• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Generations

Which Pokemon Generation was your favorite?

• Generation 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generation 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

• Generation 3 (FR/LG/Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire)

• Generation 4 (Pearl, Diamond, Platinum)

• I like them all equally

• Total voters

General Lee

Classic Gamer
Hm this is tough. Im gonna have to say 2nd gen first, and 1st gen a close second. As people have said I "grew up" on these generations, and I can't stop loving them. I just bought gen 1&2 boxed off Ebay for 125$, as my sister took my gen 1&2 games. I did not regret it, and I still enjoy Pokemon, whether it be just getting your Pokémon stronger, going to the gyms (I used to love the intensity of the harder gyms). Gen 3 was what got me back into Pokémon, and I also remember pre-ordering Fire Red, I was at my grandparents In the USA (I live in Canada btw) and I called my dad who was still at home to go pre order them. I have not really gotten into Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, so I cant say much about them, other then I find there are just too many Pokémon now.

hsb39

Why so logical?
Hm this is tough. Im gonna have to say 2nd gen first, and 1st gen a close second. As people have said I "grew up" on these generations, and I can't stop loving them. I just bought gen 1&2 boxed off Ebay for 125$, as my sister took my gen 1&2 games. I did not regret it, and I still enjoy Pokemon, whether it be just getting your Pokémon stronger, going to the gyms (I used to love the intensity of the harder gyms). Gen 3 was what got me back into Pokémon, and I also remember pre-ordering Fire Red, I was at my grandparents In the USA (I live in Canada btw) and I called my dad who was still at home to go pre order them. I have not really gotten into Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, so I cant say much about them, other then I find there are just too many Pokémon now.

Maybe the Gold/Silver remake will get you into 4th gen. I know that I've mentioned it already, but I'm just so exited!

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I bought Platinum yesterday, and I have to admit, so far it's not too bad. While I don't think it's as good as the 1st/2nd gens, it's still a lot better than I thought.
Of course, I'm not very far in it (just beat the 2nd gym), so things could change, but hopefully they'd be for the better.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
This is quite a hard question because, on what terms you judge the generations like: The games, The anime, The list of pokemon of the generation, the originality.

And i need to really think this trough before i can give an honest awnser.
But i can tell you one thing right now, i don't dislike any of the generations.

LinkAlmighty

Waker of the Winds
Like many others here, I grew up with the 1st two generations, in fact, Pokemon Blue was my very first game. So I was really torn between the two, I love the mechanics and upgrades that came with G/S/C, but I love the Pokemon and story of R/B/Y much better than 2nd gen's story and Pokemon.

I voted 2nd gen because, while the story and difficulty were lacking (admit it, Team Rocket and the level of your opponents were pathetic) I really loved those 3, those were the ones that I played to death, literally, my Gold is dead now, my sister's silver is dead, and my Crystal's time is all screwed upped. The day and night features and the new Pokemon as well as many other features, are what made this generation so great. Even if Kanto was watered down greatly, it was still nice to go back & see the changes (I still hate what they did to the Viridian Forest though). And being able to face Red was a real bonus. Funnily enough, while for me the trend is that the 3rd game in each gen has always been my favourite (Yellow, Emerald and Platinum) with Crystal, this isn't the case, even though it touched upped in some places, I never really cared about Suicune, I prefered facing Ho-Oh in Gold.

The 1st gen comes in second because it had the most originality. The original 151 Pokemon were the best, the music was awesome (I still whistle the bike tune) and the evilness of Team Rocket (and I don't mean crazy environmentalist or a nutcase who wants to create a new world) kept me determined to stop them. And Yellow was and might still be my fav of the Pokemon games.

I'd say the 4th gen is third because I really love Platinum's story and look. And I say Platinum on it's own because it did a lot to Diamond & Pearl, I don't think I can go back now and play my Diamond. The way they filled in the gaps in the story and made Cyrus even more demonic, plus the good old animation and other features that were fixed upped makes this one a contender for my fav. Although, the reason it's falls behind the others is that it's lost a lot of the old originality and it has so many Pokemon that I really couldn't care less about catching em' all anymore. Plus the Pokemon are no longer nice or cool, they're just there. On the flip side, this is the generation that will have the Gold & Silver remakes, & if they turn out good, I might have to change my mind.

So that leaves the 3rd generation. Even though Emerald was my favourite for a while (Rayquaza is awesome) I still feel that this is where my love for Pokemon started to slip. Even though the lands and stories were getting better, I just didn't care as much in this one. This is when I originally thought that they had gone overboard with the number of Pokemon, the most I did was catch the required 200 in Sapphire and Emerald, and since I had spent 300 hours in total on Emerald, I said screw the last 100 whatever Pokemon. I also didn't care for the setup of the gyms, for example: in Ruby, you catch a ground type legendary...then you go face a high leveled water pokemon gym...But I did like what Emerald did story wise: infilitrating both HQ's and watching Rayquaza intervene in Kyorge and Groudon's fight was cool.

All in all, I'd say I love them all almost equally, but I didn't select that because I knew generation 1 and 2 were the obvious winners, with the features of 2 beating the originality of 1. Either way though Pokemon FT2ndW, with Zelda being the first win still:)

hsb39

Why so logical?
This is quite a hard question because, on what terms you judge the generations like: The games, The anime, The list of pokemon of the generation, the originality.

And i need to really think this trough before i can give an honest awnser.
But i can tell you one thing right now, i don't dislike any of the generations.

Yeah, that's subjective, I base it of games, competitive environment, and how I played them.

(I still whistle the bike tune)

I'm not the only one!!!

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
In my opinion, the fun in Emerald dies in the moment you are able to catch a LVL 70 Rayquaza before going to the Pokémon league.
I thought it was very lazy of them not to re-level Rayquaza into a level 45 or so pokémon.
A lot of my friends, passed the league based on Rayquaza and lots of Hyper Potions and Revives.

Right now, I've been playing a lot of Leaf Green. I have more than 16 hours of game, and I'm still trading my team.

I wanna go to the league with Venusaur(I started with Bulbie:)), Charizard and Blastoise(traded from a friend's fire red), Pidgeot(another pokémon I love and have been using since the beggining), and there's one free slot that I don't know who will occupy it.

I'm am thinking either on Lapras or Jolteon, or maybe I'll just use those five

I am torn between generation one and two!! D:

Pokémon yellow, even though it is just the basic made me addicted to the games, I was proud of the progress of my Pikachu. The gold/silver games, I played them only bits, when I borrowed them from my brother. Until I got a Crystal version of my own. I wanted to pass my 'Yellow' Pokémons. XD

I even started to like the Stadiums titles because of these two titles, renting Pokémon and battle is nothing that fun t me, I was confused about the turns and stuff. Until I played the game boy ones it made sense the effects and attacks and I started to enjoy battling. Besides seeing your Pokémon in minigames was cool as heck.

I wanted the next generation, but I could affod to spend money, so I only played bits through my brother. I want to play them eventually.

I can relate with what linkAlmighty mentiones, about that the amount of Pokemon was so big taht it kind of kills inme the desire to catch'em all.

hsb39

Why so logical?
In my opinion, the fun in Emerald dies in the moment you are able to catch a LVL 70 Rayquaza before going to the Pokémon league.
I thought it was very lazy of them not to re-level Rayquaza into a level 45 or so pokémon.
A lot of my friends, passed the league based on Rayquaza and lots of Hyper Potions and Revives.

Right now, I've been playing a lot of Leaf Green. I have more than 16 hours of game, and I'm still trading my team.

I wanna go to the league with Venusaur(I started with Bulbie:)), Charizard and Blastoise(traded from a friend's fire red), Pidgeot(another pokémon I love and have been using since the beggining), and there's one free slot that I don't know who will occupy it.

I'm am thinking either on Lapras or Jolteon, or maybe I'll just use those five

Well the E4 is always ridiculously easy. So I don't think that the Quaza makes much difference, especially since that means your friends aren't EVing it.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
yes, that's the point.

The E4 is easy if you start with, let's say, Torchic, because 99% of the League's pokémon are weak to fighting moves.

the ones that aren't are not that tough, either

DCMN

Hero of Internet
I've never played Generation II, so thats out by default.
Gen I is the original, and has an interesting region, fun gyms but a poor selection of legendaries, Gen III improves on most things from GI, but feels like a stepback compared to GII. I'm not too fond of Gen IV, the 3D makes it feel slower, the Pokemon are a vast improvement over Hoenn's, but the amount of legendaries is overkill and a lot of the new evolutions for older Pokemon are just weird (Tangrowth, Lickilicky etc.).

So I havn't really got an exact favourite, each Gen has its advantages and disavantages. But in a short manner it would be;

RBY
RSE
DPP

From me.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I'm not too fond of Gen IV, the 3D makes it feel slower, the Pokemon are a vast improvement over Hoenn's, but the amount of legendaries is overkill and a lot of the new evolutions for older Pokemon are just weird (Tangrowth, Lickilicky etc.).

Diamond and Pearl feel a little slow, specially when you are swimming, but, in case you didn't know, that was solved in Platinum.
They fastened up the surfing speed and now it is even faster than in generation III.

Also, you should really pick up one of the Gen II games, they come cheap in second handed stores, and are awesome

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
As i said before, i don't know what to judge on, but i will start with the games. These are my opinions.

1st gen:
Yes it all started here, i grew up with these games when i was little.
As for the pokemon list, it was quite good. With legendaries, I really liked mewtwo, and is still my fave legendary. Also liked the missingo glitch.

2nd gen:
A few little extras compared to the first game. Pokemon list was not too shabby, there where some awsome in the list but some of them totally sucks. Legendaries where cool, but i don't like celebi that much.

3rd gen:
I think this game started a revolution on the pokemon games. EV, IV and Natures. These elements prevented that all same pokemon (for instance, your pikachu and your apponents pikachu) had the equal stats. So there was variation and could make good use of is based on Base stats and Moveset. As for the list, it has a cool pokemon list. It has also awsome main legendaries, especialy with the ability drought and drizzle.

4th gen:
Cool thing about this game was is that every move was either based on pyshical or special. So it was not more only based on types creating more variation. With the pokemon list, many new evolutions, and most of them are quite powerfull compared to the last generation. Negative thing about that is, that people will overuse them and the pokemon from previeuw generations are a little left out. But some pokemon designs where quite lame, as if nintendo was running out of ideas. Main legendaries are quite awsome, espcialy the unique type combination. but besides that, they made too much legendaries in this gen, and now there is too much psychic type legendaries.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
3rd gen:
I think this game started a revolution on the pokemon games. EV, IV and Natures. These elements prevented that all same pokemon (for instance, your pikachu and your apponents pikachu) had the equal stats. So there was variation and could make good use of is based on Base stats and Moveset. As for the list, it has a cool pokemon list. It has also awsome main legendaries, especialy with the ability drought and drizzle.

You can say, without doubts that, even though the games were kinda inferior to the ones of the Second generation, R/S/E/Fr/Lg started to give a lot more consistency to the competetivity of Pokémon.
EV training is not an easy thing to do, and it requires patience and some skill to properly calculate it.

4th gen:
Cool thing about this game was is that every move was either based on pyshical or special. So it was not more only based on types creating more variation. With the pokemon list, many new evolutions, and most of them are quite powerfull compared to the last generation. Negative thing about that is, that people will overuse them and the pokemon from previeuw generations are a little left out. But some pokemon designs where quite lame, as if nintendo was running out of ideas. Main legendaries are quite awsome, espcialy the unique type combination. but besides that, they made too much legendaries in this gen, and now there is too much psychic type legendaries.

I liked the way that they splitted some moves into Physical and others into Special, it helped even more the development of teams.
For those who don't know, before the Fourth Generation came out, all moves of a certain type were pre-labeled as physical or special. For example: All Psychic moves were special, while, all fighting moves were physical.

And I agree with you Oni, there are too many Psychic legendaries(I don't really like this game's trio, but I like Cresselia)

hsb39

Why so logical?
As i said before, i don't know what to judge on, but i will start with the games. These are my opinions.

1st gen:
Yes it all started here, i grew up with these games when i was little.
As for the pokemon list, it was quite good. With legendaries, I really liked mewtwo, and is still my fave legendary. Also liked the missingo glitch.

2nd gen:
A few little extras compared to the first game. Pokemon list was not too shabby, there where some awsome in the list but some of them totally sucks. Legendaries where cool, but i don't like celebi that much.

3rd gen:

4th gen:

I agree with you with most of that, but you said a few wrong things that I think that I should clear up:

- There was IVs from the start, and EVs, except the IVs only went to 15 and there was no EV cap (so there might as well have not been EVs). But there was stat variation.
- There was always a physical special split, but it was done by types (eg. all Dark Moves were special), so the changes were huge, greatly affecting some Pokemon (like Alakazam, who lost the elemental punches), but there was always a difference.

You can say, without doubts that, even though the games were kinda inferior to the ones of the Second generation, R/S/E/Fr/Lg started to give a lot more consistency to the competetivity of Pokémon.
EV training is not an easy thing to do, and it requires patience and some skill to properly calculate it.

Well DPP made EV training quite easy, it takes just a bit over 30 1 point Pokemon to complete a 252 / 252 / 6 EV spread, if you do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom