• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Donkey Kong Country Game

Best Donkey Kong Country Game

• Donkey Kong Country

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest

• Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

• Donkey Kong Country Returns

• Total voters
DKC is my favorite, but DKC2 and DKCR are tied for second. Retro did a fantastic job with DKCR. I love you Retro.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I said IMO. IMO = In My Opinion.

It being different was why it was horrible... IMO.

Lol i understand what IMO means. I was just pointing out that I myself didn't find it horrible. I actually really liked the boss fights and finding all of Krem Koins (some of those were hard as hell to get). My only issues were that Kiddy wasn't my favorite. It's not that he's terrible, I just thought he was a little to hard to control at times so I'd often be using Dixie instead (also she could fly which is a plus.) Also Kiddy could skip on water which was pretty awesome.

I actually liked that they added a lot of side quest into DKC3 it made it feel like it's own game. It's actually a much better game than DKC1 in almost every way. It's more challenging, the bosses don't just require you to just jump on their head, Animals were about the same, the bonus stages were much more like DKC2 and so alot better, and there were many levels that were fun as hell. Did you ever beat the game 103% by going to the secret world and also collecting all the banana birds? It actually was pretty difficult.

All in all my ranking of how often I play the games would be
1.) DKC 2
2.) DKC 3
3.) DKC
4.) DKC Returns

Last edited:
M

Missagemi

DK3 was my favorite one, I played it the most as a kid and was the first one in the DK series i beat. But I also loved DK64! It was a real good game for the start of the new 3D-gaming era.

Gotta go with Returns here. DKC2 would be a close second, but I love Returns' dynamic level design. Something's always happening, and every level is different with no two being very alike. The variety is amazing for a game like this, and it's a killer throwback to classic Donkey Kong Country with very minimalist gameplay that doesn't throw in a lot of extraneous elements to worry about. I love how action-packed it is; no other DKC game is this fast-paced and challenging. It's just lots of endless fun and while I miss the Kremlings, the Tikis were great new badguys.

My only complaint with DKC Returns were the motion controls. They felt kind of forced an unnatural in the game.
I didn't really feel that they intruded much. The only time I grow frustrated with the motion controls in Returns is during time trial, because there you have to do a lot of rolling and it very quickly wears you out physically. -.-

I actually liked that they added a lot of side quest into DKC3 it made it feel like it's own game. It's actually a much better game than DKC1 in almost every way. It's more challenging, the bosses don't just require you to just jump on their head, Animals were about the same, the bonus stages were much more like DKC2 and so alot better, and there were many levels that were fun as hell. Did you ever beat the game 103% by going to the secret world and also collecting all the banana birds? It actually was pretty difficult.
It being challenging and having a lot of side content do not automatically make the game good, as there can be poorly constructed challenge that's just frustrating or unfulfilling secrets. You'd be better off explaining how it does these things well.

As for me, I've yet to play the game but I watched some of it, and honestly the boss battles look extremely dull, repetitive, and easy.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
@Axle That was my main concern with the Motion Controls. I never really had issues except the time trials which like you said where exhausting by the end and if the motion controls didn't register at the right time then you pretty much just had to start over if you wanted the gold(I believe) medal.

Honestly didn't like the Tikis too much. There's nothing that's really wrong with them, they just didn't feel like they belonged in the Donkey Kong Universe.

No the boss battles aren't amazing, but they're better then the original is what I'm getting at. They actually require you to do something other than jump on the enemies head or throw a barrel at the boss. Boss battles aren't really the highlight of the Donkey Kong Country Series, but the point that I was getting at was that DKC3 had better bosses than DKC.

Honestly the best Boss Battles in a Donkey Kong game that I have played would be DK64. I haven't play the GameCube ones so I can't pass judgement on the entire series, but I really liked the 64 bosses. But again, I'm not really including it in this thread. Returns had the best boss battles of the 4 by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom