyways.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I still think that, even though it was my favorite, the G/S/C games had a major huge flaw: the difficulty levels were a huge letdown. I mean, the highest leveled pokémon in the league was what? A level 52 Dragonite, that's hilarious.
And Kanto's gyms were not that much above it.
I like D/P/Pt better in what comes to difficulty levels, and I really liked D/P/Pt's Pokémon league(even the bug guy)

hsb39

Why so logical?
I still think that, even though it was my favorite, the G/S/C games had a major huge flaw: the difficulty levels were a huge letdown. I mean, the highest leveled pokémon in the league was what? A level 52 Dragonite, that's hilarious.
And Kanto's gyms were not that much above it.
I like D/P/Pt better in what comes to difficulty levels, and I really liked D/P/Pt's Pokémon league(even the bug guy)

Hmm... I've never found there to be much of a difficulty level to Pokemon ingame stuff. All of it comes from the multiplayer (oh, and Battle Frontier, that's fun too, even if there is a huge luck factor).

And in GSC the Pokemon league was about half way through, don't forget about the Kanto stuff, and the highest level trainer Pokemon before Platinum (Lvl. 81 Pikachu).

I like all of the Generations but my favourite is the 4th Gen, I like all the pokemon on there, I like the new starters more than any of the others but the 1st Gen comes very close to the 4th Gen, The 1st and 4th Gens both have my favourite starters and some of the newly introduced pokemon, I really like Magmortar, Electivire (One of my favourite all time pokemon) and Ryperior. The first generation has my favourite Legendaries (Mew and Mewtwo, Also I like the 3 Legendaries birds, The only trio that beats the Legendaries Birds for me is the Legendaries Dogs).

My Least favourite Gen despite it having my favourite legendary Trio and Lugia I really don't like a lot of the other pokemon. I don't like the starters, I don't like newly introduced pokemon much, but it does have one of my favourite event Pokemon being Celebi.

In order of how I like them it goes 4th and 1st (Sort of Tied but I do like the 4th Gen that little bit more), Then the 3rd Gen and finally the 2nd Gen. The 3rd Gen does have Kyogre and Slightly better starters than the 2nd but it has my least favourite Trio out of them all but they do allow you to get Regigigas in the 4th Gen (Even though I don't really like him either).

I do like the 2nd Gen though for being able to go to both Johto and Kanto, I really liked this Idea, I think that they could maybe do the same again but with all of them, It would take a long time to complete but it would still be really fun.

Another reason I like the 4th Gen just that little bit more than the 1st Gen is even though that the 1st Gen has my favourite Legendaires the 4th Gen has way more Legendaries to catch.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Hmm... I've never found there to be much of a difficulty level to Pokemon ingame stuff. All of it comes from the multiplayer (oh, and Battle Frontier, that's fun too, even if there is a huge luck factor).

And in GSC the Pokemon league was about half way through, don't forget about the Kanto stuff, and the highest level trainer Pokemon before Platinum (Lvl. 81 Pikachu).

That's true, still, they could have higher leveled league.
I really hope that in the remakes, and, fighting Red would be awesome if they topped his pokémon up to level 100.

S

SilverHawk01

Think I would definitely vote for the second generation ( g/s/c ).

I enjoyed those games far more then any other pkmn game. In single player, training pkmn while enjoying the locations/ city's and new pkmn. Then using those pkmn I battled with my friends in school, learing new tricks etc.
That's untill most ppl gave up bringing pkmn to school because it was " childish ". With the income of the gen 3-4, I totally gave up the competitive side of the games.
I Had better things 2 do then getting my *** kicked over wifi by overused pkmn while following their rules ( smogon...).

Well I've still tried the UnderUsed tier for a while...but it was also centred 'round like 10 pkmn...

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
So many to choose from! But I would have to say the Third Generation (FR/LG/R?D).

This is mainly because I was introduced to games in the later generation. If I had played silver or gold, I probably would have liked it.

But aside from that, I thought that it had brought a lot of interesting pokemon. My favorite was Slakoth, a Sloth pokemon who is slow like a sloth. Genious! Also, the asthetics of the gameplay were definetly new.

I liked the fact that they remodeled Red and Blue for the GBA. A good idea for younger gamers.

Overall, a good generation and great installments for the series.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
So many to choose from! But I would have to say the Third Generation (FR/LG/R?D).

This is mainly because I was introduced to games in the later generation. If I had played silver or gold, I probably would have liked it.

But aside from that, I thought that it had brought a lot of interesting pokemon. My favorite was Slakoth, a Sloth pokemon who is slow like a sloth. Genious! Also, the asthetics of the gameplay were definetly new.

I liked the fact that they remodeled Red and Blue for the GBA. A good idea for younger gamers.

Overall, a good generation and great installments for the series.

Have you played the other titles?
The third gen(R/S/E, i'm not gonna mention the remakes) is so poor, compared to anyother generation with the exception of the first.
If we ignore emerald, Ruby and Saphire are as empty as Red/Blue/Yellow were, and, even if we include emerald and the remakes, they still feel voidish, after the second generation, and compared to the Fourth one.
Ruby/Saphire pretty much "die" after beating the league. Apart from Rayquaza, every other legendary can be caught before the league.
The only thing you still have left to do is to complete the Battle Tower
Emerald is just like R/S, but it has the battle frontier. Yeah, great thing, even though it has the battle frontier and the clone glitch,the game feels empty, and, it is very flawed.
It's "ramdomizer"(aka the thing that randomizes natures of pokémons, wether they are shiny or not, etc) is severely flawed.
Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of the originals, but I think that, apart from the Sevii islands sidequests(wich is hilarious, cause they could have done so MUCH more with it), the game is still untouched, basicly.

Z

zeldafan999

i like the 2nd gen the best because i grew up with them and blue and red a little gold and silver was when i could actually understand them. diamond pearl and platnim are ok

Kybyrian

Oh boy who am I kidding. I was about to put Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and I already voted D/P/Pt, but when I actually sat back and thought about Gold/Silver/Crystal, I thought, "Wow, they really were superior. The Pokemon were classic, the gyms were classic and great, nice, and challenging. We had Lance and that was epic. Lugia, Ho-Oh, Red, all that good stuff. They were truly superior if I think about it."

So consider it as my vote going towards the second generation, even though I voted on the fourth. :yuck:

Last edited:

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Have you played the other titles?
The third gen(R/S/E, i'm not gonna mention the remakes) is so poor, compared to anyother generation with the exception of the first.
If we ignore emerald, Ruby and Saphire are as empty as Red/Blue/Yellow were, and, even if we include emerald and the remakes, they still feel voidish, after the second generation, and compared to the Fourth one.
Ruby/Saphire pretty much "die" after beating the league. Apart from Rayquaza, every other legendary can be caught before the league.
The only thing you still have left to do is to complete the Battle Tower
Emerald is just like R/S, but it has the battle frontier. Yeah, great thing, even though it has the battle frontier and the clone glitch,the game feels empty, and, it is very flawed.
It's "ramdomizer"(aka the thing that randomizes natures of pokémons, wether they are shiny or not, etc) is severely flawed.
Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of the originals, but I think that, apart from the Sevii islands sidequests(wich is hilarious, cause they could have done so MUCH more with it), the game is still untouched, basicly.

Of course I've played other titles. I unfortunately have never played first gen :(, but I have played it on my friends game systems, so i know of it. I wasn't introduced to games, until I was 6, and I didn't get a GBA until I was 7 or 8, so I didn't get second gen either. But I am getting Heart and Sol when it comes out. I have played Diamond and Pearl, and I have memorized all pokemon and their evolutions (I try to keep the title Nintendo_Master, thank you). I'll stop bragging though, because no one wants to hear it.

In short, I wasn't introduced to games for the Handheld until the GBA came out, and it's not exactly like I got paid when I was 7 (at least not very much). So I haven't played them, and I can't go onto Ebay. But when I can buy it online, you better believe they will be some of my first to buy.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I'd say that if you have played the newer ones it almost isn't worth it going back to the older ones. I will use a Zelda analogy for this one.

There is a thread about whether or not OoT is an overrated Zelda game. Compared to the Zelda games made today, it is an overrated Zelda game. Saying it's the best Zelda title because it started the 3D Zelda revolution is a lie because that does not make it the "best" title, just a good start.

If you have played the newer Pokemon games it is the same thing. Were the first and second generations good, yes, but the newer ones are better because there is a much deeper storyline and much more to do in the games. I went back and played first and second gen about a month ago and found that I could beat each version in a day if I had nothing else to do (class, work, etc..) and that includes all of the side stuff there is to do. The newer Pokemon games if played straight would take a handful of days to completely everything. I bought platinum about 2 weeks ago and just beat the main stuff (badges and elite four) and that took me about 25 hours. Now it's on to capturing all of the legendary Pokemon and working on the battle frontier.

My point is, the old games are a good start, but based on what there is today, they aren't good. The stories don't really all intertwine (except for Gold and Silver allowing you to go to Kanto), so it's not like you're missing out on a chunk of the story. You're always a different person in a different world with different Pokemon.

hsb39

Why so logical?
I'd say that if you have played the newer ones it almost isn't worth it going back to the older ones. I will use a Zelda analogy for this one.

There is a thread about whether or not OoT is an overrated Zelda game. Compared to the Zelda games made today, it is an overrated Zelda game. Saying it's the best Zelda title because it started the 3D Zelda revolution is a lie because that does not make it the "best" title, just a good start.

If you have played the newer Pokemon games it is the same thing. Were the first and second generations good, yes, but the newer ones are better because there is a much deeper storyline and much more to do in the games. I went back and played first and second gen about a month ago and found that I could beat each version in a day if I had nothing else to do (class, work, etc..) and that includes all of the side stuff there is to do. The newer Pokemon games if played straight would take a handful of days to completely everything. I bought platinum about 2 weeks ago and just beat the main stuff (badges and elite four) and that took me about 25 hours. Now it's on to capturing all of the legendary Pokemon and working on the battle frontier.

My point is, the old games are a good start, but based on what there is today, they aren't good. The stories don't really all intertwine (except for Gold and Silver allowing you to go to Kanto), so it's not like you're missing out on a chunk of the story. You're always a different person in a different world with different Pokemon.

I gotta disagree with parts of that there, I think that the stories are better in first and second. I thought that they took it a bit far with the whole world destroying thing. What I thought was better in third and especially fourth was competitive stuff, Battle Frontier, EV training, it added a whole new dimension to the game.

@SilverHawk: I must teach you the ways of competitive battling so that you may understand the method in which you must play, and teach you to win with NUs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom