• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rupee System: Liked or Disliked?

rupee system: liked / disliked?

• liked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • disliked

• dont care

• Total voters
D

dsonics

I just wanted to know if anybody liked the way rupee system in skyward sword. i did.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
Am I missing something? I found it to be exactly the same as it was in every other Zelda game. It worked well in those and it works well in SS

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Eh, I really didn't care for the rupee system in this game, probably by rupee you mean economy. I mean, rupees were difficult to find versus other games, but to counter that, you DID have upgrades to buy so if you could earn money all willy nilly, that'd be a huge problem. And as I recall you can sell treasures among other things, so money isn't all too hard to come by, you just can't get it via grass like we did in games previous to it.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I liked it very much. I always had just enough rupees to buy what I needed, when I needed it. I never had too many or too few rupees. It was never a hassle to find rupees, either. The dungeons and the overworlds were full of them. There were also the Rupee Medals and the Curse Medal to help you out if you wanted to find rupees quickly. All in all, I'd say Skyward Sword had the best rupee system in the game.

I liked the Rupee system in SS, but I didn't think it was much better than those of predecessing Zelda games - though I did enjoy the excess of wallet upgrades to be found in the game in contrast to past ones.

The one complaint I've heard was that Rupees were too hard to find in SS, but I don't agree. It was somewhat, but I think this slight difficulty was magnified by the fact that wallet upgrades were easily acquired in SS. When there's more room in your wallet, you want to fill it all up, and it's harder to do. In a game like OoT, where you have a 99- or 200-Rupee wallet, the Rupees falsely appear more abundant because your wallet is filled to the brim more often and any Rupees you find can't be keeped. But then in SS, you are generally able to keep all the Rupees you find, so you want them more, making them seem harder to find. Also, in SS, there's more to spend your Rupees on. The upgrade system and just the sheer fact that there were more items to purchase emptied out your wallet more often, and made having Rupees a bit more of a necessity. If you wanted to buy one or more of the plethora of items, it was imperative to collect Rupees, which made collecting Rupees seem a bit tedious, and thus made it seem as if finding Rupees was harder; and also, with the aforementioned added wallet space, items generally cost more in SS, so more Rupees needed to be collected. So overall, I think Rupees were just as easy to find in SS, but they were made more of a necessity and carried a false sense of rarity.

Hated it. There are like no rupees in this game. I like it better when a game is littered with rupees, not in a rupee recession. And what was up with there being no items in the grass? The game practically forces you to buy all your items. I'm the freakin' hero here! They should give me those arrows for free! SS is the first LoZ game where my wallet STILL isn't full.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Loved it. For the first time in forever, rupees actually had a legit purpose. Thing is, though, unlike in games like LoZ and ALttP, rupees weren't forced to be spent. Anything and everything available for purchase was completely optional. This is a good thing because it eliminates the need for any kind of rupee farming. Even when you do buy all the optional items, though, the game always seems to have provided you with just the right amount of rupees to spend and have your wallet emptied. All the multiple money sinks in the game were just great, and it really helped the flow of the game. It wasn't anything major, but it certainly made a positive impact on the game, and you've done something right if you've accomplished that. Just one of the many reasons why I love Skyward Sword. Thank you, Nintendo.

Hated it. There are like no rupees in this game. I like it better when a game is littered with rupees, not in a rupee recession. And what was up with there being no items in the grass? The game practically forces you to buy all your items. I'm the freakin' hero here! They should give me those arrows for free! SS is the first LoZ game where my wallet STILL isn't full.

There's a thing called resource management, and SS took advantage of that immensely by doing these things.

Skyward Sword has by far my favorite economy (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to) of the Zelda series. Other games' mishandling of the rupees has been a constant complaint of mine about the series for a long time. The only games prior to Skyward Sword that actually did decent with it in my eyes were Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (the latter doing it the best). Skyward Sword excels at it even more than those games, though. There are tons of rupees and many, many ways to acquire them. Capacity upgrades are easy to acquire, but require constant upgrading just the same. And there's always tons of stuff to spend your money on, so it's a very useful -- even necessary -- collectible.

Eh, I really didn't care for the rupee system in this game, probably by rupee you mean economy. I mean, rupees were difficult to find versus other games, but to counter that, you DID have upgrades to buy so if you could earn money all willy nilly, that'd be a huge problem. And as I recall you can sell treasures among other things, so money isn't all too hard to come by, you just can't get it via grass like we did in games previous to it.
What caused you not to care about it? And you can get rupees in grass just like any other Zelda game; I found tons in grass.

No offense but if you had this much trouble finding rupees, you're not playing the game right. There are rupees in grass all over the place as always, treasures and bugs sell for good sums of rupees, and most mini-games give off huge payments for even just decent scores, particularly Thrill Digger and the Lightning Round.

I don't see why you're disappointed that you can't fill up your wallet. That was a fault of previous games. If rupees had ever been some kind of alternate collectible, I would see where you were coming from (and honestly it would be fascinating if stockpiling currency would allow you to, I dunno, boost your power or something), but the fact is that it's money. Why would you expect to not need to spend it?

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
It seems like a bit much to me. Most games have two wallet upgrades but Skyward Sword has four plus three Extra Wallets that you have to buy. It just doesn't seem right to me. I would be more willing to let it go if all of them weren't obtained by the same method; they might as well have left one of the wallets out and replaced it with something else. It's a trivial complaint anyway. It doesn't really affect me when I'm playing but when I think about it it feels like too much.

Another thing: I didn't like 9,900 being the maximum because I subconsciously think the maximum is 9,999, like in Spirit Tracks.

univpark

Heart of Steel
I liked the system. I had enough to spend, because of selling bugs and stuff, and there was so much to buy! I'd walk in and just buy stuff, even when my little brother yelled at me because he wanted the Bug Medal more than that Piece of Heart.

And the minigames just gave out soooo many Rupees...

Skywaker

Cheese & bacon potato
I liked it. Since I would always spend my time in Skyloft rolling into trees and and whacking bushes for rupees, the wallet expansion thing was really helpful, especially since I would fill up my wallet rather quickly xD. ^^ Also there was a vast selection of items to buy as said in the above posts.

Oh, and because of all the wallet expansions, I was able to afford all of the items I needed for my adventure. ^^ Overall, out of all the Zelda games I've played, I believe SS has the best system.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Not only did I like the ruppee system itself, I also liked that it was harder to find them. This made me want to conserve them more for the larger objects rather than getting those early and then having basically nothing else to buy.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I honestly haven no clue what everyone is talking about, I find rupees in the grass ALL THE TIME, I have a large wallet with a 900 rupee extension and I filled it up today after only an hour in Lake Floria and the very first room of the Ancient Cistern, in my opinion money was waaaay too easy to come buy, I already have Beedle bought out except for the piece of heart, hell, I don't even have the cursed medal or the rupee medal and I find blue rupees in the grass pretty often.

It's probably because they weren't as common as they were in the past. Still, I'm with you in that I found them more than often and always had the right amount of rupees at the right times. Farming was never an issue for me, so I don't know where these people are coming from, either.

All you had to do is carry a Rupee Medal if you had a hard time collecting them, I always found myself with more than enough, but no where near the amount as previous games.

That's what I liked about The SS rupee system. You couldn't collect an outrageous amount of money, rather, you collected enough to use your money appropriately. Rupees are worthless unless you have things to spend them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom