• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Link Was a Girl in the Next Zelda Game?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
the whole rescuing the princess thing would be... Awkward...

How would it be awkward? Link doesn't rescue the princess in every game! And even when he does, he doesn't do more than...rescue her! (exceptions being LoZ, AoL, OoX Linked Game) There wouldn't be anything different since Link and Zelda are, at best, portrayed as best friends! :)

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I honestly don't care. Nintendo can do what they want. This reminds me of an image......
Warning Bad Language.
scaled.php

No, I don't like the idea of Link being a girl at all. It would bother me quite a bit actually, and yes, I am a girl so this isn't a sexist statement. I just don't think that corrupting the formula would be a good idea. Link has always been a male, and it should stay that way. Nintendo does a good job of giving power to the women by allowing Zelda to participate in the game and be a large help, too. It would just feel like it was a different story, or even legend if Link was a girl.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Link is already wearing a skirt of sorts. Also don't forget about those tight leggings...All jokes aside I would see no difference in Link being a girl. I would still name her Link however.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
1Link has always been a male, and it should stay that way. 2Nintendo does a good job of giving power to the women by allowing Zelda to participate in the game and be a large help, too.

1) Well, we technically had a playable "female Link" in the form of Female Mascot.

2) I don't agree with this -- in almost every Zelda, Zelda herself is always the damsel in distress, a useless character who does nothing more than get captured and drives the plot. More often than not, it is something else such as the ToWisdom that gives Zelda her "importance"; Zelda herself is but a vessel. Zelda should be allowed to do MORE in the series than sit around. Not saying Nintendo is sexist (pretty sure they're far from it), but I don't like how they treat Zelda. You don't name the series "Legend of Zelda" but make the character herself downright useless.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Maybe if it was part of the actual game itself. Kind of like in ST where you can use Zelda to possess some enemies in the...(whatever the equivalent of the Temple of The Ocean King is in this game)[Tower of Spirit?]. What if Link and Zelda Merged together to become one fighting force.

If you need magic, Link could transform into Zelda and if you'd prefer a sword and shield then Link's your guy. The first objective in this game is to get one out of the other...

EDIT: Now that I read this back...it's more like Wolf Link and Link in TP...

You could always link it back to the etymology of the word hermaphrodite for your mythological reference too if you wanted!

It wouldn't be as bad as adding voice acting(the worst idea ever). But it would still feel weird, and it really "changes" what Zelda is. Nintendo tried to "change" Zelda in some ways with SS and in my opinion, it didn't work at all. Change is the last thing that the Zelda series needs right now.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
It wouldn't be as bad as adding voice acting(the worst idea ever). But it would still feel weird, and it really "changes" what Zelda is. Nintendo tried to "change" Zelda in some ways with SS and in my opinion, it didn't work at all. Change is the last thing that the Zelda series needs right now.

I disagree on almost everything you said, minus SS. And actually SS's change wasn't all bad...it just could have been handled better. I see no harm in voice acting as all it does is add more emotion and feeling to the characters. Link being a girl wouldn't change anything at all...just because it's a girl doesn't mean the gameplay changes.

Dan

No, I don't like the idea of Link being a girl at all. It would bother me quite a bit actually, and yes, I am a girl so this isn't a sexist statement. I just don't think that corrupting the formula would be a good idea. Link has always been a male, and it should stay that way. Nintendo does a good job of giving power to the women by allowing Zelda to participate in the game and be a large help, too. It would just feel like it was a different story, or even legend if Link was a girl.

It's not really corrupting the formula is it ? It's just a slight change.
From your words you seem to want Zelda to stay the same, I think a CHANGE(or corruption :P) would be quite refreshing.

Skunk

Floof
I think it would be cool if Link was a girl, but to avoid confusing people even more, we should probably give her and the Prince of Hyrule different names(Zelda-boy, Link-girl. Ha, non-Zelda fans will have fun with that.)

I'd like it, I think there is a user here called Cel-shaded Deku with an awesome avatar of a female Link which i think looks really cool and i'd like to see it in a game.

Having a female Link would challenge a lot of conventions like Nintendo does with Samus (arguably until Other M wrecked her). We'd have an instantly recognisable and familiar yet wholly new and exciting character.

However the noobs outside in the general public would get massively confused but i hardly think Nintendo care about that. It could also come under fire as Nintendo seemingly trying to sexualise the series and that could create some bad press.

But, my body is ready Nintendo, bring it on!

I wouldn't mind this. I would especially love if Zelda was the main playable protagonist though. I do think that video games need more strong female leads who are not over-sexualized or fall into typical female stereotypes. The series has moved away from the damsel in distress formula years ago, which makes me happy. I'm hoping this continues and that Zelda stays a totally butt-kicker.

This conjures an image of the route Bioware took with Mass Effect 3 by introducing a female Commander Shepard character. The movement met little resistance and leveled the playing field for female gamers. Often times we picture the videogame market as a static stereotypical male dominated business but this past generation has largely bucked the trend. I once created a thread titled "Women in Gaming" and the findings were astounding, not only did females play cooking simulator, Nintendo, and other "kiddie" games on par with their male counterparts but also titles like World of Warcraft. Four of this forum's seven moderators are females and this is a testament to the new found role of the gender in the industry.

With all due respect, however, the story would have to be slightly adjusted if a female protagonist was inserted. Leaving Zelda as a female would stir a controversy. Yes we should learn to be more accepting towards others but a homosexual environment from a traditionally noncontroversial company would incite a riot. Nintendo is certainly up to the task, however, and I'd love to see it transform from theory into practice. If Miyamoto and company blasted Mario off to the stars then surely they can create a female Link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom