• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda II Healing Lady

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
I'd have assumed she was inviting him in to sleep, not to sleep with him. And if you think about it, when you're just going somewhere to sleep do you really need to see the inside of the house? Especially if you're not going to be sticking around after?

The point people keep raising about the limited technological capabilities could well be drawn up here as well. If you're invited in and get to see the inside of the house, it'd probably include an extra frame or two of animation for Link sleeping/laying down. Of course this would also slow down the journey if you find yourself doing this regularly (grinding), so it's easier to just pull him in, heal him up, and send him out again.

Why the people seem to move as though no time has passed outside? Whatever excuse you throw in this is an issue, and could well be seen as 'putting too much thought into it'.

Skunk

Floof
At least Link is a man, in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, there's a creepy lady who tells you to sleep in her house over and over and over again. Her name is Old Lady. Sounds sketchy seeing as your at least 10...

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I personally don't think he has sex with the healing ladies. My theory is that they let Link rest, tend to his injuries, and possibly give him some potions to restore his health/magic. I don't believe Link's character would sleep around with other women behind Zelda's back. He would want to heal his wounds quickly and continue his adventure.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Perhaps it is because of my admittedly unfair bias against this game, but I think it's actually worse than what people are making it out to be. If you think about what the characteristics of this Link and of all that happened before in the timeline, I can piece together what happened. SS's Link was obviously the first and the most pure, and his spirit of the hero is passed on down to the next iteration. In most games the hero is still pure of heart, but in the last games of the child and and downfall timeline we start to see some corruption of this spirit. TP insinuates that there is a darkness within Link, and we see a short glimpse into this dark side of Link.

But it is my postulation that something corrupted the spirit of the hero in the downfall timeline, when the Hero of Time died. Perhaps this has something to do with the split timelines; this branch got the short end of the stick. The incarnation found in ALttP and the direct sequels was still close enough to the rise of Ganon to be largely unaffected by this. Not so with Zelda 1 and 2's Link. By that time Hyrule had fallen into a state of ruin, and Link was never described as a hero, just a traveler who happened to come across Impa. In Zelda 1 he was still young and pretty neutral. He simply went out to collect the Triforce pieces and rescue the princess, because that's just what you're supposed to do, right? But by the time of his 16th birthday he has become corrupted by the world itself, his constant fighting, and the deterioration of the spirit.

Now he's worse than the monster he had fought and slain back in his youth, the proverbial words of Nietzsche coming to fruition. Oh, he's still destined to complete the Triforce, but that's merely a side effect of the deteriorating-but-still-functional spirit of the hero. We know that the Triforce is not infallible, since the Triforce of Power always seeks those who most embody that attribute, which has so far always ended up in the villain's possession. The Link in this game is 16, and since he has grown up in a ruined and evil world, and since his horomones are in overdrive right now, all he can think about is sex. When he goes through a town he can't help but stop in at the local brothel. There's no issue of loyalty here. Link's not loyal to Zelda; he's simply going along with Impa's prophesy to satisfy his desires with the local royalty. What an absolute pig he's turned into.

And if you really think about it, this explains the appearance of that old man right before you face Dark Link. The rest of the enemies set in place by the ancient king were simple-minded monsters that acted according to their training. They could not have forseen the corruption of the hero, and therefore act as simple bodyguards in all the palaces, including the Great Palace. But the king had an ace in the hole should something unforseen were to happen. He instructed the most powerful mage in his court to stand guard in the room with the Triforce of Courage as a failsafe.

He's there to give one final test to the hero who is to claim the Triforce of Courage, to be sure, but he may also act as a last-ditch effort to keep it out of evil hands. Normally he would simply give a challenging yet ultimately non-lethal test to whoever gets through the incredibly difficult Great Palace. However, when he saw the true nature of the supposed "hero" who walked through the doors, he hurriedly cast a spell that caused the shadow of Link to come alive and attack him relentlessly. This is the ultimate spell; since it is meant to know the enemies better than they know themselves it was never meant to be beaten. This is no test, he's doing everything he can to kill this corrupted "hero" before a calamity happens.

Of course, due to the sheer skills of Link, he manages to somehow defeat this ultimate spell and pries the Triforce of Courage from the old man's possession. Good thing for the rest of the world that he's merely a slave to his physical desires, who knows what would have happened had decided to do some real harm...

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Congratulations, you have won the most disturbing thread ever award.

Pretty sure it's just like in Pokemon with the pokemon centers...it would be pointless to show the healing. I think he has more dignity than to be sleeping with everything that moves. Not to mention, there's always a chance that by the end of the game, he would have a LOT of kids because of that. Lol I wonder if Hyrule has child support laws? He would be so broke, he'd be wearing paper sacks for shoes -_- Just think of how many times the average person playing the game visits the healing ladies...average that out. I'd estimate there'd be like 9 or 10 children fathered by the hero in green. And if all those healing ladies make him pay child support...yeah, if Link has half a brain(and he does), he wouldnt be out doing THAT.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Congratulations, you have won the most disturbing thread ever award.

Yes I have, and this is the host for tonight's ceremony:
View attachment 29000

In all seriousness though, I didn't pick up on this stuff until a recent playthrough a few months back. The suggestive imagery and lack of explanation for anything in the game were more than I could ignore. This, coupled with everything else I already didn't like about the game and the new things I picked up on that I didn't like, have mutilated my opinion of it to the point where I can legitimately call it bad. Now I am forced to write up increasingly derogatory theories as a defense mechanism from this game.

Somebody help me....

I have heard this theory plenty of times, its a bit of a leap in logic sex will not heal wounds it is however a good cardiovascular activity.. Jumping to the conclusion that she is a potion lady seems more logical because we have seen that method of healing previously established... Alternativly she may have a swarm of filthy faries enslaved in there

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I have heard this theory plenty of times, its a bit of a leap in logic sex will not heal wounds it is however a good cardiovascular activity.. Jumping to the conclusion that she is a potion lady seems more logical because we have seen that method of healing previously established... Alternativly she may have a swarm of filthy faries enslaved in there
Exactly! Idk about the healing ladies having a bunch of fairies, but...I cant resist making this bad pun that I failed to make in my last post...

Link has more dignity than that. He wouldnt be out...*puts on sunglasses* screwing around. :lol:

EDIT - Sir Quaffler...yes, your post was more disturbing than the op, but since you didnt make the topic, I'm sorry, but you didnt win that award. *snatches trophy and gives it to Link Dude*

Last edited:

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
Until people brought up this whole 'sex'- thing going between Link and the Healing Lady, I lived blissfully in the thought that the woman had some sort of a healing potion he happily gave to our hero. It's not like Nintendo to put sex (yes, even if it's not directly classified as sex, in this case) in games.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Thank you Dragoncat for the award. And good Sir who's name I can't finish because I'm typing on my iPod, reading your post further helps me think my theory may be true. I understand your post there and agree with the most of it. Nice post guy.

Well, using sound video game logic, what happens when in Grand Theft Auto, you pick up a (lets keep this clean) 'working girl' and drive her into a park at night, the car shakes a little bit, but your life points are increased. Seems to be a theme going here. As far as the old lady that fills up the magic, hmm, well maybe Link likes a milf every now and then, or a grand milf.... gmilf?

caleb11roy

Hero of Rhyme
I do believe it's Sex! I mean in this kind of game they could have just healed you right where you're standing! In the event that Link was simply sleeping, then the screen would fade to black and return to show the pass of time! The sex with the young lady is most certainly a stress reliever however, what about the old lady! For link it was never about the sex, otherwise he would not sleep with the old hag when there is a young sexy fox right down the street! It was just one of those things he had to do to save his girl! Link is a dedicated man who would do anything for his Princess!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Perhaps it is because of my admittedly unfair bias against this game, but I think it's actually worse than what people are making it out to be. If you think about what the characteristics of this Link and of all that happened before in the timeline, I can piece together what happened. SS's Link was obviously the first and the most pure, and his spirit of the hero is passed on down to the next iteration. In most games the hero is still pure of heart, but in the last games of the child and and downfall timeline we start to see some corruption of this spirit. TP insinuates that there is a darkness within Link, and we see a short glimpse into this dark side of Link.

But it is my postulation that something corrupted the spirit of the hero in the downfall timeline, when the Hero of Time died. Perhaps this has something to do with the split timelines; this branch got the short end of the stick. The incarnation found in ALttP and the direct sequels was still close enough to the rise of Ganon to be largely unaffected by this. Not so with Zelda 1 and 2's Link. By that time Hyrule had fallen into a state of ruin, and Link was never described as a hero, just a traveler who happened to come across Impa. In Zelda 1 he was still young and pretty neutral. He simply went out to collect the Triforce pieces and rescue the princess, because that's just what you're supposed to do, right? But by the time of his 16th birthday he has become corrupted by the world itself, his constant fighting, and the deterioration of the spirit.

Now he's worse than the monster he had fought and slain back in his youth, the proverbial words of Nietzsche coming to fruition. Oh, he's still destined to complete the Triforce, but that's merely a side effect of the deteriorating-but-still-functional spirit of the hero. We know that the Triforce is not infallible, since the Triforce of Power always seeks those who most embody that attribute, which has so far always ended up in the villain's possession. The Link in this game is 16, and since he has grown up in a ruined and evil world, and since his horomones are in overdrive right now, all he can think about is sex. When he goes through a town he can't help but stop in at the local brothel. There's no issue of loyalty here. Link's not loyal to Zelda; he's simply going along with Impa's prophesy to satisfy his desires with the local royalty. What an absolute pig he's turned into.

And if you really think about it, this explains the appearance of that old man right before you face Dark Link. The rest of the enemies set in place by the ancient king were simple-minded monsters that acted according to their training. They could not have forseen the corruption of the hero, and therefore act as simple bodyguards in all the palaces, including the Great Palace. But the king had an ace in the hole should something unforseen were to happen. He instructed the most powerful mage in his court to stand guard in the room with the Triforce of Courage as a failsafe.

He's there to give one final test to the hero who is to claim the Triforce of Courage, to be sure, but he may also act as a last-ditch effort to keep it out of evil hands. Normally he would simply give a challenging yet ultimately non-lethal test to whoever gets through the incredibly difficult Great Palace. However, when he saw the true nature of the supposed "hero" who walked through the doors, he hurriedly cast a spell that caused the shadow of Link to come alive and attack him relentlessly. This is the ultimate spell; since it is meant to know the enemies better than they know themselves it was never meant to be beaten. This is no test, he's doing everything he can to kill this corrupted "hero" before a calamity happens.

Of course, due to the sheer skills of Link, he manages to somehow defeat this ultimate spell and pries the Triforce of Courage from the old man's possession. Good thing for the rest of the world that he's merely a slave to his physical desires, who knows what would have happened had decided to do some real harm...

Having now read this... even though I disagree with it completely as far as canon goes, I'm wondering if you write fanfic or would like to try your hand at writing fanfic, because this could make one of the greatest Zelda darkfics ever! I occasionally play with moral questions inside various Links' heads in my own stories (I actually did corrupt the Hero of Time a bit in a recent crossover that kind of required it as per the guidelines of the other, non-LoZ canon the story was a cross to). I would even garner that A Link to the Past's Link could be easily portrayed as not "utterly pure" because he has to kill brainwashed Hyrule soldiers, who, if not taken by the dark powers, would have been on his side - setting sword to them rather than seeing if he could bring them back to their right minds...

Bonus points if you use the LoZ 80s/early 90s cartoon where Link *actually is* a bit of a lusty pig.

*Hands you a pen.*

ALRIGHT. Why did my original post get deleted? I don't think any person's behind this, it's just the computer system on this board.

I had something originally about how I'm certain that the healing lady is just a healing lady and NOT a sexual healer because not only would that not make a lick of sense, I think even Nintendo has limits... They do put some suggestive content in games, but if that was meant to be suggestive, I think it was only meant by implication (like the sounds Pipit's mother makes in Skyward Sword when you use the Gust Bellows on her - NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS). It's possible that it was a humor bonus, but given that some hunched over old woman does the same for you in AoL (for the magic), I think the healing ladies in read are just nurses/healers who give Link potions and patch up wounds - like the nurses in Pokemon.

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Having now read this... even though I disagree with it completely as far as canon goes, I'm wondering if you write fanfic or would like to try your hand at writing fanfic, because this could make one of the greatest Zelda darkfics ever! I occasionally play with moral questions inside various Links' heads in my own stories (I actually did corrupt the Hero of Time a bit in a recent crossover that kind of required it as per the guidelines of the other, non-LoZ canon the story was a cross to). I would even garner that A Link to the Past's Link could be easily portrayed as not "utterly pure" because he has to kill brainwashed Hyrule soldiers, who, if not taken by the dark powers, would have been on his side - setting sword to them rather than seeing if he could bring them back to their right minds...

Bonus points if you use the LoZ 80s/early 90s cartoon where Link *actually is* a bit of a lusty pig.

*Hands you a pen.*

I've never written fanfic before, but I think I'll give my hand at this particular idea, since I've already got the idea of it. I read some interesting ones before, one in particular about Link being defeated by Ganondorf and having his wive Zelda and their child killed by falling rubble (they were laying siege to Hyrule Castle), then losing his memory. Ganondorf brainwashed him to get rid of the pain of his loss, he thinks he's Ganondorf's brother, they go about killing all the Sages, Link becomes even darker than Ganondorf which worries the latter, and in the end they have a brawl where Link cuts off Ganondorf's head after having been revealed by Saria the last remaining Sage of who he was. Great stuff, looked like a lot of fun to write, and I think this idea right here would be pretty good too.[/QUOTE]

I had something originally about how I'm certain that the healing lady is just a healing lady and NOT a sexual healer because not only would that not make a lick of sense, I think even Nintendo has limits... They do put some suggestive content in games, but if that was meant to be suggestive, I think it was only meant by implication (like the sounds Pipit's mother makes in Skyward Sword when you use the Gust Bellows on her - NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS). It's possible that it was a humor bonus, but given that some hunched over old woman does the same for you in AoL (for the magic), I think the healing ladies in read are just nurses/healers who give Link potions and patch up wounds - like the nurses in Pokemon.

Looking back, that may very well be the case, but I can dream can't I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom