• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should They Add Double Type Moves?

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
One of the strategical aspects of the Pokemon series is the type of the Pokemon and the type of the move used on it. In fact, it is probably the most important strategical usage in the game. Ever since Gen I, we've had Pokemon with double types which help them not weak to some types, weak to others, more resistant to, or weaker to another specific type. On the flipside, there are zero moves that have double types. Do you think Nintendo should add double type moves?

I personally think this would be a good idea. This would help in the same way it helps the Pokemon types, gives more variety to the weaknesses and strengths of it. It would greatly change the way battles would be thought about and executed with this.

I'd welcome this change to the metagame because it would render Pokémon battles more challenging and strategic. When pondering a foe's move set, players would be compelled to reflect upon an additional factor, another type. This would in turn make combat less predictable, more fast-paced, and far more interesting. Game Freak has been dabbling in types long enough. Eventually the company will run dry of new combinations. Then double moves should come into play further spicing things up.

I don’t support Duel Type Moves. The way I see it, having Duel Type moves will bring more disadvantages then advantages. For example, if there was a Grass/Poison type move, there are already problems. Firstly Grass is the only type weak against Poison, so attacking a grass type with a Grass/Poison move won’t do super effective damage, instead it will do Neutral damage, rendering the inclusion of the Poison Type in the move useless.

Secondly it will turn some super effective moves to neutral. Attacking a Ground or Rock Type with a poison Type move will do minimal damage, however attacking a Ground or Rock Type with a Grass Type Move will deal super effective damage. So combining the two types together will do neutral damage to Ground and Rock Types, which isn’t really a good thing. With a combination of Grass and Poison, Water is the only type that will suffer from it, so what you have done is made a Grass type move that doesn’t do super effective damage to rock or ground Types, but with the upside of neutral damage to Grass Types.

With disadvantages like that, I don’t think duel type moves will work very well, However who’s to say I has to be a Physical or Special Move? I could be a status move, but then I don’t know how you would use Grass and Poison to cast status aliments or increase or decrease Stats.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Well, that actually would kind of go into the stategic purposes. While a Poison/Grass move would not be as effective damage-wise, it could still have a higher chance of poisoning the foe. Also, there would still be advantages to the neutrality. Let's say this Poison/Grass move were used by a poison-type that didn't know any other better moves to use. This move would still be more effective than the other moves it may possess.

While a Poison/Grass move would not be as effective damage-wise, it could still have a higher chance of poisoning the foe.

Except it doesn't necessarily need to poison the target. Not all Poison Type Moves can inflict a Poison, Venoshock is an example. instead of inflicting a Poison, it does double the damage if the target is poisoned. because of this, the Secondary effect is irrelevant to the actual typing because the secondary effect can be anything.

Let's say this Poison/Grass move were used by a poison-type that didn't know any other better moves to use. This move would still be more effective than the other moves it may possess.

I'm afraid not. I figured out that having Poison on it's own is better then having it paired up with the Grass Type. with a Combination of Grass/Poison, The move will be weak against Fire, ghost, Dragon, Bug and Flying types, and to add it will be very weak against Poison itself. As for the Steel type, I think that depends on the primary Type, so if it was Grass/Poison, then it would attack Steel Types although it will be not very effective damage, but if it was Poison/Grass, then it would do no damage to Steel Types. (Don't quote me on that, I'm not too sure.)

That said, Although Grass/Poison has a possibility of hitting Steel Types, Poison alone makes up for it by having more neutral attacks and it will regain a super effective attack on Grass.

Now thinking about it, Because we have no idea what will happen to a Steel Type if it is hit by a Grass/Poison Type move, I think that's reason enough not to include Duel Type Moves due to the complexity of type Matchups.

Last edited:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Ther is almost nothing complex about type match ups?Its all realtivly simple. Not all moves would be dule types i just got an idea moves have a secendry type based on the polemon type (i the type could add secenddary effects also)

I think that they should. That's all, no reasoning or anything like that, just that I think they should.

:love: TheVampireSlaye

Rachel

be vigitant
I think adding in dual type moves would spice up the formula bit more.

Say if a move was Normal/Dark, would that affect a Ghost type Pokemon? Normal type moves don't (usually) affect Ghost type Pokemon, so would this dual type move hit or be ineffectual?

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I think they should go ahead and do it but not do a bunch of double type moves but just a handful to see how it works.
It would definitely add more strategy to competitive play if anyone even does that anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom