• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did You Use the Skyward Strike?

All the time, even without the True Master Sword's awesome variation of it. Not only did I use it in combat, but I quite often charge it up when I'm bored.

Skunk

Floof
I actually didn't fight with it much, but stood at one of the diving areas in Skyloft and watched the little laser float off in the distance...

I used it to cut grass and when there was an enemy I couldn't reach (the ones that are in lava and quicksand and spit at you)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I used the Skyward Strike quite a bit to get annoying foes out of my path. I found it to oftentimes be more useful than regular one-on-one combat with a group of Bokoblins or some other enemy. From a safe distance away I'd let the Strike power up and then run in and release it on as many as I could. It would sometimes knock down two or three depending on how they were lined up. The Zombokoblins or Horde Battle instances were the best times to the long-distance energy blasts. If I ever felt they were about to get the best of me, I'd retreat a few yards and charge the Strike, then dash back into the fray.

The Skyward Strike had its uses for taking down the larger oppressors of the pre-Hyrule area as well. Moblins when deprived of their shields would stand no chance if they were repeatedly nailed by the revolving sword beams. Even The Imprisoned fell in his mightiest state; the Strike would burst away his toes one at a time no matter how much his steps impacted the ground. In these moments the resourcefulness of it shined through what could have been a more frustrating moment in the game.

To boil things down, I tried it on pretty much every enemy I can think of. Many of them were unaffected by it, and understandably so as it would have made Skyward Sword tons easier. A few of the enemies are Skulltulas, Lizalfos, Iron-Shield Moblins, and Ghirahim (I still don't understand why the screen would do a wobbly-thingy if a Strike hit him). The Skyward Sword is a great resort to turn to if an opponent like a Technoblin is overwhelming you, though. I definitely want to see it evolve to do even more things if it ever makes a return.

I had trouble holding the sword the right way up, so before I got close to a foe, I held it up and charged, and once they spotted me I flung it at him. so every encounter started with a strike. in hero mode, because of the instantaneous strike, I used it a lot more.

The Skyward Strike was definitely a fun element to implement into the game, however I personally believe it lacked a certain . . . smoothness, if you will. There were many times I found myself in battle wanting to use it, yet it took so long to charge up I usually ended up giving up on it. I find if it had of charged up quicker and done more damage, perhaps, it would've been more worth while.

I really like the story idea behind it much better than it's actual battle usage, however, because it really did give a lot to the story. The fact that you were sort of "using the power from the Goddess" really made the whole idea behind the sword make sense. I liked how most things sky/goddess related required a Skyward Strike, such as activating a Goddess Cube or striking the bird-crest thing usually found at the end of dungeons.

The best implement the move actually gave me, however, was it's usefulness for far-off foes. It made it very convenient to surprise a foe or knock one down (I know I personally used the Skyward Strike a lot in Faron Woods to knock Bockoblins off of tight rope). Also, it came in handy if I was out of deku seeds for the slingshot or arrows for the bow.

I'm really glad they brought this move into the game and I feel it should stay unique to Skyward Sword. It gave a great-story element along with a semi-useful battle technique. I ultimately would've changed it's usability by making it a bit easier to summon. I like how they brought it full circle at the end of the game, as well, when you finally . . . egh em awkward but don't know how to make one of those Spoiler cover up things so, yeah, I'll leave it at that. Those who have finished know what it ultimately does at the games end ^.^

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
When I played through the game for the first time I did not use the Skyward Strike at all, or I used it very little. On my second playthrough I discovered how usful it is in many situation of the game. The Skyward Strike is an excellent mechanic in the game, and when used correctly it can provide excellent stragety for taking down many enemies in the game.

Skyward Strike would have been a great feature if one could use it better. Maybe it's just me, but every time I put my Wii Remote up, all Link does is jab at the sky for a while and make some weird noises. After about 15 seconds he'll finally get it and the Skyward Strike charges up. It was just really hard to use. In fact I never used it in combat, so I wouldn't know how good/bad it was. The time it took me to charge it up was just too long.

D

DestinyDecade

I use it to strike Goddess Cubes, draw on special locations and at times at desperation when I am annoyed in regards to taking down an opponent.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
No, I didn't use it that much. It really was a hassle to me. When fighting enemies in any game, I like quick, fluent combat. I hated sticking my arm up in the air for 3 seconds, especially when the Skyward Strike didn't work half the time! :( ... It was only really helpful, as people have said, for clearing out bokoblins during the descent to the final Ghirahim battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom